Page 1 of 2
Are you allowed to critique a band more successful than you? I always hate it when fans of bands/bands themselves respond to criticism with statements like "Well they/we are recording an album how far have YOU got in the music industry?"

Thoughts?
Of course you can, that counter-argument is complete nonsense.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
that counter-argument is the dumbest piece of shit anyone can use. that's for six year old kids.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
So this thread is essentially asking whether people are allowed an opinion?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
"Man, fuck Hitler."

"Well I don't see YOU invading Poland."

Yeah, instead Poland is invading Wales... I swear my town is now the Capital of Poland.
Quote by Nero Galon
Yeah, instead Poland is invading Wales... I swear my town is now the Capital of Poland.

This is a good thing, though, as there is little on this Earth more pleasing than hearing a Welsh person say 'Warsaw'.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Depends what your criticism is. I mean if you go "I've listened to this tune on my laptop's speakers and I can tell the mix is awful" then you are a proper prat and deserve any ridicule you get.
It sounds like something people say because they're butthurt/fanboys.
Last edited by Cardbored at Sep 17, 2013,
I hate, hate, HATE that logic. That means none of us can ever criticize scientists, politicians, police officers, teachers, etc.
Quote by Wormholes
I hate, hate, HATE that logic. That means none of us can ever criticize scientists, politicians, police officers, teachers, etc.

yay for current everything and everyone in it's right place eh?
well somebody has to criticize them
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If you can't hear the difference between stereo and mono you shouldn't be critiquing anybody's mixing.

This sentence doesn't really make sense. Stereo and mono just mean two and one channel audio, respectively.
Quote by macashmack
You;re allowed to critics whatever ;fa0yo want fdbitafcvh

Are you a Methodist?
Quote by captainsnazz
This sentence doesn't really make sense. Stereo and mono just mean two and one channel audio, respectively.

the way its recorded?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Are you allowed to critique a band more successful than you?

Yes, because you're stating your opinion.

I always hate it when fans of bands/bands themselves respond to criticism with statements like "Well they/we are recording an album how far have YOU got in the music industry?"

Such statements are meaningless. You can have an opinion on a band or album without being as successful or more successful than the band you're critiquing.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
the way its recorded?

What about it?

Snazz, you know what he meant anyway you mean person
Well I think most "criticism" from most people are retarded but there's nothing inherently wrong with criticism.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Like hearing for the millionth time from other pianists that Glenn Gould doesn't play Bach with 'soul'?

Those people are stupid and have no ears
Anyone should be able to criticize bands and artists, however, whether their criticism is good or bad is up to how much knowledge a person has on that which they are criticizing.
Quote by entity0009
Yeah, it's Children of Bodom, it's meant to sound muted.

Bazing. GG WP.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by CL/\SH
Ooh I'm on the internet and I can say I don't like this song, ooooh

Ooh I'm on the internet and I can condescendingly say this topic is stupid.

Ooh I'm on the internet and I can say you're on a high horse.

Over...and over...and over...AND OVER A ****ING GAIN. JUST SHUT UP YOU USELESS UNINTELLIGENT WASTES OF FLESH. HAVE SOME BALLS, PICK A SIDE, OR SHUT THE **** UP!
Quote by Morphogenesis26

Over...and over...and over...AND OVER A ****ING GAIN. JUST SHUT UP YOU USELESS UNINTELLIGENT WASTES OF FLESH. HAVE SOME BALLS, PICK A SIDE, OR SHUT THE **** UP!

Observe the youtube comment section (though it's not in its indigenous habitat), as it blathers on with no regard for rationality or basic human decency.
In the day and age of Internet everything is nit-picked and criticized to death. Basically everyone has an opinion and with the raw uncensored info-dump of forums, blogs and podcasts the entire known universe is now getting these opinions. Trouble is not everyone is fit to be a critic and not everything needs to be criticized. More often than not criticizing something is unwarranted and should be kept to ones self but that is not the way of the world now. anonymous people talking crap about things they are not part of to impress people they do not and will never know.

CAN you criticize a music group in this manner? sure. Should you? eh... maybe not.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by Morphogenesis26

lol i like u
I think people should criticise whoever they like, regardless of their level of success in a particular field.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
If nobody criticised anybody, there would be so much more shit music within my hearing range. I wouldn't live in that world if you payed me.
Any critic that thinks their opinion is anything more than their own opinion, that a band is somehow objectively bad is a complete idiot. No matter the music, it either appeals to you or it doesn't. Simple as that. Critics are just pointless egotistical ****s jerking off while hoping people watch (read).

Reviews on the other hand are very nice, I don't like it when people put their opinions into them, but when they break it down, explain the parts and what's going on for people yet to hear it is quite nice.
Any critic that thinks their opinion is anything more than their own opinion, that a band is somehow objectively bad is a complete idiot

The idea is that your supposed to find reviewers with similar interests to you, cause then you know that their opinion will most likely be your opinion.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
The idea is that your supposed to find reviewers with similar interests to you, cause then you know that their opinion will most likely be your opinion.

You missed:
Reviews on the other hand are very nice, I don't like it when people put their opinions into them, but when they break it down, explain the parts and what's going on for people yet to hear it is quite nice.
ah my bad, but yeah I agree. I have a mate who consistently bags on anything he doesn't like. it's either complete shit, or the holy grail to him.
Page 1 of 2