hi,

i have a fender bassman 100 head and an epi leas paul ultra II with SH-6 bridge pup. usually when i play on the amp it never breaks up and only gets muddy on higher volumes, but when my friend used his washburn series-X (same pups) it distorted right away and it sounded amazing ! i was very disappointed but at the same time happy that my restored amp sounds great ! but why does my guitar with same pups sound much weaker ? will using thicker strings solve the issue ? i am currently using 9 gauge strings. it just sounds much weaker than the washburn.

any ideas ?

** i am also going to get rid of the PCB inside the rewire the whole thing with some CTS pots.
Could be a combination of his pups being hotter and him having them set closer to the strings that gives that extra edge.

EDIT: And are you sure you didn't accidentally put a Distortion Neck in instead of the bridge model? There's a pretty big output difference between them, haha.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 17, 2013,
im sure i got the SH-6B on the bridge, i tried raising the pup too, not even close to the output he had
Could be wired wrong, but I'm hesitant to say that, as usually that would have very obvious results to you.

But it never hurts to resolder all the connections anyway.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i checkd the DC resistance from the output jack, it reads abut 15.5k which is about right, so the wiring should be ok. once i rewire everything with the new pots ill post the results here. until then ill use a heavier gauge strings and see what happens. cheers.
Sounds like it could be your pots.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Changed pots with 4 500k CTS pots
changed selector switch.
rewired everything with a .047uF cap.

the pickup bleed issue is now gone. but the thin output is still the same, i mean the neck and bridge pups almost sound the same (SH-1N 59' and SH-6B) the neck pup is far from the strings and bridge pup is pretty close to the strings. should i just give up ?
Are you sure you're using the right color codes?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah, bare wire + green to ground, red + white soldered together and insulated and black to volume pot. DC resistance measures fine, 16k for the bridge pup and 7.4k for neck pup.
Last edited by subway_savage at Sep 22, 2013,