http://admin.alternet.org/media/most-depressing-discovery-about-brain-ever

Here’s some of what Nyhan found:

-People who thought WMDs were found in Iraq believed that misinformation even more strongly when they were shown a news story correcting it.

-People who thought George W. Bush banned all stem cell research kept thinking he did that even after they were shown an article saying that only some federally funded stem cell work was stopped.

-People who said the economy was the most important issue to them, and who disapproved of Obama’s economic record, were shown a graph of nonfarm employment over the prior year – a rising line, adding about a million jobs. They were asked whether the number of people with jobs had gone up, down or stayed about the same. Many, looking straight at the graph, said down.

-But if, before they were shown the graph, they were asked to write a few sentences about an experience that made them feel good about themselves, a significant number of them changed their minds about the economy. If you spend a few minutes affirming your self-worth, you’re more likely to say that the number of jobs increased.

Choose your friends and allies wisely.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

politics = sports teams
American voters I'm only teasing. However, any american ever interviewed on television about politics that wasn't a grad student or a scholar has always come across as apocalyptically stupid. I'd share the youtube clip that's been around recently that highlights the worst of the worst, but it's just terrible to watch.

But that's television, only frames the worth light possible with the most stupid people.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
But that's television, only frames the worth light possible with the most stupid people.

I think your keyboard has a lisp.

OT: Yes, everyone is biased. We all do it, the only explicitly stupid thing would be to deny that you do.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
OT: Yes, everyone is biased. We all do it, the only explicitly stupid thing would be to deny that you do.

I'm not biased
Quote by CL/\SH
I'm not biased

Wrong.
Quote by CL/\SH
Right

This reminds me of the op
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Yeah well there will always be members of the public who support party doctrine/policies simply because it's their party that is pushing the policy. Many people base their support or dissent of a particular idea based on who came up with it not the actual pros/cons of the idea itself.
Quote by Todd Hart
I think your keyboard has a lisp.

If you catch the high brow channels it's an entirely different world all together - and they're obviously the only ones worth watching, but I was talking about the general scope of television.

It's the same with the moon landings. You can even test it yourself by firing a laserbeam off some reflectors on the moon that NASA left, and people still say it didn't happen. Even after physical proof.

Surely there's a link to emotional intelligence in all of this though? Wouldn't higher emotional intelligence lead to a greater use of logic therein preventing this trend in those with a high emotional intelligence level? And emotional intelligence isn't tit for tat in regards to general intelligence, as far as I know.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
This reminds me of the op

Left

Politics are boring, and predictable.

"You're wrong"

"No you're wrong"

" "

" "
Quote by CL/\SH
Right

Afraid not.

Quote by Anthony1991
If you catch the high brow channels it's an entirely different world all together - and they're obviously the only ones worth watching, but I was talking about the general scope of television.

It's the same with the moon landings. You can even test it yourself by firing a laserbeam off some reflectors on the moon that NASA left, and people still say it didn't happen. Even after physical proof.

Surely there's a link to emotional intelligence in all of this though? Wouldn't higher emotional intelligence lead to a greater use of logic therein preventing this trend in those with a high emotional intelligence level? And emotional intelligence isn't tit for tat in regards to general intelligence, as far as I know.

Well if you already believe that NASA faked the launch (read: if you're a waste of oxygen) then you're hardly going to believe the same company when they further prove themselves.

And I would say that emotional intelligence is certainly part of the problem: we're all very clearly prone to confirmation bias and similar logic fallacies. However, I'd say that more important is the concept of face. That is, nobody will admit that a deep-seated political view/opinion that they hold is wrong in the moment; when it's shown to be wrong in argument or by a researcher. People will change their views, but they will never do it directly under pressure, they will move away and consolidate what they find and feel to be true elsewhere.

A personal example: if you look at my posts from 2009/10 it's clear that I was completely and ubiquitously anti-war; anti-Iraq war, anti-western intervention, pro-'it's all just about the oil'. Now I'm completely against that point. However, I'm almost 100% certain that you will never find a point at which I admitted that my previous opinion was wrong, because to do so would mean to lose face and to lose credibility in a political argument.

It's the grand irony of debate: what every speaker wants is to convince his opponent to come over to his point of view, because the second they admit that you are right the proof that they are an idiot is finally confirmed by their lack of resolve.
I know but still, when you can physically test and prove something yourself - I'm sorry it just depresses me even further when such easy to obtain proof is cast-aside by morons.

Fair enough - I also think it's to do with the real time issues of debate. And the concept of face is right, even the way English structured instinctively means your words are framed around protecting the concept of face. Place language and debate hand in hand and you don't get real time compromise.

Maybe the Ents had it right all this time. Take forever to say something and come up with a balanced idea, shame it takes forever and by the time that's done Sauran's come in burnt your country down.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
whats really interesting is if you showed this to one of said super logical thinkers would they agree and laugh and say the rest of the populus is sheeple
Life makes more sense when you realize that the how something is communicated more important than what is communicated. It's not something that makes you feel good, but it makes sense.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Anyone who has read any academic literature on party affiliation should be familiar with this phenomena.

It is the reason I don't have political opinions anymore.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by Mr E Meat
whats really interesting is if you showed this to one of said super logical thinkers would they agree and laugh and say the rest of the populus is sheeple

Even when you showed them that they do exactly the same thing.
lol confirmation bias

lyk ppl who blieve Obama wuz aktualy born in Murica and then wen dat wuz prooved wrong they still blieve he's Murican lolol
Last edited by progdude93 at Sep 17, 2013,
Quote by Todd Hart
Even when you showed them that they do exactly the same thing.

Depends on who you show it to, though.

I am an intellectual elite, and I only think roughly 80% of the population is beneath me.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
What they should have done is killed each and every moron in that survey. Intellectual cleansing.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
In related news, a black man helped your grandmother across the street and gave her $5. She still hates him.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Digital Performer > Logic
Pro Tools > Logic
Cubase > Logic

fuk logic

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
The proceeding research could be cool though. Finding out the effects of confirmation bias on people that are aware of it, those that regularly divulge in masturbatory thought experiments (debate) etc
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
This makes me wonder if we should focus on maintaining some kind of Mothering apparatus. You know, so we can get shit done quicker, and people would drop arguments over semantics because there would be a system out there to tell you "You're too smart to be doing this" rather than "You're an idiot"
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Anthony1991
American voters I'm only teasing. However, any american ever interviewed on television about politics that wasn't a grad student or a scholar has always come across as apocalyptically stupid. I'd share the youtube clip that's been around recently that highlights the worst of the worst, but it's just terrible to watch.

Ya OK.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL1jDcAHkc8
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by eGraham
Depends on who you show it to, though.

I am an intellectual elite, and I only think roughly 80% of the population is beneath me.

You sigged me. You're obviously an elite creature.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.