Does any one have any suggestions for making a head less responsive when cranked? I play an Egnater Renegade with the gain at around 1 o'clock, and the channel volume usually pretty high before I factor in the Master volume. I tend to hit the strings pretty hard naturally and prefer a feel that is a lot tighter than what I'm getting. Is there a pedal or a compressor maybe that can help me out?

Thanks
An overdrive like a Tubescreamer would likely tighten it up (that's quite possibly their most common use). A compressor could help as well...

Have you eliminated the possibility of tweaking the settings to get the desired effect?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Play cleaner, go work on your technique

get a TS pedal like was suggested
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not incredibly familiar with your amp, so I can't make any comments on what might help it specifically. It might be just the voice from the combination of your hands+guitar+amp.
What genre's are you playing?
The higher the volume, the more responsive an amp is to picking dynamics. Use a lighter touch? A compressor, in theory, would help out, though.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
use the tone knob man
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Check out the Pigtronix Philospher's Rock.

Definitely get an OD first though. The Bad Monkey is great to have in general given it's price.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I used to own a Renegade, and I can attest to the fact that a TS really tightens that sucker up. What I think is happening is that you are just coming down way too hard on the strings. You might want to try and play with the pickup height and maybe use a lighter pick, or take some of the other suggestions here. Trial and error my friend.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
There is such a thing as tight attack and responsiveness, isn't there? An abundance of both attributes can make some amps a nightmare for some players to play on. Tubescreamer is an easy fix.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by cdr_salamander
I used to own a Renegade, and I can attest to the fact that a TS really tightens that sucker up. What I think is happening is that you are just coming down way too hard on the strings. You might want to try and play with the pickup height and maybe use a lighter pick, or take some of the other suggestions here. Trial and error my friend.

+1 i had one too. for some reason that is one of maybe three or four amps an OCD really worked well as an OD (which is rather uncommon.

i may have clips on my profile. but i sold it a few years ago.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/