If you want to skip everything pretty much I’m asking what to look for in a musical instrument pawn shop if I want a noise gate and overdrive, or any treasures I should keep an eye out for.

Hi there guys. I’m planning on going to a specialty pawn shop soon that’s essentially the typical music shop that we all go to. Only that everything but things like cables and strings are used. I want to get a noise gate to help with my amps noise on the lead channel (set up for rock and metal) and my ever so noisy Boss CS-3. I also want to get an OD pedal as a boost for my lead channel to tighten things up, get a “classic rock” tone when I want it, and a clean boost. I don’t know what I’m looking for specifically for the noise gate but chances are I’m going to find something older made by DOD and for the OD I might want some kind of a TS or a specific boost pedal like the MXR Zack Wylde OD. After looking at youtube demos the MXR ZW-44 Wylde Overdrive Pedal, Maxon OD808, Digitech Bad Monkey, and any of the Ibanez Tube Screamers have my interest at the moment. To what I know of most of the bands I listen to regularly use a Ibanez or Maxon Tube Screamer and I know of one or two that uses a Boss Blues Driver.

Not knowing what’s there can you guys recommend me a few overdrives and noise gates to pick from (vintage, out of production and modern), what to watch out for in general, things that are treasures, collectables or anything I should shoot myself in the foot for not getting?

Shops website: http://briz.us/ Note: the pics on there are old. As in I remember seeing all of them a year or too ago when I first heard of it.

Shops facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brizloan

Budget? –Unknown due to it’ll be spending money I get for my 22nd bday but hopefully $30 - $60 per pedal

Genres? – Metal (As I Lay Dying, Judas Priest, old Metalica, old Bullet for my Valentine, Misery Signals), Rock (Breaking Benjamin, Red, Bon Jovi, Kenny Loggins, Michael Jacksons past guitarist, Vanhalen ), figure style (no one specific, more like currently studying it or screwing around)

New or Used? Used. Going to a specialty pawn shop

Home or Gig? – Home for now. Hope to gig eventually

Closest City? – Live in Vancouver WA, Portland OR area

Current Gear? – Kustom Amplification HV 65T Hybrid amp, Boss CS-3, Digitech Metal Master, MXR 10 Band EQ, DOD DFX9, Dean Vendetta 1, Dean Noir V XT, Ibanez Gio GRG 170

Thank you for your time
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
a boost tends to work better with an all-tube amp, unfortunately...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For a noise gate on budget, Joyo noise gate seems to be a good deal. Judging from the Youtube reviews (all 1 one them ) it seems to do exactly what it needs to, cut the sound when it hits the threshold you have set up. No fade outs and bells and whistels, just cut. I doubt you can find one in a pawnshop, just order one from ebay or dealextreme from China. Its cheap.

For pawn shop finds look for Boss NS-2.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Sep 18, 2013,
Go here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear they always have Boss NS-2's for $45-$55 each the same goes for an OD they have Bad Monkeys from $25, TS-9 for $40+

I bought a MXR Smart Gate and a Morley Bad Horsie 2 for $125 from them that was tax and shipping from 2 different stores, both work flawless and they give you a 30 day return policy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate