Lately I've been getting into deathcore/grindcore music. I have my six string guitar tuned to drop A. I'm having trouble writing sweeps for this tuning (without the high e).

So I guess my question is: What are the specific interval formulas for writing arpeggios in say, a diminished scale? Or how do you determine what chords go good over the scale through analysis? Really nasty sounding, dissonant arpeggios.

Or are most of the arpeggios in tech death esque music just random chromatics?
"The mind is everything. What you think, you become."
I am not that much into the tech-death scene, but i will give you advice that helps all styles regarding this.

Learn songs you like that use the thing you want to learn (in this case arpeggios), and then analyze them. It will benefit you more.

Pick out a section of a song that uses it, analyze what kind of intervals are in the arpeggio, analyze how it relates to the underlying harmony, and then try writing short pieces using the same method.

Regarding your question on intervals in the diminished scale and such. Generally you just harmonize in thirds. So you will play every other note in the scale and that will outline the chord.

For example: C half-whole diminished is: C Db Eb Fb Gb G A Bb. Getting the chords out of it you just take every other note. So you have C Eb Gb Bb, 1 b3 b5 b7. If you want other kinds of dissonant chords you can try harmonizing in fourths. So it would be C Fb A Db.

Hope that was to any use.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
You want to use that harmonic minor scale with them minor arpeggios and linking them with some diminshed 7th arpeggios in the style of necrophagist.
Marty Friedman+Jason Becker=Cacophony
What does the tuning matter? Your highest string is the same as high E string but just tuned lower (so your arpeggios will sound lower). The arpeggios are the same as in standard tuning. If you want it to sound the same as in standard, you just need to transpose the arpeggios. But they are the same shapes you would use in standard tuning.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
What does the tuning matter? Your highest string is the same as high E string but just tuned lower (so your arpeggios will sound lower). The arpeggios are the same as in standard tuning. If you want it to sound the same as in standard, you just need to transpose the arpeggios. But they are the same shapes you would use in standard tuning.

Well, if he's in Drop A then the lowest string will be different then standard, but the shapes would be the same on the other 5 strings.

Anyways, TS, sounds like you just need to study up on building chords and arpeggios. The kind of arpeggios you use is entirely up to you and depends on the song you're writing.

Of course, if you want the whole song to sound nasty and dissonant you can just string minor thirds and tritones together and add in random chromatic notes... but that always sounds like someone with very little musical knowledge and a little physical ability trying to show off. *cough*kerryking*cough*
Quote by The4thHorsemen
Well, if he's in Drop A then the lowest string will be different then standard, but the shapes would be the same on the other 5 strings.

Anyways, TS, sounds like you just need to study up on building chords and arpeggios. The kind of arpeggios you use is entirely up to you and depends on the song you're writing.

Of course, if you want the whole song to sound nasty and dissonant you can just string minor thirds and tritones together and add in random chromatic notes... but that always sounds like someone with very little musical knowledge and a little physical ability trying to show off. *cough*kerryking*cough*

Yeah, I wasn't expecting him to play 6 string arpeggios. But the lowest string is just a whole step lower so you need to move the notes on your lowest string two frets up.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115