So I'm currently living in a studio apartment with my brother, and I'm in the market for a two-bedroom the next town over. Assuming a $1200 rent ceiling, what kind of figure am I looking at to finance the act of moving; what specific expenses are there?

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Depending on how far / how much you have to move, anywhere from free to a few hundred bucks.

If you don't need to rent a u-haul, you're just paying for some gas and food. If you need to rent u-haul, will be at least 100-200 for a typical move.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Electric, water, internet

+ food.

1200 is pretty steep, at least it is in my area.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Xiaoxi
Depending on how far / how much you have to move, anywhere from free to a few hundred bucks.

If you don't need to rent a u-haul, you're just paying for some gas and food. If you need to rent u-haul, will be at least 100-200 for a typical move.

One of my family members owns a local/regional transportation business, I'm thinking we'll ask to borrow one of the vans (not a minivan) he uses for runs. That and maybe a few friends/family members' help should cover it (10 minute ride between locations, tops). I'm also figuring first/last month's rent and a security deposit, where does that put me, like, $3500?

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
There's renting a truck, paying for gas, buying boxes and tape, paying first, last, and security, renter's insurance, the inevitable strain of relationships if you ask someone to help you move, between you and the person you're moving with, a certain someone claiming they're just going to "stay a few days" and then ending up staying for a few months and putting you in a position where you're violating the lease agreement, having a slumlord who doesn't understand the words "emergency repair needed," cats refusing to eat and meowing constantly, creepy neighbors who bring you shitty flax "brownies" with screaming toddlers, having to change your address and apply for a new license, and not wanting to ever have to go through something so terrible again.
Quote by Rossenrot
Moving? Get a some friends, buy a 12 pack and 2 pizzas. You're moved.

And at least one of those friends needs to have, or have access to, a truck.
Quote by MakinLattes
There's renting a truck, paying for gas, buying boxes and tape, paying first, last, and security, renter's insurance, the inevitable strain of relationships if you ask someone to help you move, between you and the person you're moving with, a certain someone claiming they're just going to "stay a few days" and then ending up staying for a few months and putting you in a position where you're violating the lease agreement, having a slumlord who doesn't understand the words "emergency repair needed," cats refusing to eat and meowing constantly, creepy neighbors who bring you shitty flax "brownies" with screaming toddlers, having to change your address and apply for a new license, and not wanting to ever have to go through something so terrible again.

I guess I'll just stay in this half flooded room that gets as cold as outside at night in that case

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
Gas, food, possible truck rental, and some buffer cash for when one of your stupid friends hurts himself moving your stuff.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by cho0onger
One of my family members owns a local/regional transportation business, I'm thinking we'll ask to borrow one of the vans (not a minivan) he uses for runs. That and maybe a few friends/family members' help should cover it (10 minute ride between locations, tops). I'm also figuring first/last month's rent and a security deposit, where does that put me, like, $3500?

When I was in Boston it was mostly first, last, security (half of rent). But yea $3500 for the whole deal sounds about right.

ps MA rulez

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^ Depends on your credit as far as paying rent in advance. If your credit score is shit like mine, they'll ask for first and last month's rent in advance, as well as a security deposit. If you've got a good score, they'll generally only ask for the first/current month's rent, and if your landlord is absolutely cool, he'll pro-rate your rent since we're halfway through the month.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
You have it figured. First month last month and typically 1 months for security deposit. So if you go 1200/mo ya you're looking at 3600 to sign the lease.
Moving expenses themselves vary wildly depending on how many friends owe you favors.
If you are going with 1200/month make sure it includes utilities.

I'm busy that weekend.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by strat0blaster
^ Depends on your credit as far as paying rent in advance. If your credit score is shit like mine, they'll ask for first and last month's rent in advance, as well as a security deposit. If you've got a good score, they'll generally only ask for the first/current month's rent, and if your landlord is absolutely cool, he'll pro-rate your rent since we're halfway through the month.

Depends on where in the country. In/around Boston, since there are so many college people / young adults it's pretty much across the board the same...first last security

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Moving can be a logistics nightmare though, make sure you label your boxes. I'm moving right now too, and it's no small task. Are you moving with your brother?
Quote by Xiaoxi
Depends on where in the country. In/around Boston, since there are so many college people / young adults it's pretty much across the board the same...first last security

Ah true - hadn't figured on demographics, and should have. Always been first/last for me because my credit is horrid. Wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by Jackal58
You have it figured. First month last month and typically 1 months for security deposit. So if you go 1200/mo ya you're looking at 3600 to sign the lease.
Moving expenses themselves vary wildly depending on how many friends owe you favors.
If you are going with 1200/month make sure it includes utilities.

I'm busy that weekend.

Ye. That's not too high a mountain to climb.
Quote by Xiaoxi
When I was in Boston it was mostly first, last, security (half of rent). But yea $3500 for the whole deal sounds about right.

ps MA rulez

I live in Beverly, am moving to Salem, and I work in Faneuil Hall.

EDIT:
Quote by Rossenrot
Moving can be a logistics nightmare though, make sure you label your boxes. I'm moving right now too, and it's no small task. Are you moving with your brother?

Yeah. It's mostly just his shit though, and there's not a ton of it. The main thing is gonna be his bed, which is a queen. I sleep on an air mattress and beyond that I basically just have clothes.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
Last edited by cho0onger at Sep 17, 2013,
Quote by strat0blaster
Ah true - hadn't figured on demographics, and should have. Always been first/last for me because my credit is horrid. Wouldn't know the difference anyway.
That's why you ask your parents to co-sign it

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by cho0onger

I live in Beverly, am moving to Salem, and I work in Faneuil Hall.

Oh where specifically??

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Oh where specifically??

A restaurant. A well-known one.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
DICK'S LAST RESORT?!!?!?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Across from it, people come in with those stupid hats all the time lol. Did you work there?

Quote by CoreysMonster

Quote by OneHappyCamper
http://dailyinfographic.com/moving-checklist-infographic

That might help.

Are you talking about just getting all your stuff from A to B? Or are you talking bills, tax, food, etc? Because i don't really know much about rent prices in the US. Over here though, the cheap side of things is about £390 to £490, but then there's council tax and bills.

As far as moving goes, it's helpful to have a friend or family member with a car, unless you are moving it over a long distance or moving big items like beds and stuff. If you do get a friend to help you, make sure to pull your weight and share the load, otherwise they will be pissed that they did all the shit for you.

As it said in the infographic, have an emergency box that contains things like food, cooking appliances like kettles, toasters, etc. so that you can unpack that immediately and at least have a hot drink and some food without having to rummage through loads of stuff.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.