Hey so possibly I'm a moron. Recently I came into possession of some speakers and amplifiers with which I have no idea what to do. I've never played through anything but combo amps and I'm horrible with technical stuff, so maybe this is really simple. Here's what I'm working with now (all I have is the information printed on the equipment):

Speakers:
Sunn 610 S
-200 RMS
-6 ohm
Kustom CTS (3 speakers, I believe 2 are original Kustom speakers and one is a carvin?)
Peavey 115 bass enclosure
-Impedence 4 ohms
There are also a couple of 15 inch Carvin bass speaker cabinets that I haven't brought home yet

Amps:
Peavey 400BH
-Two outputs, one says 210w/4 ohms and the other 300w/2 ohms
-30 v RMS
-I found the manual for this thing online but I didn't really understand it.
Peavey Classic Series 120 tube power amp
Carvin FET 1000 power amp

I know a lot of this stuff is kind of old and people may not have direct experience with it, but I'm sure the principles involved in dealing with these things are universal so hopefully someone can help me out. I have many questions.

1. The Peavey 400BH plays fine through the Carvin 15 inch speakers, however when I try to plug it into the Peavey 115 (with which I think it was probably packaged), no sound comes out. Should I take the Peavey 115 to guitar center to have it checked out, or am I missing something?

2. How do I use power amps? I have no idea what these things are.

3. I'm terrified of the possibility of blowing out my speakers or doing something stupid to ruin the equipment in general. I'm refraining from wiring anything up until I know what I'm doing, but I can't find anything straightforward on how to do this. I'm sure it all has to do with watts and ohms and stuff.

4. Can I like, run one of my combo amps into a power amp and then into a speaker cabinet? Again, I don't really know what a power amp is/does so This may be a completely misguided notion. All I have is a bass head and I'd like to be able to play guitar through the speakers.

5. Both the Sunn and the Kustom cabinets have two 1/4" plugs in the back. Why are there 2 of them? Which one do I plug into?

Anyway, thanks for reading, I know it's a lot of questions that probably have simple answers but I'm really intimidated by all this equipment and I just want to make sure I don't **** anything up.
Last edited by FriendlyFace at Sep 18, 2013,
An amp consists of two main components. The preamp and the power amp.

The power amp is the part that does all the heavy lifting. It is what produces the power needed to drive the speakers.

The preamp raises the signal high enough to be fed into the power amp. It is also where the vast majority of the tone sculpting comes from.

The Peavey 400BH has both components inside it. It does have a "preamp out" IIRC so you can use just the preamp if you desire. You connect that to the input of a power amp.
So guitar > 400BH input > 400BH preamp out > power amp input > speakers.

The two inputs on those are just paralleled up for daisy chaining them I think. If they are for other purpose they'll be labelled. just watch your impedances. Each time you you add a cab in parallel the impedance drops according to:

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 18, 2013,
Ok so since my head is 4 or 2 ohms, does that mean I can't run it through the Sunn, which is 6 ohms? Or can I do something with a power amp that will allow me to do that? Also how can I figure out how many ohms it's safe to use the Kustom cabinet with? It doesn't say anywhere on the outside. Gah I never knew this stuff was so complicated!
Quote by FriendlyFace
1. The Peavey 400BH plays fine through the Carvin 15 inch speakers, however when I try to plug it into the Peavey 115 (with which I think it was probably packaged), no sound comes out. Should I take the Peavey 115 to guitar center to have it checked out, or am I missing something?

something seems to be wrong with the speaker cab. they are simple things, it is either the wiring or the speaker. it's easy to check the wiring and rewire it yourself if you are handy. it's also easy to replace the speaker

Quote by FriendlyFace
2. How do I use power amps? I have no idea what these things are.

send a line level audio signal to the power amp and send the power amp out to a speaker cabinet.

power amps are made to amplify signals like ipod outputs, computer outputs or general preamp outputs so that they can be sent to a speaker cabinet.

Quote by FriendlyFace
3. I'm terrified of the possibility of blowing out my speakers or doing something stupid to ruin the equipment in general. I'm refraining from wiring anything up until I know what I'm doing, but I can't find anything straightforward on how to do this. I'm sure it all has to do with watts and ohms and stuff.

yup.

your solid state power amps need a minimum impedance to work proper. usually any impedance 4 ohms or above is adequate.

a tube power amp would need a matched impedance. so if the tube amps output jack says 8 ohms, then the cabinet you hook to it needs to be rated for 8 ohms.

your speaker cabinets should be rated for more 'wattage'/power output of you amplifier. so if you power amp is delivering 400 watts of power you want a 400+ watt rated cabinet.

you should probably brush up on connecting electrical devices in parallel. (see cath's post)

Quote by FriendlyFace
4. Can I like, run one of my combo amps into a power amp and then into a speaker cabinet? Again, I don't really know what a power amp is/does so This may be a completely misguided notion. All I have is a bass head and I'd like to be able to play guitar through the speakers.

you wouldn't run the speaker out of your combo amp into a power amp. some combo's have line level outputs you can send to a power amp though, or you could probably also send the effects out of your combo to a power amp.

Quote by FriendlyFace
5. Both the Sunn and the Kustom cabinets have two 1/4" plugs in the back. Why are there 2 of them? Which one do I plug into?

the two jacks are generally hooked together in parallel, this allows you to easily run multiple cabinets by daisy chaining one cabinet to another and effectively connecting them with a parallel connections.

you can plug into either one if this is the case.

sometimes the two jacks will run the signal to different speakers in the cabinet, this is generally referred to as a stereo cabinet. i don't think the cabinets you have are stereo cabinets.

Quote by FriendlyFace
Anyway, thanks for reading, I know it's a lot of questions that probably have simple answers but I'm really intimidated by all this equipment and I just want to make sure I don't **** anything up.

good man. ask away.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 18, 2013,
2 ohms is the minimum impedance you can run. You don't have to run it at 4 or 2, it just has to be 2 or higher. The higher the impedance the lower the power output from the amp. You will see us talking about matching impedance all the time which has probably confused you but it's only tube amps that have to be matched. Solid state amps just have a minimum impedance, you don't have to match them per se.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification