So i'm attempting to start my own business (srs), but I have no idea where to start, but I thought i'd find out if a 16 year old can hire out a premise, If every thing goes to plan I won't be doing this for about 6 months, i've saved up about a grand but this is probably not near enough. The money part isn't that important because the business won't need that much resources.
Simple answer is no.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by whywefight
what business is it?

The back story is that there's no real venues where I live and I want to start one where the independant bands and artists can play, so you could have multiple bands on in one night, charge like 5 euro a person, I thought the place could have different nights for totally unknown bands like a metal night, acoustic night, stuff like that where there would be around 3 different bands playing, but other bands that are a little bit more established can have there own gig if they have a fanbase which would make a reasonable amount of people show up.
you wanna know why those "indie" type venues work?

because they're not just venues, they're other businesses like cafes, bars etc.
yeah. and your chances of being successful would be infinitely better if you could provide alcohol for your patrons and stuff. and idk how hard that is but your age certainly won't make that any easier
Quote by CL/\SH
yeah. and your chances of being successful would be infinitely better if you could provide alcohol for your patrons and stuff. and idk how hard that is but your age certainly won't make that any easier

The idea is too serve alcohol too, but that won't be it's main purpose, it's not going to be a bar or anything, it's just going to be a big room with a stage, it's going to have it's own pa system too. I'm gonna try and see if I can find investors or something.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
The idea is too serve alcohol too, but that won't be it's main purpose, it's not going to be a bar or anything, it's just going to be a big room with a stage, it's going to have it's own pa system too. I'm gonna try and see if I can find investors or something.

you may have better luck if you turn it into a theater instead. people will actually go to watch plays and you can still have shows too
Quote by Avedas
you may have better luck if you turn it into a theater instead. people will actually go to watch plays and you can still have shows too

Yeah but that would require seating and stuff, the image I have in my head is a CBGB's type place.
If you are planning on serving alcohol then the premises needs to be licensed.
Quote by whoomit
If you are planning on serving alcohol then the premises needs to be licensed.

Can someone my age get a license like that ?
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Can someone my age get a license like that ?

I'm not sure, but I doubt it. I'm pretty certain you have to be 18 to serve alcohol anyway.

I don't know if you're in N. Ireland or the Republic though, so it could be different. Check the gov.uk website for licensing laws if you're in Northern Ireland. If you're in the Republic then they've probably got their own website.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Yeah but that would require seating and stuff, the image I have in my head is a CBGB's type place.

so basically a bar. i understand what you're getting at and we have similar things here that kinda work i guess. good luck
Quote by whoomit
I'm not sure, but I doubt it. I'm pretty certain you have to be 18 to serve alcohol anyway.

I don't know if you're in N. Ireland or the Republic though, so it could be different. Check the gov.uk website for licensing laws if you're in Northern Ireland. If you're in the Republic then they've probably got their own website.

Iv'e been thinking that I don't want the place to serve alcohol, just maybe normal drinks like coke and stuff, I want to keep it about the music, I also want the place to open for people above 15 or 16, there's no place here where teens can go to gigs that aren't big bands in an arena.
restricted bar section, otherwise you're not going to make any money
Sounds like a great idea, but a horrible business.. How are you gonna make money? Like some others have said, it would be a good idea to combine it with something else, like a bar or cafe.. I think you should keep it in the thinking phase for now, your only 16, basically you cant do anything without someone standing as a guarantee, like one of your parents.. Why not talk to a local bars and try to find some already existing venue to work with..
Current gear:
Fender Road Worn 60's Strat
Hohner SE35
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
It's a really good idea and I'd love to do something along those lines at some point but I think you'll struggle to get it off the ground initially, your age being a major factor.

Perhaps a better idea to get it started it is to look at an existing venue to perhaps put on a show for local bands once or month or something, build up a presence get a decent sense of community going and then look at expanding out to your own venue. There are loads of pubs in my area who do things like that. That way you can learn a bit more about what it's gonna take to run it without having your own venue on the line at first, maybe six months to a year down the line if it takes off you can have your own venue and you'll have that experience to carry on.

Have you got any experience with events management at all? Productions your school/college has put on, that sort of thing? If not, try and get involved in those as well, it'll only help.

Good luck dude.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

3 bands a night?

Assuming you're not in a city, which would fall in line with your previous comments, I think you overestimate how many bands there are in a place that doesnt even have an existing venue like you say.

There is no viable money making business here.

As Theo Paphitis would say, I'm out.
Last edited by sam b at Sep 18, 2013,
I saw an episode of Shameless (U.S. version) where the main character rents a venue, security, alcohol, fire marshall inspection, licenses to serve, taxes to pay, waitstaff, promo stuff, door people, parking, etc.. etc...

Not to discourage your dreams but the Shameless character lends up paying not making money in the end to host that kind of event. The secret turns out to be, like someone else already said, having your own venue. Otherwise, the costs, headache and liability far outweigh the profit.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Don't really get what you're doing. You're planning on renting out a building for 6 months?
Quote by willT08
Don't really get what you're doing. You're planning on renting out a building for 6 months?

He's also 16 with a highly thought out business plan as he has presented as above.
Quote by willT08

I read it as he won't be able to do anything for another six months because money.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

OK OP, I'm gonna give it to you straight.

Your idea is shit. There's nothing really unique and you at the age of 16 are probably unable to offer what a competitor would.

Unless you're running a mad popular venue (glhf) its not going to run you a profit either.

Now, what could be done if the idea really suits you is by looking to local government and charity groups to liaee with them to create a community facility and stuff, with then providing financial assistance. This is also probably a bit beyond the scope of one dude, especially someone like us who has to focus on school and shit too, but its actually a pretty good model once placed into effect (take Zeal.org.nz for example, which was basically a local govt +charity endeavour. It is/was? Pretty successful.) That's what I can see going, if anywhere. Renting a premise should be far less of a concern than an initial business plan to secure investment from groups.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Iv'e been thinking that I don't want the place to serve alcohol, just maybe normal drinks like coke and stuff, I want to keep it about the music, I also want the place to open for people above 15 or 16, there's no place here where teens can go to gigs that aren't big bands in an arena.

A venue with possibly bad music, no alcohol and full of 15 year olds? No thanks.
Exactly^

The patronage will be sporadic and superficial. A place like this is basically a whole for people to throw money into just to lose, and I mean this in a nice way.
Yeah, you're sounding like all of the 15 year old girls in Hertfordshire in the UK who want to become event promoters but don't know how to do things... like anything at all... most of them can't even spell.

You're far better off convincing other places to put on shows that will suit your age range than running your own venue.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yeah, you're sounding like all of the 15 year old girls in Hertfordshire in the UK who want to become event promoters but don't know how to do things... like anything at all... most of them can't even spell.

Oi blad

I actually know a really successful promoter who's only my age
There's no reason that a 16 year old can't be a good promoter.

But that's about 1 in 100 and the rest of them just want to be part of the "scene" (or lack there of) without actually doing anything. Most of them have NO business sense or no idea what is needed to put on a show.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 18, 2013,
Music, strippers, comedians... they functions as entertainment to keep people in the venue so they can buy alcohol. That's where the money is.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I seriously doubt that any landowner with half a brain would rent out their warehouse/store/whatever to a 16 year old that doesn't have a means of making rent money if their plans for the place go bad.

If you really want to get a place for bands to play in the near future, first find some bands that want to play gigs nearby (even if they don't get paid for it) then use some of that money and become a regular in a place you think would be a good venue. Tip good, talk to them, and be nice and polite, and the staff will like you. Once they do, start mentioning to the staff that not only do you think that place could make some extra money as a venue, you even know of some bands that will come play.

I'll leave the PA issues for you to figure out.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness