After a bunch of setups, the G-string on my strat now buzzes. other notes on other strings sustain for 12ish seconds, fully clean, G string notes sustain for 5. The action is high enough, especially on the G. What is the problem here most likely?
Quote by RyanMW2010
After a bunch of setups, the G-string on my strat now buzzes. other notes on other strings sustain for 12ish seconds, fully clean, G string notes sustain for 5. The action is high enough, especially on the G. What is the problem here most likely?

I´d be looking at the nut.....if your like me you abuse the G string frequently with bends. If your lucky there might just be some crap in the saddle or some uneveness in one of the frets each an easy fix, (alway´s surprised by how some guitars really just need a good cleaning)......but I´m guessing wear and tear on the nut...which is not that hard to fix either.....your choices then are super glue and baking soda (google) or replacing the nut itself....

...if your unsure take it to a luthier for a look ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by Blackst4r
I´d be looking at the nut.....if your like me you abuse the G string frequently with bends. If your lucky there might just be some crap in the saddle or some uneveness in one of the frets each an easy fix, (alway´s surprised by how some guitars really just need a good cleaning)......but I´m guessing wear and tear on the nut...which is not that hard to fix either.....your choices then are super glue and baking soda (google) or replacing the nut itself....

...if your unsure take it to a luthier for a look ;-)

ugh. this guitar is like a month old. i'm so sick of having problems with it. it's been through like 4 setups already also. weird buzzing, etc. thanks fender factory
Quote by RyanMW2010
ugh. this guitar is like a month old. i'm so sick of having problems with it. it's been through like 4 setups already also. weird buzzing, etc. thanks fender factory

if the guitar is only a month old than the nut is unlikely the issue.....nor should it be grime in your saddles or crap on your fret (unless yur really Dirty ;-)

...do you not have warranty and a decent shop that can help you out?

...have you changed strings recently, ie changed guage or any other drastic Changes that could of changed your neck set up??

.....have you tried it with other strings, might just be a dead string?
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
It seems to me that you have an issue with the strings.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by RyanMW2010

It sucks this has been such a lemon for you. The G string is notoriously problematic on all guitar brands. I've never had an issue personally but there are plenty of complaints out there.

Other than just giving in and getting a replacement, you could try some different string brands or use a higher gauge G. I've used d'addario for forever, but I can't say that has anything to do with not ever having this issue.

Does it happen with all the pickups? Try lowering all of them. Maybe the magnets are killing the oscillation of that string.
had the same issue with my new fender strat. I fitted a string tree for the g/d strings and the issue persisted, had the guitar set up, still buzzed. in the end i noticed that the slot for the G string was cut far too low, bought a graph tech nut and now its fine. I recommend checking that.
Quote by D_M_I
It sucks this has been such a lemon for you. The G string is notoriously problematic on all guitar brands. I've never had an issue personally but there are plenty of complaints out there.

Other than just giving in and getting a replacement, you could try some different string brands or use a higher gauge G. I've used d'addario for forever, but I can't say that has anything to do with not ever having this issue.

Does it happen with all the pickups? Try lowering all of them. Maybe the magnets are killing the oscillation of that string.

It's breaking my heart . Yeah, it happens w/ all the pickups and they've very low as is. The pickups were lowered a ton when it had its last problem, where high notes on the low E string were causing an "underwater" sound. That problem is gone but now the G string sounds awful. I may just return it, but I'm hesitant because that means being guitarless for 4-6 weeks while fender ships me a new one :/
Quote by RyanMW2010
It's breaking my heart . Yeah, it happens w/ all the pickups and they've very low as is. The pickups were lowered a ton when it had its last problem, where high notes on the low E string were causing an "underwater" sound. That problem is gone but now the G string sounds awful. I may just return it, but I'm hesitant because that means being guitarless for 4-6 weeks while fender ships me a new one :/

Better than having a guitar you hate forever.
Quote by D_M_I
Better than having a guitar you hate forever.

Too true. I think w/ fender's return policy, i can only get the same guitar. Probably not even $ back. The store told me i would have to go through fender since the problem is w/ the factory and not on them. I kind of want a telecaster now, because i have an 04 mexican that has never steered me wrong.
Quote by RyanMW2010
Too true. I think w/ fender's return policy, i can only get the same guitar. Probably not even $ back. The store told me i would have to go through fender since the problem is w/ the factory and not on them. I kind of want a telecaster now, because i have an 04 mexican that has never steered me wrong.

In swedish we say "måndagsexemplar" which roughly translates too "monday model" meaning....something that was probably first of the line Monday morning....yours was most likely after a long weekend;-)....so send it back and the likelyhood of getting one with the same issues should be 1-100

...good luck