Someone told me metal players use pedals that emulate the sound of a palm mute for fast passages that use that technique. I need mine more because I'm physically unable to play palm mutes (disabled blah blah) so could really use one that'll help me cheat. Any suggestions?
Caution:
This post contains my opinion and/or inaccurate information

Quote by vayne92
I'm genuinely beginning to think you're the best troll of all time

"Emocore is like, when you cry when you break a guitar string"
- Thurston Moore
Do you mean you're physically not able to palm mute or you just can't do it at the speed you want? I have never heard of such a pedal, but even if there was, proper technique > gimmicky gear all day every day
^ I don't think that is the same person, but I do remember there were lots of good suggestions in that thread. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1605154&highlight=palm+muting+bridge

Otherwise, there is no pedal that can do that that I'm aware of. Palm muting is a very important aspect of playing guitar, especially electric guitar, and is probably second only to picking.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 18, 2013,
I usually don't make suggestions about gear and mods ect because Im still learning a lot myself-

BUT- perhaps if you had a noise gate, like an ISP decimator, set in front of your amp with the level set relatively high, such that it just captures your attack but then starts to cut as the note trails off. The only reason this popped in my mind is be ause I had my isp set a little to high the other day and it was half-muting my notes. This route definitely wouldnt sound as chunky, punchy, and crunchy as regular palm muting, but its an idea. I can experiment after work for you perhaps.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by NakedInTheRain
you the guy that posted a while ago? you're missing your picking arm below the elbow?

and there's no pedal that does anything like that as far as i know. sorry man.

No, but I'm in a similar position. What sort of sound/effect would best emulate this kinda thing then?
Caution:

Quote by vayne92

- Thurston Moore
Obviously I don't know your situation or what you are able to do, but maybe you could make a lever kind of thing that you could hit with some part of your arm when you want to. Have a pad (pin cushion of felt etc) that sets own onto the strings just in front of the bridge. This should be able to create the same effect.

Maybe it can be a wrist attachment even. Again not sure of your limitation.
I dunno if it'll let me post a link, but this was me playing bass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKhIFQ_OgSk&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXjzieQozVSpGkrXar5SvUA

It's not the same as guitar, but you can see how i play. I play guitar in the same way, no pick, i use my index finger to strum all the time, and can't physically hold a pick. Here's a guitar cover from when i first started if you can see how im playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwEza7zyP8E&feature=c4-overview&list=UUXjzieQozVSpGkrXar5SvUA
Caution:

Quote by vayne92

- Thurston Moore
Quote by D_M_I
Obviously I don't know your situation or what you are able to do, but maybe you could make a lever kind of thing that you could hit with some part of your arm when you want to. Have a pad (pin cushion of felt etc) that sets own onto the strings just in front of the bridge. This should be able to create the same effect.

Maybe it can be a wrist attachment even. Again not sure of your limitation.

I'd suggest something similar as well.

Perhaps you could post on an engineer forum asking people there..I don't really know any such forums though, but there must be a ton of them?
People love challenges, and I'm sure you could find someone who might be able to build you something clever that could help out.
I'm sure you could even operate a device similar to what DMI described above with a foot pedal...like press the pedal and something clamps down by your bridge.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Yeah, but the problem with performing with something that constricting means i wouldnt be able to freakout... :/
Caution:

Quote by vayne92

- Thurston Moore