So I've been trying to work on developing a good picking hand for metal rhythm guitar, put I have been unable to progress. Now before you say the usual "practice slow to a metronome start off slow or whatever," that's not the pronlem. The problem is that I have developed two terrible habits:

1. (The most problematic) I have a tendency to flex the muscles in my thumb while picking, causing my index finger to slightly turn from the pressure, which hurts but it's hard to notice until the sourness/pain starts.
2. To counter this problem I try to support my index finger with my middle finger, which causes my ring and pinky fingers to tense.

Any recommendations as to what to do to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds to me like you already identified your problem. Now just play stuff that you manage to do without too much thinking and focus on keeping your thumb relaxed.
Quote by Loftus17
So I've been trying to work on developing a good picking hand for metal rhythm guitar, put I have been unable to progress. Now before you say the usual "practice slow to a metronome start off slow or whatever," that's not the pronlem. The problem is that I have developed two terrible habits:

1. (The most problematic) I have a tendency to flex the muscles in my thumb while picking, causing my index finger to slightly turn from the pressure, which hurts but it's hard to notice until the sourness/pain starts.
2. To counter this problem I try to support my index finger with my middle finger, which causes my ring and pinky fingers to tense.

Any recommendations as to what to do to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

1. Relax! Really, you need to just kind of mellow the **** out and flow with it. I would be willing to bet, actually, that the tension starts up at your shoulder.

Also, are you bending your wrist? Take a look at your forearm for a second. Move your fingers. Those tendons run all the way up your arm, I can feel mine moving up to the elbow (maybe your body is made differently).

So don't bend your wrist. Doing so would most definitely inhibit the movement of these tendons.

2. I thought I told you to relax.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
never use two fingers on a pick. it restricts movement.

its ok to squeeze the pick but don't give yourself a hand cramp. just relax a little like everyone is saying.

"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"