Need a little help here...

My budget is around $400 at the moment and planning an amp purchase friday. Im looking to upgrade my acoustic lead series g120h head. Budget is kinda low so looking mainly at used stuff.

Found a like new peavey vk100 for $300 still has the stickers and not one mark on it.

Also found a pod hd500 for $350. Usually I steer clear of m-effects but heard this one was really good. I'd be running it through the acoustic head if I went this route.

last but not least found a 6505+ combo 1x12 for $400. Speaks for itself... although I wasnt really looking for a combo... If it was a 6505+ head it would be a no-brainer. I dont gig much anymore at the moment, but that could easily change, plus Ive got a great 4x12 cab. On the other hand it would be a great practice amp for band practice and at home.

I play many genres but I favor metal, and my band plays metal. So I guess id like an amp that can do it all, but do metal well. What would you do? Other options within the budget?
"Metal" is a very broad genre. I like thrash but dwell into progressive and hair metal. Others that like "metal" prefer black and death metal where there are walls of gain and solid states are quite popular.

What 4x12 do you have? I assume you have a head already, what is it and are you selling it to help you get that $400 budget, or can you get more if you plan on selling the head?

I'd think a 6505+ combo can be plugged into a 4x12 as well. So if your 4x12 is already decent enough, you could just go with that.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I realize metal is a broad term, which is why I left it at that... I'd say were more of a thrash metal, death metal, metalcore style. If I could just pick a tone and it was that easy Id like mine to sound something like a cross between Mark Morton(Mesa) and Mick Tompson(Riviera). I'm not trying to emulate any particular tone, but instead trying to find my own... I guess I'm looking for a broad range of useable tone.

The head I have now is an acoustic lead series ss head. A very budget head, but doesnt completely suck... I've just kindof outgrown it.

The cab I have currently went with the head and is a budget cab, but im building a 1960 cab clone and plan on loading it with texas heats. Ive heard it before and decided thats what i want.

the halfstack is up for sale currently to help comp the cost of my new amp. $400 though is a pretty firm budget
Alright that's fair enough. In that case then yeah 6505+ is a good amp for that. The combo would sit awkwardly on the cab I imagine but plenty of people have converted their 6505+ 112s into heads and done away with the speaker. That could be a project for you to do as you're building your own cab too.

A used Peavey JSX/XXX/Ultra might be a good suggestion too. They can be found for quite cheap and are much more versatile than the 6505, but have a slightly less brutal tone to them (not to say they can't do it). Definitely check them out too.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I like the conversion idea. I hadn't thought of that. You don't think the vk or the pod would cut it?
Don't bother with the VK at all for what you want. Been there, done that. Owned a 5150, JSX and 6505 since. All of them need a boost in front IMO.

The POD HDs are great. I'm saving up for one ATM.

It really depends on what your preferences are as a player, I think. Do you want pedals? Do you not mind dealing with the hassle that is a pedal board hooked up in 4CM?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
So with the pod HD, does it not really matter what head you run it through? I mean as long as you have a decent clean the pod should do the rest? right? Is it really that good? Ive always tried to keep pedals to a minimum. currently just running a volume pedal, noise gate, and a rc3 looper, next on the list was going to be an eq, and an od. If i didnt need any of those that could comp my costs further.
The poweramp matters. Does your amp have an FX loop? You'll absolutely want to run the output of the POD into the "Return" of your amp if it does - that will bypass the preamp entirely so coloring will be as minimal an issue as possible. After that there's the poweramp - it doesn't affect tone as straight objectively as a preamp does, but it affects things like sag and response time, and of course how loud you can get before you get any clipping (which you DON'T want with the POD).

You don't need any pedals whatsoever with a POD. I mean... you can, but IMO you'd be a fool to.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yes my amp does have an fx loop. I may go this route. I figure if I buy used and don't like it I should be able to sell it and not lose much. Thanks
Peavey Ultra
Jet City JCA50h
Mesa DC-3
Mesa 50cal
Krank 1980 Jr
Krank Rev

are all worth a look for what you want. www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear has a good used selection
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ +1

If you find something you like on their Used section, you can copy paste the item number into the regular search bar and you should be able to add it to your cart normally.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
what do you guys think of the Bogner line 6 hd100? found one of those used for $400.
^ Depends, the Mk.I is not very good, IMO. The Mk.II you can work with. Takes a long time to dial in though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X