I'm looking for help/suggestions on which one to pick up to put in front of my JCM 900. It seems that both, unmodded, offer similar sounds but I'm not certain which one I should go for if I'm looking to beef up my sound for a pop-puck outfit. I was leaning towards a Maxon OD 808 as that's what I've heard most metal guys use and it seems like it would work. Suggestions welcome though.

Also looking at a new board, any help here would be great. Looked at the tbone and BCB-6 and since all of my pedals but the new OD (Maxon or Ibanez) will be Boss-ish size, I'm not sure where to go.
They're the same thing in a different box.

I run a Bad Monkey and a Timmy in front of my JCM900 but I should also mention that I ripped the clipping diodes out of my 900.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Way Huge Green Rhino is one of (if not the) best TS type pedals out there.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
From what I've seen the Maxon is pricier than a TS808 new, so I'd probably just go with the cheap option.

However I use a Bad Monkey as well in front of my Stiff 90-Ad (which isn't worlds different than a JCM 900) and I like the distortion, tightness and sustain it adds. I don't notice any tone loss because the Bad Monkey is a buffered pedal, and it's a fair bit cheaper than a TS or Maxon OD. I got mine for $30 bucks new.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
I would first choose a timmy. Secondly a green rhino. But the cmattmods signa drive has caught my ear as of recent.

They are all a bit different, so look around. Research listen to mic'd videos for best comparison. GC will likely have the ibanez Maxon and green rhino, but you won't find a timmy or signa drive.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Both are laughable overpriced. Get something cool like a Way Huge Green Rhino or a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 or even a Hardwire CM-2
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Both are laughable overpriced. Get something cool like a Way Huge Green Rhino or a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 or even a Hardwire CM-2

I don't think it was, and Not that it matters, as all is subjective was that directed at me?

However i do think you are referring to Ibanez ts or maxon.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I don't think it was, and Not that it matters, as all is subjective was that directed at me?

However i do think you are referring to Ibanez ts or maxon.

No no no, of course I was talking about the 808s in the OP.

I'm sure the Cmat Signa Drive is an excellent pedal - just not enough features on it for me to personally recommend it (options are kind of my thing).

I mean even the TS9... $100 for a TS9? Just... what. No. No no no.

$180 for an 808 is a joke worthy of standup, except for the fact that people actually go out and BUY those things at that price.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 19, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
No no no, of course I was talking about the 808s in the OP.

I'm sure the Cmat Signa Drive is an excellent pedal - just not enough features on it for me to personally recommend it (options are kind of my thing).

I mean even the TS9... $100 for a TS9? Just... what. No. No no no.

$180 for an 808 is a joke worthy of standup, except for the fact that people actually go out and BUY those things at that price.

All is well

Yea ibanez and maxons are ridiculously overpriced.

I really think that the timmy is the way to go.

The fulldrive never really impressed me. I would like it more if you didn't need the drive on for the boost.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
IIRC the OD808 is actually a TS9, not a TS808. Both will sound very, very similar. I would suggest that you try out some other Tubescreamer-style pedals though, things like the Fulldrive 2 or the Way Huge Green Rhino are very popular for example. Just try out a bunch of pedals and get the one you like best.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by trashedlostfdup
All is well

Yea ibanez and maxons are ridiculously overpriced.

I really think that the timmy is the way to go.

The fulldrive never really impressed me. I would like it more if you didn't need the drive on for the boost.

Yeah, I mean... the Boss SD-1 is $50 new. There's about $1-5 worth of components difference between them (at consumer prices no less)... and the SD-1 is built better. So... yeah.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by cdr_salamander
Just get a BBE Green Screamer.

I have had one for a long time, and it is rock solid and doea the job. Back then they were $40 from a dealer on ebay. Basic, no frills, but does the job.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Offworld92

they're more like that in £ here

Also the handwired version is an even bigger joke
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by constructbot
IIRC the OD808 is actually a TS9, not a TS808. Both will sound very, very similar. I would suggest that you try out some other Tubescreamer-style pedals though, things like the Fulldrive 2 or the Way Huge Green Rhino are very popular for example. Just try out a bunch of pedals and get the one you like best.

TS9 and TS808 are the same things anyway apart from the box and two unimportant resistors.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by constructbot
IIRC the OD808 is actually a TS9, not a TS808.

ts10, i think.

I'm sure i read that on the stinkfoot site. But I can't find it any more, so
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
ts10, i think.

I'm sure i read at on the stinkfoot site. But I can't find it any more, so

From what I know, you are correct, it is a ts10.

either way on a blind test you couldn't tell any of the pedals apart really. (just referring to ibanez and maxon.)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
^

yeah i mean i tried the two maxons head to head ages ago (and that was into a clean amp which normally accentuates the differences) and there was a very, very subtle difference (that was so small it may well have been psychological).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Build your own pedal-board.. I built this one in about 30min total time and under $25 for everything used on it
Attachments:
011.jpg
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
And if you don't want to build it yourself, Diago, StoneCastle and Pedaltrain are safe bets. I have no experience with FIX Pedalboards, but they look really nice and easy to use.
Search around for gorm pedal board, it looks interesting, but I have made all of mine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Dave_Mc
ts10, i think.

I'm sure i read that on the stinkfoot site. But I can't find it any more, so

Ah, my mistake. You're right.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
For an OD the Wampler Paisley drive with its mid boost/cut switch, a used can be had within 100-150 bucks.
Quote by constructbot
Ah, my mistake. You're right.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
had a vintage ibby tubescreamer replaced it with Hardwire CM-2. does the same thing with a better eq setup but bottom line was that I could get the exact same sound (and a whole lot more.) I've dumped all of my vintage fx at this point as there are better more reliable pedals out there that do the same sounds. while there may be a few exceptions overdrives certainly aren't one.