I'm new here and full of questions that I've had unanswered for a while. But anyway I have a Fender Princeton Chorus 150 watt 2x12 amp that was getting drowned out by my drummer. I went and bought a Line 6 Spyder IV 30 to add a little more volume, but it ended up being plenty loud by itself. Then I started wondering why 30 watts was so much louder than 150. What could be wrong with my Fender that could cause a possible drop in performance?
Isn't the Princeton Chorus a 25W amp? Are you looking at the power consumption rather than the output power?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
25.5w RMS for each of the 2 channels, according to the fender-provided manual.

Though, as Cath can indeed explain better than I could, wattage is not really a precise index of how loud your amp is.
Speakers count, how the amp is designed count, and although a 100w 5150 can get louder than my 5w blackheart for sure, I have read several times that the VOX AC30 is the loudest guitar amp :P
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If it's 25w that explains alot haha. Last I checked though I found 150 on google, but thats google. I bought it second hand so I really dont know what it is. Even then why would two 25 watt speakers not be as loud as one 30 watt?
Quote by 6string_ninja
If it's 25w that explains alot haha. Last I checked though I found 150 on google, but thats google. I bought it second hand so I really dont know what it is. Even then why would two 25 watt speakers not be as loud as one 30 watt?

Because speakers don't actually make sound on their own... They simply output what the amp pushes to them...

But that wasn't really what you meant. You meant why do two 25 watt channels sound quieter than one 30 watt... So my question is how do you engage both channels at once? (You don't, because you can't. Even if you could that 25 watts is coming from the same power amp anyway... It's really only one 25 watt power amp.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
No, not 25.5w for each preamp channel.

That amplifier in particular is stereo, so it has a stereo power amp of which each channel is rated at 25.5w.

It would be louder if the speakers and the rest of the amp circuit were the same but again, that's never the case.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
No, not 25.5w for each preamp channel.

That amplifier in particular is stereo, so it has a stereo power amp of which each channel is rated at 25.5w.

It would be louder if the speakers and the rest of the amp circuit were the same but again, that's never the case.

Oh damn, my apologies then... I hadn't considered that, I thought it was just marketing bullshit.

In that case it is odd that the 30 sounds louder, but not necessarily indicative of a problem. Sometimes they just sound louder... Possibly for reasons 311 lists.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Spiders are actually very loud. My other guitarist's Spider IV 75W keeps up with my 6505 no problem. I assume Line 6 rates their wattage pretty conservatively.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X