Wasn't sure what section to throw this in so it's here yeah yeah. New to this whole MIDI thing.

I have a keyboard which has a MIDI in and out so that's covered, but I don't know what I need to buy to hook it up for recording fancy sounds, etc.. I'm reading you need a cable with those circular plugs on each end, a MIDI "box" or something like that, and another cable with a circle thing on one end and a USB port on the other.

If you need to go through that shebang of getting separate components, what's with things like this that seem to be all-in-one? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-to-MIDI-Interface-Cable-for-PC-and-MAC-16-Channels-MIDI-In-MIDI-Out-/170884868173?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item27c988284d

Are they worthless and I should buy separate things, or do I just get that all in one thangdangle?
West Ham United
You are over-thinking it big time bro. Most midi keyboards have a usb port which you can use to connect it directly to your PC. Then you just need a DAW, and whatever plugin you choose to use (whether it be Massive for EDM sounds or East West Strings for orchestral stuff). Thats as simple as it gets for recording. Most plugins also have a standalone mode where you can edit sounds and play around before recording.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
Quote by shredder3386
You are over-thinking it big time bro. Most midi keyboards have a usb port which you can use to connect it directly to your PC. Then you just need a DAW, and whatever plugin you choose to use (whether it be Massive for EDM sounds or East West Strings for orchestral stuff). Thats as simple as it gets for recording. Most plugins also have a standalone mode where you can edit sounds and play around before recording.

QFT

pretty much you plug it into your computer via usb and get a program like ableton, fruity loops, pro tools, or whatever DAW you prefer to use and it will be able to record directly from the keyboard into the software. good luck
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
Yeah I had a feeling I was worrying too much about what to get...

My keyboard doesn't have a USB port on it, only the MIDI in and out plus a sustain port. It's some form of low-end Yamaha with 88 keys. I've got Reaper installed for my DAW so that's sorted. Hoping to make sounds like MGMT if that's even worth pointing out.

I'm not sure what I'm after then in terms of cables to hook it to the computer. Is there a particular MIDI-USB cable you'd recommend?

EDIT: Woopsy daisy, maybe I should have refreshed the page before posting. That was in response to shredder.

^Yep it's just a digital piano. I don't understand what you mean by recording sound or using it as a controller? Like I said I'm completely new to this.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Sep 19, 2013,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
He didn't say it was a midi keyboard, he said it was a keyboard that has midi in and out. If it's a digital piano it probably won't, well mine doesn't anyway.

Fair enough. Although most keyboards come with a USB these days. Mine does and I bought it like 4 years ago. If his doesn't have one, then as someone mentioned above, he would need an interface. Seems like a pain in the ass to buy an interface though when you can buy a decent midi controller for the same price.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Look up TAL Noisemaker and Oatmeal Synth.

Mine cost me £30 and works fine.

Fair enough. I guess we both use different setups, which is cool. Different strokes. I just prefer direct to DAW recording, although most of the electronic stuff I do only requires a small midi controller. Half the time I dont even use it anyway. I draw the notes. I guess if you want the versatility of a full piano your way works better.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Look up TAL Noisemaker and Oatmeal Synth.

Thanks man, definitely going to be looking into these.

So do you guys think it would be worth buying a midi controller instead of worrying about this interface business? Seems way more simple and I do enjoy simplicity.

What was the difference between using a digital piano with interface and a midi controller? Ease of use?
West Ham United
Ah I see. Well my keyboard is 88 keys so it would probably be a bit awkward to record in my room. Might just buy a midi controller anyway in that case. Is there a particular controller you would recommend? I'm guessing 49 keys would be best since 25 is just about too small.

EDIT: Actually maybe a 25 would be good for what I'll be using it for.
West Ham United
Last edited by King Donkey at Sep 19, 2013,