I got some Schaller straplocks and they work nicely on my heavy Godin Velocity (which already has schaller strap buttons, so that saves me from another headache )

I'm trying to fit them onto my Epiphone Les Paul but the screws supplied are either too short or too long. I can't use the original screws because they're too wide to fit through the straplock pin. What should I do? I've read on a few other websites that people use wood glue and toothpicks to fit screws that are thinner in diameter, would that method also work for screws are that shorter in length?

The worst case scenario is that I'll probably have to get a couple of dowels and drill a hole into them to fit the screws, but the toothpick method seems like less hassle.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
If it's too long, just keep screwing that bad boy in until it seats. If it's too LOOSE (i.e. the straplock screw is thinner than the one you took out), then the toothpick and woodglue method should work fine as long as you avoid flinging your guitar around. Or at least it has for me.
The longer nail is about 10mm longer than the original screw and the short screw is about 2mm shorter. I'm worried I might damage the guitar if I force the longer screw in (since it is longer by a large amount!). Would the shorter screw work fine since it's only 2mm shorter?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus