My son's 18th birthday is coming up soon and I would really like to get him a nice acoustic guitar. I can spend up to $500 but I'm not sure which way to go. He likes to play modern folk music like Jack Johnson and Jason Mraz. I've narrowed it down to a few choices:

Martin DX1AE X Series

Seagull 33430 Entourage Series

Alvarez Artist Series AD60CE Dreadnought Acoustic

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by acousticdad54 at Sep 19, 2013,
This particular section of the forums is for discussing Music Theory. There is an Acoustic Guitar section that would be more appropriate, and in that section there is a stickied thread on this topic https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233360

I suggest reading through the first few informational post, but since you already have your choices narrowed down you could just copy and paste all that into a new post. You'll be much more likely to get answers in there.
The Yamaha FG700s is a great acoustic guitar that sounds just as good a Martin and is a quality piece. Guitar Center has them for $199, so save yourself some $$$ and get the Yamaha, you won't be sorry
Really the best bet is to take your son to a guitar store on his birthday and let him choose it.

I'm all for Seagull (being the Godin groupie). The Washburn D10s is another solid entry in that price range.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I haven't played any of those exact models but Martin do make good quality acoustic guitars.
Si