I've gotten back into guitar recently and I would like to play along with some backing tracks which I have on my computer. Perhaps someday soon, I would also like to record my guitar and perhaps some vocals.

I've been researching guitar interfaces (something new to me) since I used to use my Mackie mixer and plugged the USB straight into my computer to record. Although I am now learning that the analog signal my Mackie generated needs to be made into digital to sound good. (Is that right? Or it just easier to work with on a program? I'm a little lost here.)

What I want to be able to do is: Be able to plug my guitar (running through a Boss DR-880) into a mixer (or interface) and also plug my computer into the same mixer/interface and play through some headphones. This way, I can hear the backing tracks on my computer and my guitar through the same headphones. Before I've always had to blast the backing track through my speakers with my guitar through an amp.

I took a look at the main thread for help on introduction to recording and found this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/focusrite-scarlett-2i4-usb-audio-interface

Would that accomplish what I want to do? Or would something like this mixer with USB capabilities be better? http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProFX8/

Thanks for the help in advance, and I'm sorry if I've missed something that has been posted on this topic. I would just like to be more sure that this is what I am looking for.
Have you read the interfaces sticky?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have, and I suppose I'm looking for the differences between using the Mackie which is analog and Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 or 6i6
Okay, firstly: Once your signal gets to your computer it is digital. Your mackie is converting it for you before sending it to the computer.

Either of the products you showed will do the job you're after. The difference between them is that with the Mackie you could use it without a computer to plug into a set of speakers and maintain control of functions like EQ.

In terms of quality: the mackie in theory should be worse than the scarlett, because it has more functions. The preamps in the Focusrite are very good for the money, so really you can't go wrong there.

Hope that made sense. If I was in your position, I'd get the scarlett
Last edited by tim_mop at Sep 19, 2013,
Thanks Tim. As I'm watching some of these videos, it's making more sense.

I'll give it shot then. Thank you!