I'm looking to sell my 120w tube vypyr, as I never get the chance to turn it up. I like the sounds that come out of it but I live in an apartment and can't really use it... I put the master on .5 and that's about all I can do with it without the neighbors getting mad.

So, I was thinking the RP1000. I remember seeing a youtube video of a guy using it live and his tone was really good. However, I'd like to hear from some people who have used it for a while and know what it's all about.

My main concern though is this. I have a pair of skullcandys that I was going to be using with a MFX unit. I read from a review on MF that you can't change the output volume when using headphones, which I can't see why they wouldn't include that feature in the unit. I'm hoping this guy just never found the method of changing the output volume for phone listening... Anyone know anything about this? I don't want extremely loud music through the phones, but I'd be using them as output given the fact that I won't have an amp, and again, the neighbors.

Also looking for any other pros and cons people can come up with regarding this unit, or other suggestions as to what unit to buy, or even possibly an amp that won't be as touchy with the master and won't drive the people in my building crazy.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Why do you feel the need to turn your Vypyr up? It won't sound notably different.

The positive attributes of running a loud amp come more from the nature of simply having an amp being loud, rather than an amp using an arbitrarily large percentage of it's output power.*

*poweramp breakup not being the issue here, of course.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The rp1000 has the worst resale value for mfx in that price range. Hope you're getting a good deal on a used one.

If I were you I'd keep the amp and just buy a used zoom g3 for $100 or so. The g3/5 amp models sound amazing through headphones and they're so cheap you can keep your amp for that special occasion when it's just you and your amp (/and friends).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
^ I need the amp sold to pay for something. I was planning on using the leftover money to buy something else. That something doesn't need to be loud. The thing is I don't need all the power and FX coming from the vypyr, what I'm really looking for is good amp models. I don't use the FX that much, if at all.

EDIT:

New option just occured to me. How about the Line 6 HD500x used? Anyone know how the amp models compare to the RP1000?

Maybe I should do some youtube searching...
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

Last edited by sg-rocker173 at Sep 19, 2013,
I use an RP500 live and at home. It's rugged (done about 50 gigs with it), does the job, versatile. The RP1000 is obviously a better spec'd but similar model.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by sg-rocker173
^ I need the amp sold to pay for something. I was planning on using the leftover money to buy something else. That something doesn't need to be loud. The thing is I don't need all the power and FX coming from the vypyr, what I'm really looking for is good amp models. I don't use the FX that much, if at all.

EDIT:

New option just occured to me. How about the Line 6 HD500x used? Anyone know how the amp models compare to the RP1000?

Maybe I should do some youtube searching...

There aren't really any 500Xs on the used market yet, but it's a far superior unit all around.

No one *needs* all the power their amps are capable of. That's not a good reason to get rid of them. Just saying. And pretty much any DSP will have way more FX than the Vypyr - the Vypyr is notable for being minimal as far as modeling goes. The whole WYSIWYG interface and all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 19, 2013,
^Just because it has all the effects doesn't mean I won't ever use them, they would be nice to have. But the thing is, I absolutely need to sell this amp and get money for it. I'm looking for a replacement unit of some sort that will give me nice amp tones. Having effects isn't a requirement though, I mostly just use chorus and delays if I use anything. The Vypyr was kind of an impulse buy, though I did some research on it before hand. I liked the tone I was hearing in demos and whatnot. I bought it because it was a tube amp that had modeling in it. Now, I have to sell it for the cash to pay for something, and I'm planning on using the extra money for a unit that has nice amp models (or just a nice versatile amp, possibly). That is the important thing here. I don't need a lot of volume, and the effects aren't a big concern, though having them is a plus. The main use of what I buy will be the amp/amp models. So, I do have a good reason for getting rid of this amp. I just need help deciding what to get in place of it. I guess I wasn't clear when I said I can't use all the power it has behind it. I don't NEED the power, and I'll just be using this new amp/MFX pedal for casual playing/recording/practicing. The reason I'm getting rid of it isn't because it has too many features for me, having extra features is a plus in my book. I need the money, and whatever is left is going towards a replacement device.

Maybe I should just make a new thread as this one wasn't really specific enough to what I was asking. I just heard a demo or two of the RP1000 and thought it'd be a nice buy if I were to snag a used one. I was mainly asking for reasons to/not to purchase that unit. However, seeing as how the HD500X is available, I have other concerns that must be addressed.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220