I scream and play guitar in a metal band. Since my hands are busy with the guitar, I cant cup the mic to get that extra distorted sound. Is there anything that I can do to my beta 58 to make it sound more like I'm cupping the mic?
Don't cup the mic and learn how to scream properly
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^Seconded.

Cupping the mic pisses off sound engineers. It makes it sound horrible, but more importantly can turn a cardioid mic into an omni, causing horrible feedback problems.

If you really want a distorted vocal sound, buy a pedal that will do it, but make sure it's at mic level otherwise that too will piss sound engineers off!
Quote by tim_mop
Cupping the mic pisses off sound engineers. It makes it sound horrible, but more importantly can turn a cardioid mic into an omni, causing horrible feedback problems.

If you really want a distorted vocal sound, buy a pedal that will do it, but make sure it's at mic level otherwise that too will piss sound engineers off!

As a vocalist, I find people who cup their mics extremely annoying. It's almost always a sign of a very poor vocalist, who has to rely on closing off their mouth to the microphone to get enough volume to produce an audible signal, thus distorting it, because they lack the skill to achieve a full sound on their own
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Don't cup the mic and learn how to scream properly

^This. You should not need to cup the microphone. As has been said, if you want distortion then there are vocal effects pedals available that will do that.
Literally cut a plastic cup open and use that.

I say don't listen to these people telling you to buy a distortion pedal. Get your own mic stand and mic and what not and your cup, and just place your lips inside the cup like you would a bong or something. If you like the tone, keep doing what you're doing!

Or yeah, learn to scream better, but if you like what you're doing, stick to it man!
You guys are high. There's truth to your argument, but wanting a unique sound isn't bad.

I mean, why don't you go tell that to Thom Yorke for putting egg carts on the mic for You And Whose Army to get that intentionally muffled sound.

There's some things that the human voice can't do without doing stuff like that.

I'm sure with filters you could create that effect though, so maybe try that.
Quote by Clay-man
There's some things that the human voice can't do without doing stuff like that.

Human voice can absolutely get the sound he wants without cupping the mic.

Cupping the mic is a substitute for poor technique, that's it. It's used to make your screaming voice sound fuller than it actually is, because you don't know how to properly scream.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Clay-man
You guys are high. There's truth to your argument, but wanting a unique sound isn't bad.

I mean, why don't you go tell that to Thom Yorke for putting egg carts on the mic for You And Whose Army to get that intentionally muffled sound.

I think Thom Yorke is a bad example for people who are lacking skills.

One thing is doing special tricks cause you've already perfectly covered the real technique and are looking for something new (besides using egg cartons or whatever is just a gimmick. Same done thru an EQ (which is possible) wouldn't yield the same effect such as the 'egg cartons') .

And yea cupping the mic is wrong. and it's annoying.

dealing with people who wanna 'stick to their original sound' while that's what they call their lack of skills is annoying.

Especially when they wanna yell into your condenser mics, hold the mics and whatnot...

I'm not a FOH engineer but a recording one.. shit happens a lot with some people who're just straightforward annoying and not willing to cooperate
Quote by Clay-man

Thing is it's not a unique sound, it's the same sound used by every screamer who can't be bothered learning proper technique. Also just fair warning (and more incentive to learn proper technique instead of cupping) bad technique will wreck your vocals chords, like actually shred them and you could require surgery so good technique is the most important thing in the world when it comes to screaming.

Also the sound produced by cupping is literally the same as if you taped the mic to your face, preventing any escaping noise and making the proximity effect work like a bitch. And if you're working intentionally to force the proximity effect then no live or studio sound engineer will want to work with you, because it's just not worth their time.
Quote by chatterbox272
Thing is it's not a unique sound, it's the same sound used by every screamer who can't be bothered learning proper technique. Also just fair warning (and more incentive to learn proper technique instead of cupping) bad technique will wreck your vocals chords, like actually shred them and you could require surgery so good technique is the most important thing in the world when it comes to screaming.

Also the sound produced by cupping is literally the same as if you taped the mic to your face, preventing any escaping noise and making the proximity effect work like a bitch. And if you're working intentionally to force the proximity effect then no live or studio sound engineer will want to work with you, because it's just not worth their time.

Ah, ok, agreed.
Doing it to "improve your screaming technique" is definitely hackneyed. If he was doing it to get a unique tone from your voice, that's a different story.

Doing it to cover up the lack of proper technique is bad though.
If you honestly are that concerned, you can EQ your voice a bit to give it more balls that's missing.
Quote by tim_mop
can turn a cardioid mic into an omni

This isn't sitting right with me. I'm curious about how you figure this is so.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.