Hi everyone. I have a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo and I've had it for about a year. During the last couple days I've been having a problem which I didn't really look at cause I was hoping it would go away (probably big mistake, I know).

Anyways so the amp would be fine but then fade out to nothing. The first time it happened I turned it off and on again and it worked for a bit but then after awhile it faded out again. I was kinda in the zone and kept playing after the volume went out and after about a minute it faded back on. It kept on for about 5 minutes then faded out. I figured it was a good time to stop playing, but first I took a look and both of the bigger tubes (power tubes?) were glowing.

The next day I turned it on and had no troubles at all, jammed for about a half hour then turned it off. Today when I tried to play it wouldn't produce any sound. It did crackel a little bit though. I've tried to play it a couple times with about an hour in between and no dice

I looked for similar threads and some say it could be the power tubes but with those threads noone said anything about the amp fading back in.

Any ideas what could be going on? I apologize in advance that I know very little about tube amps, or amps in general, bear with me, but I assure you it has nothing to do with cables, stomp boxes, power outlets, or the guitar.

I do have an extended warranty from musiciansfriend.com, should I just say screw it trying to fix it myself and have them do everything? It's a viable option, thing is it would take about a month to sort out and if it's just like a $50 fix i'd rather just do it on my own.

Thanks everyone, UG's never let me down before, I appreciate all you guys know and that you help poor little dumbos like myself.
Warranties usually don't cover tube swaps. You should call and ask though.

It is a relatively cheap fix, in any case. Get a pair of matched JJ 6L6s, likeso: http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/T-6L6GC-JJ

Might as well retube the preamp too, while you're at it. JJ ECC803 in V1, JJ ECC83s everywhere else is a really good place to start, you can experiment with different tubes in the future if you want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

It is a relatively cheap fix, in any case. Get a pair of matched JJ 6L6s, likeso: http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/T-6L6GC-JJ

Might as well retube the preamp too, while you're at it. JJ ECC803 in V1, JJ ECC83s everywhere else is a really good place to start, you can experiment with different tubes in the future if you want.

I second this, but I'd say don't use a 803 in V1 as it's a combo and they are prone to go microphonic more than the 83.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
^ Good call, agreed.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Thanks for the advice. So you defiantly think it is a problem with the tubes?
I'm not 100% sure, no - that's an impossibility with an internet diagnosis.

But it's most likely your power tubes.

Volume fluctuations are usually a sign of power tubes dying. Distortion fluctuation is usually a sign of preamp tubes dying.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X