Hey guys, so I am shortly moving into a new apartment and that is going to require some small sounds coming from my room. I had originally planned on something small and tube (Egnater tweaker or a Jet City), that I could still use on the road as a back up, but now I'm no longer going to a one family place and I need to be quiet.

I would still prefer something I could use as a backup for a gig, that isnt't another DSL. I always hear the Vypyr recommended, but I never liked the tones of the distorted channels a few years ago (on the tube one). I played the VIP 3 and I REALLY enjoyed it, with the main plus, I can use headphones if I gotta. My question is, is the tube Vypyr really all that special? I haven't been able to try one again, but I'm working on that.

And is there something else I should look into? I play mainly a nice hard rock tone, rather distorted but at home I like playing around with everything. I know very little is going to match the vypyr in versatility, but there could be smaller amps I know nothing about.

Combo would be preferred.
I also tried the new Yamaha TH 10 and was impressed with most of it, though I didn't really love the distortion. The TH10 C was awesome with the gain all the way up, but that's about it for me. Though I am not ruling anything out!

Around $300 used, it's small and for practice, not stadiums
Near Newark New Jersey and NYC.
Genre: a little of everything, hard rock and pop punk mainly.
I like used! But whatever works
Simply home use. Emergency back up would be nice.
I have a Dillion LP copy with a JB, and a Fender Blacktop Tele with PRS Starla pups. My main guitars
Sorry for the long long post.
Thanks guys!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I always recommend flextone 3 xl as its a very gigable amp not just a back up or practice amp. It sounds good at low volumes as well as gig level.
Two-Rock Exo 15... you know you want to

It satisfies your criterion apart from the budget..
Quote by Katsock
And is there something else I should look into?

Yeah, a more suitable home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by JELIFISH19
Pod and headphones. The THR is good too. Have you tried the 10X?

i have never seen the 10x to even try it :/ I had a pod and sold it, one it was free and I made a good couple bucks on it, and the one time i did actually need it as a back up it didn't do a great job. The set up was terrible, and the bar was a wreck, but still haha. I am quite interested in teh 10x. my only concern is the High Brit on the THr 10 just sounded so mushy. just a mess no matter what the gain was at.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
sg-rocker173 is selling his Vypyr 120 and he is in New York.

Might be worth checking out. I think it is a combo though. Not sure that that matters.

I have a Vypyr 60 and love it. Got it for $300.

I think the tubed Vypyrs would make an excellent back up and practice amp.
Is there a way to turn a tube amp into something I could use in the bedroom, through head phones? Just a thought. It never occurred to me before, but is there something like, a DI box or something to send the signal elsewhere and listen wth head phones? Or is that not doable?
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
OH I will will most certainly be looking into this! I would not mind at all getting a nice medium sized tube head I could use for practice and as a solid back up.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify