Hi guys

I have been writing an album's worth of material and have been recording and mixing it over the past few weeks. I have uploaded one track and I am looking for any feedback on the mixing and mastering, but feel free to comment on the song itself as well.

I will not say any gear that I used, please treat it as if it is a professionally produced song.

I will upload the rest of the songs to my Youtube when I have finished mastering them, for now I am looking for opinions from a different set of ears.

Please have a listen, even just for a minute or so just to give some feedback on the production. Thanks in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00-qOrXIBUI
Moved this to the correct sub-forum for ya

Distorted guitars - Sound muddy and have a weird cut somewhere that's making the note definition sound like there's a blanket over the gutiars. Not sure if you're using a different tone at the end for the rhythms or I just don't notice it as much in the beginning, but the tone is REALLY buzzy.

Clean guitars - This actually work quite nicely IMO. I can dig it.

Bass - Sounds pretty good, hard to tell, since it's not really prevalent anywhere, it works well with the guitars, though. Are these programmed? The parts I do hear the bass cut through, it sounds pretty robotic... maybe just the metallic sounding effects on it, I dunno.

Drums - The kick and snare are horribly apparent that they've been programmed. I really dislike everything about that snare, it sounds like something that would belong in electronica, or a poorly produced death metal album, not here. It's very raw sounding and needs a lot of work IMO. The kick doesn't really have any punch and gets lost in many parts of the mix, same with the toms. Cymbals aren't too bad, though some of them are a bit low in the mix for my tastes.

Synths - Sound pretty good, a bit too loud in places. As long as you have a decent library though, it's pretty hard not to make synths sound good
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Moved this to the correct sub-forum for ya

Cheers man, I'll explain what I did for each and why, any tips you could give would be appreciated!

Quote by MatrixClaw
Distorted guitars - Sound muddy and have a weird cut somewhere that's making the note definition sound like there's a blanket over the gutiars. Not sure if you're using a different tone at the end for the rhythms or I just don't notice it as much in the beginning, but the tone is REALLY buzzy.

I used two different microphones for both left and right, and I EQ'd them as follows:
High pass at 150hz to remove lows and make room for bass guitar, slight shallow cut at 500hz to remove some mud, 3db peak at 2.6khz to give some attack and a surgical cut at 6khz to remove some fizz. The lead guitars are EQ'd similarly but with more emphasis on the mid-highs.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Clean guitars - This actually work quite nicely IMO. I can dig it.

I used a combination of DI and microphones for this, and mixed in a couple of effects pedals on different tracks.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Bass - Sounds pretty good, hard to tell, since it's not really prevalent anywhere, it works well with the guitars, though. Are these programmed? The parts I do hear the bass cut through, it sounds pretty robotic... maybe just the metallic sounding effects on it, I dunno.

The bass was recorded through DI. I also went through a Tube Screamer for a bit of fuzz. The bass wasn't meant to be a leading part in the mix, it was supposed to fill in the low end below 150hz. I used a harsh compressor and EQ'd as follows: High pass filter at 40hz to remove mud, slight cut at 90hz to counter where I boosted the kick, 6db peak at 110hz to give presence in the low end below the guitars, 6db cut at 160hz to make some room for the guitars, and a 4db peak at 4khz to give some attack.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Drums - The kick and snare are horribly apparent that they've been programmed. I really dislike everything about that snare, it sounds like something that would belong in electronica, or a poorly produced death metal album, not here. It's very raw sounding and needs a lot of work IMO. The kick doesn't really have any punch and gets lost in many parts of the mix, same with the toms. Cymbals aren't too bad, though some of them are a bit low in the mix for my tastes.

The drums were programmed with Superior Drummer, and I used the Metal Foundry expansion. The snare was compressed with a 4.0ms attack and a 4.0:1 ratio, threshold and gain adjusted accordingly. It was EQ'd twice, as follows: Firstly a 5db boost at 250hz and at 3.5khz. Secondly, a high pass filter at 90hz to remove mud, 8db peak at 200hz to give some thump, two small peaks at 2.5khz and 3.5khz to bring out some of the crack and an 8db boost at 7.2khz to bring out the fizz.

The kick was compressed using a 3.0ms attack and a 5.7:1 ratio.
It was also EQ'd twice, as follows: Firstly a low shelf at 100hz, a cut at 250hz, and a boost at 4khz. Secondly, a 6db boost at 60hz to give it some thump, a surgical cut at 270hz to remove an undesirable frequency, a 6db boost at 1.7khz to give some pop and a high shelf at 7khz.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Synths - Sound pretty good, a bit too loud in places. As long as you have a decent library though, it's pretty hard not to make synths sound good

Thanks, I'll have another look at the volumes.

Also aaron I will check your stuff out now
Quote by Random3
huge description of all the EQs

From that description, it looks like you know what you're doing in terms of the mix, but I'd take issue with the guitar tone. Some tone shaping to add some mids back in, and damp the highs a bit, would do it some good. Still, that description gave me a great idea for an article: set up a session, mix (but maybe not master) it, and then just run through all the EQs, and describe every boost and cut (like you did), and explain what purpose they serve. I'll get to work on that.
Quote by Cavalcade
From that description, it looks like you know what you're doing in terms of the mix, but I'd take issue with the guitar tone. Some tone shaping to add some mids back in, and damp the highs a bit, would do it some good. Still, that description gave me a great idea for an article: set up a session, mix (but maybe not master) it, and then just run through all the EQs, and describe every boost and cut (like you did), and explain what purpose they serve. I'll get to work on that.

Cheers for the feedback!

I am going to do another mix and master tomorrow, and try a couple of different EQ tricks with the guitars to make them a bit less shrill and gel with the bass slightly better.

Thanks again!