It is convention that the top stave is the right hand and the bottom stave is the left hand (read: unless you have a REALLY good reason, this should always be the case). Both staves could be either treble or bass clef though.
Yeah. If you need the left hand to play in the higher register then you should notate it in the treble clef. You often see the right hand as a treble clef and the left hand as a bass clef because often the right hand is playing in the treble register and the left is playing in the bass register. But it's extremely common for the clefs to change as necessary. What I was saying shouldn't change is that the left hand is in the bottom stave and the right hand is in the top stave.
Only notate stuff in bass clef if the notes go below middle C. If both of your hands are playing above middle C there is no reason (and visually it wouldn't make sense) to use the bass clef at that moment. Or as someone else said, switch the lower staff to treble clef and have two staffs in treble.
Last edited by Haynus_aynus at Sep 20, 2013,
^ I know what you mean, but you can also notate notes below middle C on the treble clef. You'd only do it if only a few were below middle C and most were above, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I understand so the middle c is what determines whether a clef should be played on treble or bass.

How about in the situation of a song in which the left hand plays above middle c and then suddenly changes to going below? In this case would it be acceptable to change clef signs on the same stave during the middle of a piece of music?
Quote by dannydawiz
I understand so the middle c is what determines whether a clef should be played on treble or bass.

How about in the situation of a song in which the left hand plays above middle c and then suddenly changes to going below? In this case would it be acceptable to change clef signs on the same stave during the middle of a piece of music?

Yes, although you want to be a bit careful so you're not flipping back and forth all the time. It's totally okay to have notes that go above/below middle C on the bass/treble clefs respectively. Generally, change clefs if you're going to be there for a while or it's ridiculous to use as many ledger lines as you would have to to keep it in the same clef (3 ledger lines max might be a good rule of thumb). Basically, don't do it willy nilly, but also don't be shy about doing it if it makes the notation better.