Basically, I've got wide musical tastes- I owned a Marshall JCM 800 back in the day which I sold off because I didn't need all the power and I was low on cash, unfortunately I made the bad decision of getting a Marshall MG30FX (EW)

Anyways, I'd like to look at buying a new amp. As far as tones/musical tastes, I'm looking for stuff like Aerosmith, Guns 'N Roses, Metallica, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, and Ratt type- I like distortion.

I'm looking for a head and not a combo- I'd like a clean and a crunch (distortion, lead, overdrive, what have you)

My guitars:

Gibson Les Paul standard (From the 70s, not sure when- All stock)
Epiphone Les Paul standard w/ Seymour Duncan APH-1's.
Ibanez EGEN8 (Herman Li Signature) with an EMG 81/85 setup
Fender Stratocaster (Made in America, all stock- looking at getting some new pickups for it sometime)
Laguna LE200Q

Currently I'm looking at either a Marshall JCM 900, or (more likely) a Marshall DSL100H- An Orange amp is a possibility although they seem more expensive than I'd like, and I don't know specific models to look for.

I'm willing to buy used and I'd like to keep this as far under $1,500 as possible.

If you have any brand/model suggestions please post 'em up- Thanks!
Well the DSL could probably be what your looking for I know Maidens guitarist use them. But the JCM900 doesn't get alot a love from people it's kinda famous among underground punk because it's cheap and you get alot of noise from it but it's not really favored for that 80's tone.

You could get yourself a black star they do a HT series or the "one". These are ex marshall guys and the good thing about them is the ISF knob that you can tweak for a British tone or american plus anything in between. Orange amps have a very distinctive tone and alot of the above don't use them so that's abit of tricky one. But there's no arguing if you like the sound of them.

Also might I add that if you couldn't handle a 100 watt 800 then why get another 100 watt anything there are alot of lunch boxs amp these days that you can get all that tube tone without you know the hassle of the full rig. Blackstar/orange/EVH and allot more do these alternative and maybe you should consider them instead unless there is a reason you need a 100 watts.

But remember to try before you buy anything especially the amount of money your spending. (if you can)
Last edited by itsonlyauser at Sep 20, 2013,
EVH 5150, Marshall JCM2000 DSL (old DSL series) or the TSLs, Blackstar Series One, Krank 1980. These are all amps you should have a look at. I'm sure some Orange amps could fit the bill too but I haven't any knowledge of them.

What cab you got/planning on getting?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I have a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100 and a Krank 1980 Jr and both will easily do what you want

The 1980 Jr is a smaller head (1/2 the size and weight of my marshall), has a good clean channel, and a great HR-Marshall channel. Mine is 20 watts but is easily loud enough to gig un-mic'd with (other guitarist uses a Mesa Recto 1/2 stack)

www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear has one for $375

The full sized 1980 is awesome if you want bigger/more power. The older Krank Chadwicks are also great Marshall-y type amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by ambler3
Would a jet city be good?

It would work.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 to the EVH 5150 III, seems perfect for what you want. Also +1 for the Splawn Quick Rod. The only thing I can really add now is the Egnater Tweaker 88. Two channels, switchable between a Fender, Vox and Marshall style voicing, plus a footswitchable gain boost on each. I haven't actually tried any of these, but I spend half my time GASing over amps on YouTube They are all very versatile and sound great.

Good luck on your amp quest!
Huge +1 to an old DSL (JCM2000 DSL50/DSL100, NOT the DSL100H).

The Carvin X100B suggestion is good. I'm on the fence about if I want one for myself or not. It's really a hidden/unpopular gem IMO.

Look at the Laney VH100R.

The Orange Rockerverb 50/100 is an AMAZING amp, but... up to you if the price tag is justifiable to you (assuming you like it of course).

Ditto for the Splawn Quick Rod that was mentioned.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Lavatain

What cab you got/planning on getting?

Most likely a Marshall 1960a cab, I can find them pretty cheap and they sound great.

Thanks to all the suggestions and I'll definitely try as many out as possible- Unfortunately I live about 4 hours away from the nearest big music store.

Top in the running right now would be a Marshall JCM 2000, EVH 5150, or the
Egnater Tweaker 88 (I love messing around with tons of settings, and this looks pretty cool) or a Krank 1980.
A JCM900 will do the deed if you mod it, otherwise they are too fizzy. I'd go the DSL route of the Marshalls 'twer I you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Something I didn't remember to ask in that post- Aren't the Peavey 6505 and the EVH 5150 the same amp with a different name? Or am I thinking of a different amp?
Quote by yks9991
Something I didn't remember to ask in that post- Aren't the Peavey 6505 and the EVH 5150 the same amp with a different name? Or am I thinking of a different amp?

No the Peavey 5150 and 6505 are the same, the EVH 5150 is something different altogether.

+1 for the old DSL
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
^+1
5150 and 6505 are the same amp, EVH 5150 III is totaly diffrent
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
5150 = 6505
5150 II = 6505+
5150 III = djentdjentdjent
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You could always say "Screw cleans, who needs them!" & get a Soldano Avenger , & learn to get by with cleans from rolling down your guitar volume.
Otherwise, the 5150 III is by far the best value for the money. I owned a 5150 III for about a year, & totally loved it. Only sold it because I don't use cleans, & I already had too many amps doing similar tones.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011