so I already have my boss ds-1 modded which I love the distortion of for my riffs, but when it comes to leads, I need more response and sustain. what are some affordable pedals you'd recommend to run over top of my distorted sound? I've been recommended the tube screamer, but was just wondering if anyone has other ideas? ane let me specifiy, less than $100.
thanks!
What amp?
Other gear?
Willing to go used?
Where are you located?

Most will likely say digitech bad monkey. It wasn't my favorite, but you can find them for sub-$30.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Blue Voodoo 100w. Ibanez Destroyer with Seymour Duncan Full Shred pup, Boss DS-1 modded. I have my sound how I want it now with overdrive channel plus my pedal, I get great Ratt'n'Roll tone, but I need the response and sustain I'm missing with faster playing. Yes most of my stuff, if not all of it, I get used. Lower price is always best! ane I'm near Chicago.
ok cool yea and I can find a bad monkey for cheap at MusicGoRound by me. I have heard good things but wasn't sure. thanks
and the thing is I already use my DS-1, on always. I am just looking to get better lead response just during solos, obviously. so I am not sure if I should go with another OD, when I have one, or if I should go with like a reverb pedal? hmmmmm
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips
and the thing is I already use my DS-1, on always. I am just looking to get better lead response just during solos, obviously. so I am not sure if I should go with another OD, when I have one, or if I should go with like a reverb pedal? hmmmmm

Nothing is wrong with stacking OD's, i do it on some of my rigs. The timmy is one that has stacked with a variety of different pedals very well.

An eq in the loop is another good way to do it, for that a mxr10 band is pretty much industry standard. The more important aspect is the volume and gain sliders. It also is much more flexible with different frequencies to more customize your boost.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I haven't tried a lot of things, but I love my Blues Driver with the volume up and the gain down, and the tone past noon. Guaranteed increase in sustain and gets me above and cutting through the rhythm guitarist.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
I haven't tried a lot of things, but I love my Blues Driver with the volume up and the gain down, and the tone past noon. Guaranteed increase in sustain and gets me above and cutting through the rhythm guitarist.

+1

You should consider getting the Keeley mod on it. Such a good upgrade.
Way huge pork loin and Crazy Tube Circuits Ziggy are 2 very transparent overdrives, that might help you. Certain compressors might do what you want.
You leave a DS-1 on at all times?

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips
so I already have my boss ds-1 modded which I love the distortion of for my riffs, but when it comes to leads, I need more response and sustain. what are some affordable pedals you'd recommend to run over top of my distorted sound? I've been recommended the tube screamer, but was just wondering if anyone has other ideas? ane let me specifiy, less than $100.
thanks!

stick a clean boost pedal after the ds-1 and click it on for solos. electro-harmonix lpb-1 is dirt cheap and will do the job.
Hell yea its on at all times. Would you ask Steve Vai or yngwie if they really have their pedal on all the time?
yeah get a bad monkey. a ds1 is a bit scooped (and also a distortion), a ts-style od pedal will give you more mids, sustain/compression etc. which is (probably) exactly what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
You leave a DS-1 on at all times?

I thought this too
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips
Hell yea its on at all times. Would you ask Steve Vai or yngwie if they really have their pedal on all the time?

they use their amps for distortion dude...
i think satriani uses a ds1 as a distortion generator at times...

i have a vague feeling of reading ages back that vai uses a bit of both (amp dirt + ds1 dirt)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He certainly doesn't leave it on all the time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
He certainly doesn't leave it on all the time.

You got anything useful to say, gramps?

Sorry I let my dog crap on your lawn, I'm coming back with a bag later... I promise.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
No. Like I said before:

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Rocktron Third Angel Distortion... all the lead tone you need. Retails about 130.... find 'em used like 60-80ish. Love Mine. Any vid reviews don't do it justice.
Chorus/phaser, compressor, delay.

Buy a MFX unit.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.