Page 1 of 2
What are some bands where the rhythm guitarist is better than the lead. One I think is Metallica, James Hetfield is obviously better at rhythm than Kirk but on the rare occasions when he solo's, they're usually better than Kirks too, Kirk has a tendency to go off key and uses wah too much, any more ?
define better

technical?
songwriting?
"feeling?"

what are we on about?

in general i find lead guitarists to be boring and write generic boring stuff that all more or less sounds the same.

Doherty is a better guitarist than Carl Barat in terms of writing interesting stuff (The Libertines.)

that's all I can think of really.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Sep 20, 2013,
Slash's band.
Sometimes Myles plays rhythm guitar and he's kinda better.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
define better

technical?
songwriting?
"feeling?"

what are we on about?

Just all round better.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Just all round better.

what's "better?

define it ffs.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
James is still a shit lead guitarist, he has that out of tune noob vibrato like Kirk.

in terms of songwriting, he used to be a god

and justice for all is an amazing album
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by willT08
If we're talking about in context of a song then literally all of them

this shit right here
Quote by laid-to-waste
in terms of songwriting, he used to be a god

and justice for all is an amazing album

It is, I still wish they would remix it already and turn up the bass.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
It is, I still wish they would remix it already and turn up the bass.

Yeah dude I've wondered why they haven't done this already.
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
playing out of key doesn't make you a bad soloist.

If you're playing in A maj and you use the Amin pentatonic box shape, you are playing out of key. The entire blues genre is built upon the superimposition of maj/min 3rds and 7ths. Some of the most interesting music is highly chromatic.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
define better

technical?
songwriting?
"feeling?"

what are we on about?

in general i find lead guitarists to be boring and write generic boring stuff that all more or less sounds the same.

Doherty is a better guitarist than Carl Barat in terms of writing interesting stuff (The Libertines.)

that's all I can think of really.

Who used to write what parts? I love the main riff in Death On The Stairs, but of course it's the fact that is keeps on repeating and repeating over the chord progression that makes the whole thing. Oh, and the Time For Heroes solo is spectacular.

In fact I love the entire first album, but I wasn't so keen on the follow up, and anything either Carl or Pete have done since hasn't spiked my interest much. Except for There She Goes, but that was an old song, wasn't it?

EDIT: Oh, oh: France. That was Carl's song wasn't it? Good stuff.
REGGIE
Last edited by LeakyFlask at Sep 20, 2013,
Quote by Mainer
According to Mark Tremonti, Myles Kennedy is a much better guitarist than he is. The guitar duel on Live at Wembley kinda proves it...Even though Mark is still my favorite guitar player ^_^ SOOO Cannot wait for "Fortress"

Alter Bridge is one of those bands that I wanted to like but couldn't, I've tried listening to them loads but just can't get into them, Myles is a great singer though, seen him in March with Slash.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Alter Bridge is one of those bands that I wanted to like but couldn't, I've tried listening to them loads but just can't get into them, Myles is a great singer though, seen him in March with Slash.

I tried them as well, and almost all of their songs have that one part with an awesome guitar riff, or a great solo, but then the rest of the song is lackluster.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by LeakyFlask
Who used to write what parts? I love the main riff in Death On The Stairs, but of course it's the fact that is keeps on repeating and repeating over the chord progression that makes the whole thing. Oh, and the Time For Heroes solo is spectacular.

In fact I love the entire first album, but I wasn't so keen on the follow up, and anything either Carl or Pete have done since hasn't spiked my interest much. Except for There She Goes, but that was an old song, wasn't it?

EDIT: Oh, oh: France. That was Carl's song wasn't it? Good stuff.

Down in Albion is by far Pete's best work and I'd rate it as one of the best albums ever written.

Death on the Stairs might be Carl yes. But the shit in songs like Carry On Up the Morning or more or less anything on Down in Albion is a lot more interesting and cool imo.

and I never liked Carl Barat's singing that much. Seems forced and without a flow.

I like all of the stuff Pete's done. Down in Albion the most, then his solo album and Up the Bracket about the same and then the rest about as much.

Lost Art of Murder (last song on Shotter's Nation) is his best song ever written though. Masterpiece through and through.
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Sep 20, 2013,
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Down in Albion is by far Pete's best work and I'd rate it as one of the best albums ever written.

Death on the Stairs might be Carl yes. But the shit in songs like Carry On Up the Morning or more or less anything on Down in Albion is a lot more interesting and cool imo.

and I never liked Carl Barat's singing that much. Seems forced and without a flow.

I like all of the stuff Pete's done. Down in Albion the most, then his solo album and Up the Bracket about the same and then the rest about as much.

Lost Art of Murder (last song on Shotter's Nation) is his best song ever written though. Masterpiece through and through.

geez flask and genzale get a room
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Quote by guitarist5477
geez flask and genzale get a room

to do what? talk about music?

sure, if you pay for it?
and you can't come sit with us.
this topic sucks... if a guitarist is "better" at playing guitar (technique) he is probably the lead guitarist. but who the hell really cares. i think having a rhythm guitarist is not a good thing UNLESS he/she is also the singer.
Quote by PowerEngine
this topic sucks... if a guitarist is "better" at playing guitar (technique) he is probably the lead guitarist. but who the hell really cares. i think having a rhythm guitarist is not a good thing UNLESS he/she is also the singer.

why would he?

lead is for posh people who jsut wanna solo relentlessly. most "lead guitarists" are the worst part of music in most rock/metal bands.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
why would he?

lead is for posh people who jsut wanna solo relentlessly. most "lead guitarists" are the worst part of music in most rock/metal bands.

so true and thats why those band suck. i mean a lead guitarist shouldn't be some one just playing and waiting for his solo moment. i mean i have a band and my singer is also a guitarist(acoustic). so i basically play lead guitar but i don't feel like one i guess because i do also song writing en i write the rhythm progressions in my band and some times i do a 'solo'. all i'm trying to say is that it doesn't really matter who is what. just do whats best for the band and it's sound. If you have a guitarist in your band that's doing a solo every minute of the entire setlist he is probably a ****** who's not even a good player but just someone trying to show off...

edit: and most of the time a rhythm guitarist is just standing there playing the chords that someone assigned to him.
Last edited by PowerEngine at Sep 20, 2013,
Quote by shreddymcshred
playing out of key doesn't make you a bad soloist.

If you're playing in A maj and you use the Amin pentatonic box shape, you are playing out of key. The entire blues genre is built upon the superimposition of maj/min 3rds and 7ths. Some of the most interesting music is highly chromatic.

Thank you!

I don't really have much to contribute, I don't believe there's any objective way of measuring musical 'quality', and I don't listen to enough bands where the rhythm/lead guitar dynamic is set in stone, so I don't have any personal preferences. I'm just glad someone knows their shit.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Was about to say Exodus since I never found their solos interesting, until I realized this

Quote by willT08
Professional lurker since 2009.
Protest The Hero.

According to their singer and their lead guitarist, the rhythm guitarist is the overall technically better guitar player out of the two, but since their lead player writes most of the leads, he plays them.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Frusciante plays both very well, at the same time.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Quote by willT08

Douche.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by guitarist5477
Yeah dude I've wondered why they haven't done this already.

There are third party remasters floating around of the first four albums. I can't listen to the original anymore.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by odensson95
Useless thread.

Welcome to The Pit.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Depends. The best blends are usually who have their own strengths and weaknesses.

For example, I'd rather have a rhythm guitarist with a mastery of chords and different picking techniques but does rather sloppy solos and a lead guitarist that knows scales and is an incredible soloist but struggles when it comes to intricate chords. That way the two roles are more "equal"
Quote by guitarist41
Douche.

lel
Quote by guitarist41
Welcome to The Pit.

"Have you pooped today?" thread sounds pretty useful to me.
Quote by CaptainCanti
Alice in Chains.

Yeah, Jerry Cantrell is definitely better than Jerry Cantrell.

Page 1 of 2