I can read quite a few tabs, play quite a few chords, I am fairly fast at alternate picking, and I can finger tap. What else can I learn to improve my guitar playing or just anything I can do to improve?
Judging from all the new topics you've started recently...I'd say play more guitar.
You seem like you have a hard time focusing on one thing. I'd strongly advise you to get a teacher to help you get some structure to your practicing...because you are all over the place right now.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
As been asked alot lately here about what to practice...you need a METHOD that puts everything in a logical order.If a teacher isnt an option then get a complete method.That way you ll learn what you absolutely need to know for starters and not what you think you need to know,you ll learn theory and how everything is connected,you ll learn about rhythm and of course technique.After you get some foundation then sources like youtube or the net in general ll can be helpful but BEFORE that its like building a house in the sand with no foundation .
Thank you for all the replies. I don't have a teacher at the moment. I have been learning online. I have learned a lot online but I want to improve. I play guitar a lot but I don't really know what to practice.
^^ agreed.

Though I'd also say to make sure your practising is fun- having a method doesn't mean you need to do the boring stuff for 10 hours a day. Even a little will help (especially if you're only doing aimless practise at the moment), and you should also allow time for stuff you enjoy, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Record yourself playing your repertoire. Video if possible. You'll discover a whole lot of things to work on, I promise.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ agreed.

Though I'd also say to make sure your practising is fun- having a method doesn't mean you need to do the boring stuff for 10 hours a day. Even a little will help (especially if you're only doing aimless practise at the moment), and you should also allow time for stuff you enjoy, too.

I don't have a method at the moment. I don't really know what to practice. I practice playing songs, playing chords and I try using my pinky more often but I don't know what else to practice.
Last edited by GuitarMusic360 at Sep 20, 2013,
Quote by GuitarMusic360
I don't have a method at the moment. I don't really know what to practice. I practice playing songs, playing chords and I try using my pinky more often but I don't know what else to practice.

Learn more songs, as has already been said in this thread; the more songs you try and learn the more direction you'll find you have. If you come across a song you want to play with something you can't do in it that's the strongest possible indicator of what you need to work on.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Learn basic music theory like major n minor scales. Knowledge do help you know.
I love guitar
I do try and learn new songs. I heard that you should do exercises and warm ups on guitar to improve. Is that true?
Every time you try to learn a new song and can't instantly do it, then you've found something to improve on. Other than figuring naturally that way what you should be working on...

Music theory.
^^ to a certain extent, sure. But it depends on what you want to play, what level you're at, and also you shouldn't only do exercises because (a) they're boring and (b) you also need to work on being musical (e.g. playing songs etc. instead of exercises).

Quote by GuitarMusic360

get a guitar book or dvd with beginner lessons in it. I can't recommend any specific examples because I haven't bought any

amazon has the "look inside" feature so you can read the first few pages of the books for free to see what they're like.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As has been said, learn more songs. You will come across parts that you wont be able to play and those will most likely be using a technique you haven't learned.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
what is your goal in playing guitar? if you have one, it should be obvious how you can improve. if you don't have one, you should either find one, or do something you really want to do.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Learn more songs, as has already been said in this thread; the more songs you try and learn the more direction you'll find you have. If you come across a song you want to play with something you can't do in it that's the strongest possible indicator of what you need to work on.

This, Exactly what I was going to say