Hi there, I got a solo post-rock/drone/ambient project and I got one of those guitars that come with those $100.00 beginner packs that come along with an even worse amp. It's supposed to to be a Stratocaster knock off.

The thing is, my guitar is really bad and as much as I'd like to, I can't record that many stuff with it, it's like I'm forbidden to play anything that isn't lower notes.

Here's an idea I'm working on, it's raw though:
https://soundcloud.com/lonestarstate/song-9

Here's the same song without any effects:
https://soundcloud.com/lonestarstate/song-9-no-effects

That's my my "comfort" zone, I can't play anything higher than the 12th fret of G (the third string) because it sounds just plain awful, like too sharp and out of tune no matter what. Also, I can't play anything above the 12th fret of any string because the same thing happens.

I'm looking for a guitar good for stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36aeT8lVQGM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cu5yi84ngs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qngc--zwGxY

At first I thought something like a Telecaster would be good but I don't really know anything about guitars, all I know is that the Telecaster has a good bright clean sound. The biggest instrument chain in my country sells Chinise Fender Telecasters for $700.00 and American Fender Telecasters for $1000.00. To be honest I'm looking for something in the $500-$700 range, I could stretch it out to $1000.00 if it's something REALLY good. Shipping is not a viable option.

I've been told Ibanez guitars are good for the price range.

Also, for what I want, would a $2000 guitar really make a difference from a $500 guitar? I mean, I'll be using lots of delay/reverb.
First off, even though your guitar is bad, your starter amp is at least as much of your problem. So at least 40-60% of your budget should go to upgrading your amp.

Second, where are you? Your location affects product availability, so we need to know.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
And before shopping for a new guitar, you might want to have a tech look at your guitar so see if it is properly set up and intonated.

As for "that sound", well, you can get that from virtually any kind of guitar with the right amp and effects. Most artists will use a guitar with singlecoils or P-90s, but your last vid shows the guitarist using a HSH guitar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
First off, even though your guitar is bad, your starter amp is at least as much of your problem. So at least 40-60% of your budget should go to upgrading your amp.

Second, where are you? Your location affects product availability, so we need to know.

Well, I have a virtual amp, Guitar Rig 5, I don't have to worry about having a bad amp for a while. Also, I live in Panama City, Panama, buying online isn't an option, something that costs X online will end up costing 2X because of ******ed fees.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
And before shopping for a new guitar, you might want to have a tech look at your guitar so see if it is properly set up and intonated.

As for "that sound", well, you can get that from virtually any kind of guitar with the right amp and effects.

I'm set on buying something new.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Most artists will use a guitar with singlecoils or P-90s, but your last vid shows the guitarist using a HSH guitar.

Thanks, what would be something good for the $500-$800 range? Would a $2,000.00 guitar really make a difference from a $500.00 if I'll be using lots of delay and reverb?
Can you buy used? You should look at what brands are in your area and then tell us. No point in us suggesting Godin, Gretsch, Ibanez Artcore, Malden, Reverend, G&L, Fernandes and Tokai if none of those guitars are available where you live.
Quote by samuraigoomba
Can you buy used? You should look at what brands are in your area and then tell us. No point in us suggesting Godin, Gretsch, Ibanez Artcore, Malden, Reverend, G&L, Fernandes and Tokai if none of those guitars are available where you live.

+1 to that.

Thanks, what would be something good for the $500-$800 range? Would a $2,000.00 guitar really make a difference from a $500.00 if I'll be using lots of delay and reverb?

Well, given we can't say what goes for $500-800 in your country, its hard to say. In the USA, that's the threshold for a decent quality electric from 90% of the makers in the market.

As for a $2000 guitar, that's a serious "it depends" area. Guitars in that price range tend to be better made in all ways: better woods, better hardware, better pickups, better QC- but not all of that translates directly into better sound*. Instead, some is aesthetics, some of it is durability & comfort. That said, I can definitely tell the difference between the sounds I get out of my $500 Dean Special Select EVO and my $3000 Dean Time Capsule Cadillac and my other high end axes.

But you can get some of that tonal improvement with a pickup upgrade...which costs a lot less.

* as opposed to the difference in spending that kind of money on an amp, where the differences will be much more pronounced.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 20, 2013,
Quote by samuraigoomba

I know that Ibanez, Gibson, Fender and the most "well known" brands are available.

Yes, I could buy used, I'd rather buy an used guitar, deals are usually better, any advice on buying second-hand guitars?

I still feel icky about buying something second-hand, they could be selling me a defective product.
With that wet of a signal, the guitar brand and quality is not going to matter since there is not a whole lot of playing with a lot of the ambient stuff. The sound in those videos is coming from effect pedals. Get a guitar that will at least hold a tune and an expensive reverb/delay unit.
The sound in those videos is coming from effect pedals. Get a guitar that will at least hold a tune and an expensive reverb/delay unit.

Pretty much this unless your pickups are REALLY muddy.

My setup for that kind of sound is my LTD EC 330FM through a clean setting, and then a Hardwire Supernatural providing ambient reverb. I think it works pretty well, the pedal really makes the sound though.

I'll suggest the 330 range from ESP LTD if you can get them where you are. There's something I really like about the clean tones from it, even though they're active pickups (if you're certain you'll be using gain a lot, maybe look at Gretsch or any of the suggestions already said). Plus, the flame maple tops really look the part if you're playing your music live or for a video. You won't regret having the extra bass you'll get from humbuckers.

The Hardwire Supernatural I use is exclusive to Pro Guitar Shop, and I had to pay fees for bringing it to Ireland, but I don't regret it. It's my favourite pedal for adding a sense of mystery and individuality to the music I play.

Oh, and a delay pedal. Some of the delay options may suit what you're doing. Check out the TC Flashback.
Actives were designed for jazz, so I hear- if true, they're perfect for ambient as well.

If you want to avoid actives, the cleanest passive pickups I have ever used were Lace Alumitones, which come in singlecoil, P90 and HB sizes (they all sound approximately the same).

As for echo/reverb pedals, there are good ones from MXR, Line6 and others, but I have found that some of the more expensive ones really do deliver more for the money.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 20, 2013,
Quote by DeanoM50810
My setup for that kind of sound is my LTD EC 330FM

Does it has a more "popular" brand counterpart? Apparently stores in my country only sell Yamaha, Fender, Godin, Squier, Peavey, Epiphon and Gibson. There might be a store that sells Ibanez.

I've been looking on our equivalent of Craiglist and there's someone selling a Squier Telecaster at $230 and a Jackson JS30DK at $300

http://www.encuentra24.com/panama-es/anuncios-casificados-musica-moda-arte-musica/vendo-squier-telecaster-california-series/2926515

http://www.encuentra24.com/panama-es/anuncios-casificados-musica-moda-arte-musica/se-vende-guitarra-electrica-jackson-js30dk/2939964

I really appreciate the help of everyone ITT.

Edit: Are AXL guitars good? Again, I live in a secluded place and I don't have much of a choice on picking X brands.

There's this guy who almost lives next to me selling an AXL at $200.00 bucks.

http://www.encuentra24.com/panama-es/anuncios-casificados-musica-moda-arte-musica/vendo-guitarra-axl/2872352

Is it good enough for the sound I'm looking for? Is it Clean enough?

Most importantly, what defects should I look at when buying a second-hand guitar?
Last edited by TheClown at Sep 20, 2013,
I just found a cheap secondhand Fender Telecaster! It's what I was looking for.

Does it looks legit? Here are some pics.

Again, I REALLY appreciate all your help.
Last edited by TheClown at Sep 21, 2013,
First of all, a secondhand Tele is probably a good option, all things considered. Can you check it out in person?

As for this:

Yamaha, Fender, Godin, Squier, Peavey, Epiphon and Gibson. There might be a store that sells Ibanez.

Any and all of those brands are fairly reputable. Squier is the better known budget line from Fender; Epiphone is more or less Squier's counterpart in Gibson's lineup. Godin, Peavey, Ibanez and Yamaha are all distinct and reputable companies with some interesting options. Of those, Yamaha probably has the better low-priced options- especially their Strat-like Pacifica guitars.

Ibanez seemingly makes most of its money with shredder guitars at all price levels. However, my personal favorites in the Ibanez lineup are the Artcore semihollow and hollowbody guitars- VERY good guitars for the price.

Godin is my personal favorite of all those brands, especially for semihollows and mid- to high priced Strat style guitars: very high quality for price which are in some ways better than comparable Fender guitars. Godins also tend not to hold their price as well as Fender- nobody does, really- so ip they can be an utter steal on the used market. Look for a Session or Progression.