Page 1 of 2
Okay I've already posted about other pedals as far as making the solos easier to play more response more sustain. Now I was watching a Paul Gilbert video where he's going over his pedal board and he says that's exactly what he uses the phase 90 for. Not for the phaser sound but for the added ease of solo playing and more sustain.
So...... what do u guys think on this pedal?
It's an effect. Not a solo boost. Just because Paul Gilbert sometimes uses it on his solos, doesn't mean it's a pedal designed to be used for solos.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
You need to get a decent MFX pedal so you can figure out what you like and will use.
The Line 6 M5 or M9 so you can see what you like. The FX are pretty good on them also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well he uses it on every solo not to boost the volume per se but to make it easier to play the fast solos. What he even said was it makes picking fast licks a lot easier because you don't have to try so hard and that's what I need.
Then either you or Paul Gilbert is an idiot. I know who I'm putting my money on.

There is no way a phaser makes playing the guitar easier. It's a pedal. It takes your guitar signal and changes its sound. It's not going to make you play better. It's not going to make you play faster.

To play faster you need to practice. If there was a magic button we hit and we play faster and easier, surely everyone would have it, no?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
He's not talking about giving special abilities I'll post the video where he is talking about it. When you're good enough to play Gilbert and Malmsteen style shit it doesn't flow as easy just playing dry. If your little blues or jazz players who can't go fast then one doesn't need to worry about this
Quote by Lavatain
Then either you or Paul Gilbert is an idiot. I know who I'm putting my money on.

There is no way a phaser makes playing the guitar easier. It's a pedal. It takes your guitar signal and changes its sound. It's not going to make you play better. It's not going to make you play faster.

To play faster you need to practice. If there was a magic button we hit and we play faster and easier, surely everyone would have it, no?

+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips
He's not talking about giving special abilities I'll post the video where he is talking about it. When you're good enough to play Gilbert and Malmsteen style shit it doesn't flow as easy just playing dry. If your little blues or jazz players who can't go fast then one doesn't need to worry about this

If your good enough to play their stuff, you don't need any pedals at all. pedals just color the sound of what you are playing

TS are you related to Topscore?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes agreed about the pedals but Have you ever heard someone like yngwie playing the guitar straight from the amp and that's it? I have, in Chicago this year meet and greet. And it sounds like shit. There's no response no sustain its like ur chicken picking. Even he has to try way harder to get the notes out It's like a dead sounding guitar. Thanks for help the guys I'll just go with the professionals opinions themselves and what they use and how they use it
Last edited by Myrki_LooseLips at Sep 20, 2013,
I can get killer leads out of just my guitar and amp, as can many professionals

I have a phaser pedal, I use it to give a certain sound to some of my single note riffs. I wouldn't use it for leads as it makes some notes in my leads have more presence than others due to the slow rate of the phasing.

You clearly watch too many videos and pro opinions where you should be listening to music and forming your own opinions. Watching a video of how music is played varies the way we perceive and hear it majorly. It's crazy the amount of times I've watched a video and seen a 6505 and instantly thought "yeah that's definitely 6505 tone" and other times where I'm only listening to music and what I think is a 6505 turns out to be a boosted JCM2000 TSL. My eyes confuse what my ears perceive and so do yours. Add that in to the fact your taking their word for things and you just easily get brainwashed into thinking the only way to get great sounds is to do what they're saying.

You really don't need effect pedals like a phaser to make your leads stand out. A good valve amp with handy amounts of mids will do just fine, as has been done by years by MANY professionals.
Dude, you've made a lot of threads today. Make one. Stick with it. There are rules in this forum, you know.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
if anything a phase 90 has a bit of a volume drop when you engage it (whether real or perceived because of the phase cancellation inherent in the phaser design, I dunno). If anything, that'd make it harder to play, not easier. Phaser just gives you that swirly sound on e.g. Eruption by Van Halen.

And come at me, bro, I play 80s metal and stuff like that. I'm nowhere near as good as paul gilbert, but I think I'm alright.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Here is a video of a guy with silly facial hair explaining and demonstrating what a Phase 90 does. Watch this, and then decide if you have any more questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8vJ1OvCqxM
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Yeah I wasn't gonna come at you I can play every Paul Gilbert lick in the book since I was 18. Now of course I use that inspiration in my own improvisations. Yngwie replied to my video submission for his contest that "the has technical prowess beyond his years".... so come at me bro
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips
Yeah I wasn't gonna come at you I can play every Paul Gilbert lick in the book since I was 18. Now of course I use that inspiration in my own improvisations. Yngwie replied to my video submission for his contest that "the has technical prowess beyond his years".... so come at me bro

Hold on. You're over 18? I thought you were about 12. You have the mentality of a 12 year old newbie guitarist that still thinks his 10" MG kicks ass!

In all seriousness, there are a lot of great players on this forum, so you should lose some of your arrogance when you ask for our help.
The only thing why the pedal could make you play better is because it adds noise and makes your sloppiness harder to hear (same as wah, compressor or high gain distortion).

But I don't think Paul Gilbert needs anything to make his licks easier to play. He is a really good guitarist and can play really accurately, fast and cleanly.

Also, if you don't sound good with guitar plugged straight into an amp, you are really not that great guitarist.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I use phasers for leads a fair amount of the time (see Valley Of Gwangi in my profile ) makes for some cool sounding leads but in no way makes it "easier" don't think that's what paul really meant. prefer other phasers to the mxr though.
Agreed. I wasn't necessarily saying to play better. For instance George Lynch will not sound like Lynch without his reverb sound just straight through how amp. He wouldn't have the sustain or looseness in solos. That's all.I was saying. Anyway we r good. Sorry for confusion just getting frustrated here trying to find my perfect sound but as I know we all will have different opinions and needs as far as our sound goes
Pretty sure the Joyo phaser is an MXR90 clone. They're cheap as hell, buy one and try it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 20, 2013,
Lets see your videos.

Really though the MFX suggestion was a pretty good idea. You can really experiment with effects you like. Cheaper than buying a bunch of pedals unless you get some Chinese knock offs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips
Agreed. I wasn't necessarily saying to play better. For instance George Lynch will not sound like Lynch without his reverb sound just straight through how amp. He wouldn't have the sustain or looseness in solos. That's all.I was saying. Anyway we r good. Sorry for confusion just getting frustrated here trying to find my perfect sound but as I know we all will have different opinions and needs as far as our sound goes

Actually George Lynch will sound like George Lynch if he was playing a Gibson ES-333 through a Fender twin

Get the pedals you want, or a MFX to experiment with, just because your hero uses and like an FX pedal doesn't mean you will
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips

that's pretty cool

that still doesn't mean you know anything about gear (or that pro players necessarily do, either). being a badass player means you're a badass player. Not a badass at electronics.

Quote by Myrki_LooseLips
For instance George Lynch will not sound like Lynch without his reverb sound just straight through how amp. He wouldn't have the sustain or looseness in solos.

Reverb will add sustain? I can get a pretty similar tone to george lynch by using similar gear (guitar/pickups/amp/od/boost pedals/speakers and cabinets) minus the effects.

that's not to say if you absolutely want to nail a tone that you don't need to look into similar effects, too- but using a similar chain aside from those special fx pedals will normally get you pretty close, at least for the type of players you're talking about. The Edge or someone like that, granted, maybe not so much. But those 80s guys are normally only using effects to add a little interest to the tone, not as an integral part of their technique/gear.

Listen to the start of eruption- EVH doesn't kick in the phaser until after the first section. It still sounds like EVH.

Quote by Cathbard
Pretty sure the Joyo phaser is an MXR90 clone. They're cheap as hell, buy one and try it.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 21, 2013,
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips

your "perfect sound" starts with you not fx. fx are the icing on the cake. sounds t me like you may need to work on your actual playing rather than the sound. if you don't sound good straight into the amp with perhaps some distortion then doesn't matter how many fx you slather one won't magically make it sound great.
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips
Lol

Lol. Throw a delay and wah on and then you will sound like Kirk Hammet and make loads of money.

How old are you? 12?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips

If you can't play it clean with no effects or distortion then you can't play it.
you have the attitude of a 12yr old, its very small minded to assume jazz and blues players arnt capable of playing fast
Quote by Robbgnarly
TS are you related to Topscore?

I was gonna say nah he's not that bad but then I read this
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips
Quote by innertom
If you can't play it clean with no effects or distortion then you can't play it.
you have the attitude of a 12yr old, its very small minded to assume jazz and blues players arnt capable of playing fast

True. You should be able to play the same stuff unplugged (and I'm completely sure Gilbert can do that - he's a really fast and clean player and I don't think he even uses that much effects. If you listen to his playing, he picks really hard). Technique shouldn't depend on gear. If you need high gain and wah to play fast, it's there to cover your sloppy technique.

Just listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mTMYIS0tb8

His technique doesn't depend on the gear he's using. He can play exactly the same stuff on acoustic guitar as on distorted electric.

Also telling that jazz and blues players suck is very immature. I would say that many jazz players are a lot more technical than most rock and metal players are. For example listen to Al Di Meola.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^+1 great post
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Myrki_LooseLips

Clips or you're a f#@king liar. I picture an anti-social misfit squirreled away in a room for 8 hours a day copying licks til he thinks he's a badass. Nothing like soul-less mechanical repeated arpeggio solos to show everyone how great you are. Why don't you watch & learn from some great blues & jazz players before you run your conceited mouth on this forum?
Somebody close this.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
Clips or you're a f#@king liar. I picture an anti-social misfit squirreled away in a room for 8 hours a day copying licks til he thinks he's a badass. Nothing like soul-less mechanical repeated arpeggio solos to show everyone how great you are. Why don't you watch & learn from some great blues & jazz players before you run your conceited mouth on this forum?
Somebody close this.

No keep it open.

I haven't seen anyone this 'fun' in some time.

MXR Phase 90's for everyone. They make me sound like Zack Wylde when I wank on my guitar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
No keep it open.

I haven't seen anyone this 'fun' in some time.

MXR Phase 90's for everyone. They make me sound like Zack Wylde when I wank on my guitar.

Yeah, I have one of the EVH striped ones with the script button. I only use it for VH, because it just doesn't nail the VH sound without it. I don't really use pedals, but the phaser is a must for VH.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

i use teh phaze 89 on erythan bcuz it maks teh gotar pley itzelf so i dnt ned 2 ply eet! T3h sol0 iz plyd by da pedahl!!!11!!11

I us3 my MARSHZL MGGGGGGGGGG CUZ IT RAD AS PENIS!

Al tyhe god plazers us3 thm an sy thy r thee greetest evr!

It mkes me ply pal gibart nu problm an vh evn easyr!!!11!1

Lynh iz so eazeh now!!1!!11!!1

BEZT PEDAHL EVBAH@!~!`1!!!
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Last edited by Jarrodthebobo at Sep 23, 2013,
If you seriously want more sustain, crank your amp up and you get tons of sustain.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
If you seriously want more sustain, crank your amp up and you get tons of sustain.

this.

and clips please, TS. i particularly want to hear the scarified string-skipping arpeggios.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
this.

and clips please, TS. i particularly want to hear the scarified string-skipping arpeggios.

Yes. Cleanly. At mach 2. Or shut it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Page 1 of 2