Are there any requirements to be a guitar teacher? Could a 19 year old become one w proper knowledge of theory and playing? I tried contacting a school and they told me no place would hire someone without 20 years of teaching experience, how do you gain experience if nobody will hire you? Or do most people just teach guitar out of their home?
I'm in the same boat - I teach my friends for free or real cheap. Do that so at least you get some experience, and then maybe word will spread.
Schools tend to hire people with degrees.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
If you wanna teach at a school, you need a degree in music, if you just wanna give lessons, all you have to do is advertise. If you're just starting, you should be cheap til your name gets out there and people see whether or not you're a good teacher and reliable. If so, once you have a lot of people interested, raise your prices. I'd say $8-10 an hour starting out. Personally, I think that's what all teachers should charge, because that $20+ an hour bullshit is just ridiculous.
Quote by Velcro Man
If you wanna teach at a school, you need a degree in music, if you just wanna give lessons, all you have to do is advertise. If you're just starting, you should be cheap til your name gets out there and people see whether or not you're a good teacher and reliable. If so, once you have a lot of people interested, raise your prices. I'd say $8-10 an hour starting out. Personally, I think that's what all teachers should charge, because that $20+ an hour bullshit is just ridiculous.

$8-10 per hour for all teachers? The quality of guitar teachers would drop significantly if that was the standard pay, $20 is just fine.
Last edited by That Old Geezer at Sep 20, 2013,
Quote by Velcro Man
$8-10? Shit, might as well work at McDonald's.

I know guitarists who charge $50, even $100 an hour. They have either a Masters or PhD in Guitar performance, so that's different.

But yeah, $25 for an hour is already generous. I charge $25 for 30 minutes, $30 for 45 minutes, and $35 for an hour.

Really you want to demonstrate that you are at least worth something. $8-10 looks desperate, and new to teaching. Most of the time, it's parents finding lessons for their kids. They want someone who seems professional.