So I was bored, browsing sites like Kickstarter and there's a lot of really cool ideas out there, but it got me thinking. What's to stop someone from reaching their campaign goal, withdrawing the money, and then disappearing to a nice villa in Cancun? I tried to google legal ramifications, but I can't really find anything as far as examples of that happening, or what actions backers can take should that be the case since sites like Kickstarter explicitly state they don't have any say where the money goes at all.

So anybody have any experience with this?
I've always wondered this, as well as what's to stop a project that only needs, say, $5,000, from having a goal of $7,500, and the project owner from pocketing the $2,500 extra?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
There's nothing to stop it. That's the risk you take
My God, it's full of stars!
When people pledge money to a Kickstarter campaign, they are essentially paying for a promise made by the people asking for money. Kickstarter themselves have no power over the people fundraising.

I think it was Totalbiscuit who talked about a similar issue with games on Kickstarter, that if you pay money to them so they can get their game off the ground you are not paying for a product, meaning you are not entitled to a refund for any reason. Therefore, unfortunately, if the campaign were to not make enough money and game development were to cease, you would not be entitled to any money back, nor would the company have that money to give you.
Quote by Dreadnought
There's nothing to stop it. That's the risk you take

Yup
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I'm not going to kickstart anything anymore; I've had too many people flake out.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by Random3
if the campaign were to not make enough money and game development were to cease, you would not be entitled to any money back, nor would the company have that money to give you.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that Kickstarter only charges you if the project reaches its goal. Not positive since I've never done more than browse it, but that's what I've read.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
Actually, I'm pretty sure that Kickstarter only charges you if the project reaches its goal. Not positive since I've never done more than browse it, but that's what I've read.

You could be right, I can't quite remember the information.

Here is the video though for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GhlLVSuX4g
Protest The Hero almost tripled their crowdfunding goal, and in response they posted a video of them dressed like pimps, riding in limos, etc.

Pretty funny.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by guitarist41
Protest The Hero almost tripled their crowdfunding goal, and in response they posted a video of them dressed like pimps, riding in limos, etc.

Pretty funny.

Do you know where I could see this video? Searched a bit on youtube and couldn't find it...

Nevermind -.-
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Last edited by shelovemyguitar at Sep 20, 2013,
I don't know man, but Protest The Hero's crowdfund worked.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Kickstarter, like any donation platform, just means being super aware and keen on all the details. Kickstarter is great, but there's a pool of people that abuse it (as you'd expect), all you can do is stick to realistic ideals and demand a clear schedule in regards to implementation, conception, design, and distribution. And on top of that a business plan.

I don't understand why more Kickstarter campaigns don't offer that transparency. If they don't, just walk away unless it's a project with a budget of less than $8000
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Crowdfunding is the modern version of the first stocks. Invest in a voyage, big chance it won't return. Most of the time they did ofcourse, that's why the Dutch ruled supreme.
Quote by Lord_Doku
Crowdfunding is the modern version of the first stocks. Invest in a voyage, big chance it won't return. Most of the time they did ofcourse, that's why the Dutch ruled supreme.

Great analogy! I hereby decree this analogy of the month, congratulations!
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Lord_Doku

Until they got assraped by the British ofcourse.
The only Kickstarters I've donated to have so far already reached their target and are now going onto their stretch goals, plus the most I've ever donated is $40/£25 so even if Keji Inafute decides to steal my money and disappear I'm not going to be missing much.

But there's a local company producing a MIDI controller that looks pretty neat, but they're only at about 50% funding and to get it higher I'd have to put £275/300 for an early release version and if THAT turned out to be a scam (because there's only a couple of pictures and website) then I'd be pissed off.
OUT OF ORDER