Poll Options
View poll results: asldfkj
Quote is right
42 68%
Quote is wrong
20 32%
Voters: 62.
Page 1 of 2
Came across this quote from a Youtube comment just now on a Guthrie Govan video.

Those of us who love playing the guitar, unlike the players of almost EVERY OTHER INSTRUMENT, have a unique curse.

We are doomed to share the love of an instrument with an innumerable bunch of complete, and utter fucking idiots.

We see them in the music store, you know who I'm talking about. Now we must suffer to read their anti-intellectual musings. No other group degrades fellow players with no actual basis for criticism like guitar players do.

I think it's spot on. While there is plenty of put-downs in classical music, it's nowhere near the amount of criticism your average guitarist will face. How feel you? Do guitar players criticize their own more harshly and more often than other instrumentalists?
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by metal4eva_22
I like the quote "OP is a ******" better.

I'll try to remember that when I'm busy not watching a show about ponies made for 5-year-old girls.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Kinda. I think the guitarist population has more of a share of musical illiterates in comparison to other instruments. I'm about to get my bachelor's in classical guitar performance and whenever someone asks what I play and I simply say "guitar," I feel like I'm putting myself in a group of people that I am nothing like.
Perhaps the guitar attracts the insecurest of people, because it's generally regarded as a cool instrument and they want to be cool.
Doesn't stop the insecurity though, and that's where the criticism of others stems from.
Quote by The Madcap
Kinda. I think the guitarist population has more of a share of musical illiterates in comparison to other instruments. I'm about to get my bachelor's in classical guitar performance and whenever someone asks what I play and I simply say "guitar," I feel like I'm putting myself in a group of people that I am nothing like.

O so like u play rock and roll? i bet u like lead zepalin
Quote by CaptainCanti

December 14, 2017
He's almost correct in the quote. Really, it isn't a problem with guitar players specifically, rather, it is that most people you'll run into on a daily basis are complete idiots.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by StewieSwan
O so like u play rock and roll? i bet u like lead zepalin
That, or if I say "classical guitar" they seem to always ask if I like Rodrigo Y Gabriela.

I mean I think they're great, but that isn't me.
Quote by The Madcap
That, or if I say "classical guitar" they seem to always ask if I like Rodrigo Y Gabriela.

Now imagine your instrument being the flute and having to answer the dreaded 'so wot u play m8' question.
Quote by CaptainCanti

December 14, 2017
Quote by The Madcap

So you DO like Rodrigo Y Gabriela. Iiiiinteresting *twirls several mustachios*
Guthrie Govan is jabroni.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
That's why I say I've played piano for over 12 years, and don't mention the guitar unless asked.

People just assume you're an idiot with no musical knowledge if you just say guitar..
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Most guitarists I cant stand.

"Oh Im playing this polyrythmic djent in 5/9 while the drummer plays in 6/2" No. Your playing in 5/4 over a 4/4. I dont like these medicore tapping polyrhythm fad dudes.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by AnthonyWabo
IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS QUOTE!

I guess I kind of agree with the quote, but at the same time, I am quite likely one of the people the quote is referring to. I can't read music or create a melody or solo. I'd probably be in the same boat with any other instrument.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
The bassist in my band is like this. He thinks pentatonic scales/songs are beneath him so he just makes up random chord progressions and loves his 'egyptian' scale.
Quote by rock.freak667

I guess I kind of agree with the quote, but at the same time, I am quite likely one of the people the quote is referring to. I can't read music or create a melody or solo. I'd probably be in the same boat with any other instrument.

Yep, I get along with most guitarist I know personally, it's competitive, but in a healthy fashion. I'm not that great, but in the same sense, I am paid to play. I get gigs, and some people really like my music.

It's usually only when I come here that I realize what a bunch of faceless shitholes most guitarist are, seems to have a direct ratio with how "accomplished" they are.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
I think that's a pretty self-important thing to say.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It makes me feel like "who cares man"
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I agree from what I hear/read over the internet, but every guitarist that I've met has been a fairly genuine person.
West Ham United
everything I heard in that video was 3/4 or 4/2. I think I heard a 7/12 at the 6.10 mark. regardleess, all this polyrhythm crap is based off a 4/4, my mind can manipulate a tempo to come around to 4/4. Its nothing special to me.
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Guthrie is kinda like that. He says a few things that arent that nice, he knows he good. Its just who he is. I disagree, i think there are musicians of every instrument that are lame and bleh.
Watching you cretins squabble from above, I have noticed that you are indeed a particularly awful breed of scum and villainy
Quote by MinterMan22
i saw the words polyrhythmic djent and had no idea wtf that was so i looked it up and found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruEL6jwPBrY

lel

First song is in 4/4 o.o I might be missing a bigger and longer rhythm on top?
Second song is 4/4 o.o
third song is 4/4 lol its christmas... sigh...
fourth song is 4/4
5th song is 4/4
veil of maya is 4/4
im starting to think polyrythms in the core world mean 4/4 beat with guitar going dudududududududu on an open string
born of osiris is 4/4
this is 4/4 putting the snare in 6's doesnt change anything. it sounds cool, but its really not a polymetre. its just not landing on the 2 and 4 like usual.
should have had btbam
I can see how fellow guitarists might feel this way, but I also make electronic music composing for nearly every instrument, and then people tell me to stop writing music with computers, because it's not real music...

It could apply to any instrument, but I hang out on a guitar forum, so it's harder to tell.
Last edited by stratkat at Sep 20, 2013,
It's funny, because in an opposite way to some people in this thread, even though I know music theory, I usually tend not to talk about it because I don't want to sound like a pretentious asshole who thinks he's special because he learned some special words for talking about music.

And at the people calling everything they hear 4/4-- you're not listening to it the right way. I didn't actually watch that video, but I know Veil of Maya. People think of these things as polyrhythms because the guitar is playing out of time with part of the drums. It is actually a polyrhythm, just split between the high-hat/snare and the kick drum/guitar. It becomes more apparent if you were to actually learn the songs and play them together with a drummer.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Sep 20, 2013,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Read it again... The quote isn't from Guthrie. Guthrie would never say anything like.

Yeah he would, which is why i believed it was he. Hes said a few things similar to that. He wouldnt have worded it that way though
Quote by vilk
It's funny, because in an opposite way to some people in this thread, even though I know music theory, I usually tend not to talk about it because I don't want to sound like a pretentious asshole who thinks he's special because he learned some special words for talking about music.

yet all this post says is i know music theory lol.
music theory is like math, it has its basics and continues to build upon them, almost without an end. No point in saying yeah i know math.
The same happens in every single imaginable hobby. To assume that it's only guitarists is just silly.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
yet all this post says is i know music theory lol.
music theory is like math, it has its basics and continues to build upon them, almost without an end. No point in saying yeah i know math.

Um... yeah. That's what I'm saying. That's why it bothers me when people go on about "oh I'm so musically superior because I know theory and he doesn't. How could you lump me in with him??".
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by stratkat
I can see how fellow guitarists might feel this way, but I also make electronic music composing for nearly every instrument, and then people tell me to stop writing music with computers, because it's not real music...

It could apply to any instrument, but I hang out on a guitar forum, so it's harder to tell.

Agreed, especially with the whole 'it's not real music' point. I've had to learn an entirely new skillset just to produce electronic music. It isn't easy at all, it requires talent just like any other form of composition.
Quote by vilk

I don't really agree with this. It doesn't come off as pretentious if a person uses music theory to talk about a song, at least not to me.
Quote by bastards
everything I heard in that video was 3/4 or 4/2. I think I heard a 7/12 at the 6.10 mark. regardleess, all this polyrhythm crap is based off a 4/4, my mind can manipulate a tempo to come around to 4/4. Its nothing special to me.

There's no such thing as 7/12 time

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
First song is in 4/4 o.o I might be missing a bigger and longer rhythm on top?
Second song is 4/4 o.o
third song is 4/4 lol its christmas... sigh...
fourth song is 4/4
5th song is 4/4
veil of maya is 4/4
im starting to think polyrythms in the core world mean 4/4 beat with guitar going dudududududududu on an open string
born of osiris is 4/4
this is 4/4 putting the snare in 6's doesnt change anything. it sounds cool, but its really not a polymetre. its just not landing on the 2 and 4 like usual.
should have had btbam

It's so painfully obvious you have no idea what a polyrhythm is.

Quote by Skynyrd890
The same happens in every single imaginable hobby. To assume that it's only guitarists is just silly.

I play multiple instruments and the only community I see love to constantly tear each other apart for no reason is guitarists. Pianists do to an extent, but not nearly as bad.
Quote by CaptainCanti

December 14, 2017
we got rid of Ian so I wouldn't have to read this crap
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Page 1 of 2