Annoying
32 45%
Not annoying
14 20%
Depends
25 35%
Voters: 71.
Page 1 of 2
Not really. I love modest mouse and my girlfriend has a slight lisp. You cant notice it unless you record her talking, her s's kinda ring out. a super lisp like where your lip is shaped differently can be annoying.
I thought this said lips and I was hoping talk about how lately all I've noticed is girls' lips.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Lisps annoy me. I won't make fun of someone for it, but it's as irritating as all hell.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
It annoys me regardless of the situation. If it is obvious that it is on purpose, it angers me. It is beyond me why some homosexual males find the need to speak in an annoying, high-pitched voice with a lisp. It's obviously fake. I have no problem with homosexuals who speak normally, but this is just extremely annoying and I fail to see the purpose in it.
I didn't realise that homosexual men pretending to have lisps was a thing.
Lisps are real things that people can't control.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Yeah, it's a thing. I'm aware that lisps are real and people can't control them, but there are gay men that purposely lisp. I have no clue why, but I've personally met three guys that do this. A couple of them, I went to school with and they didn't have a lisp then. The other one, I heard pronounce an 's' sound and then immediately correct himself. I thought it was a relatively common thing.
I don't believe you.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
okay; I don't really care. It isn't something that I would make up, but believe what you want.
Yeah Hydra, that guy's totally right. I went to school with a dude while he was still in the closet, just spoke like a normal dude. Met him in town a few weeks ago after he'd come out and exactly that happened. Turning gay had COMPLETELY changed the dude, sadly. He used to be pretty cool.
i have a bit of a lisp its not obnoxious so i dont really care. also my voice is fairly deep and i mumble a lot so people dont even notice immediately.
They don't really bother me. I haven't actually encountered somebody with a lisp in a very long time. Vargo Hoat's dialogue in ASOIAF is very amusing though.
You know what's worse than a lisp? People who make that odd whistley sound when saying the letter S
cat
Quote by Pud
They don't really bother me. I haven't actually encountered somebody with a lisp in a very long time. Vargo Hoat's dialogue in ASOIAF is very amusing though.

Not trying to make fun or anything, but what makes you not able to say a sss sound but rather a th sound? I've never understood lisps, it isn't like a stutter, it seems pretty easy to fix. Idk though, I'm not a linguist
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

For me it depends on the person. I've seen actors in movies and TV pull it off and I knew a girl in high school who I could hardly understand when I first met her and we ended up pretty good friends.

Some people with lisps get on my nerves though, especially when for whatever reason it sounds like they do it on purpose almost.
Quote by naedauuf
Not trying to make fun or anything, but what makes you not able to say a sss sound but rather a th sound? I've never understood lisps, it isn't like a stutter, it seems pretty easy to fix. Idk though, I'm not a linguist
Not sure if it counts as a lisp, but I'd just like to chime in and say that for my whole life up until two years ago, I've had sort of a lisp when saying "ch", "sh", and also pronounced "th" and my R's wrong.

Apart from a few people who laughed at me, I never realised and only found out when I had to record an oral presentation for English class. It's impossible to hear what you're really pronouncing unless you record it and play it back.

I've since corrected them by myself, but it's annoying to know that basically my whole life, people probably haven't taken me as seriously because I sounded weird.
Last edited by super_strat at Sep 21, 2013,
I know a guy who pronounces his 's' as a 'sh', who works in a place called 'Sound Services'. Hell of a nice guy though and I wouldn't mention it but for the fact that he has a great sense of humour about it.
I'm learning spanish from Spain, and all the "c"'s have to be pronounced as "th"'s.

It's the way they speak it there.

EDIT: So it's "Barthelona".
Quote by LordSandwich
If Jay Leno didnt lisp he'd be Joseph Leonardo.

And if Edward Woodward had no letter 'd' in his name he'd be called 'Ewar Woowar'.
Not that bothered. People all talk differently. It's no more annoying that a slant on certain words or a slightly odd idiolect.

I used to (and still do at times) mix up my /r/s and /w/s, but the school did this speech therapy thing which helped.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I've only met a few people in my life who've done it. I think some gays do it as a way of showing what they are so no one is surprised.

After looking it up, it seems it's usually just kids not figuring out how to make the sound so they substitute it and then it becomes a habit.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
My s sound hisses a little but most people don't even notice
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

I actally find slight lisp attractive on girls.
A heavier one, I find a bit annoying, but then again I've only heard it in movies so far, and there it's probably meant to be annoying.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by Guodlca
I actally find slight lisp attractive on girls.
A heavier one, I find a bit annoying, but then again I've only heard it in movies so far, and there it's probably meant to be annoying.

+1
There was a character on that tv show Skins years ago that had a soft lisp that added to her attractiveness.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I know a guy who pronounces his 's' as a 'sh', who works in a place called 'Sound Services'.

That's brutal. That's like when Ken Doherty has to say that the snooker's the best of 'Tirrty Tree'
I find lisps more distracting than annoying. Unless it's the over the top, obviously fake one that gay people do in which case I just want to slap them round the head and tell them to speak properly because I know that they can.
lisps don't bother me, but fakery does
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by Philip_pepper
I'm learning spanish from Spain, and all the "c"'s have to be pronounced as "th"'s.

That isn't a lisp, though. That is just the way the 'c' and 'z' sounds are pronounced. They are able to pronounce the 's' sound unless they actually have a lisp. Not all Spanish people speak using ceceo, however. In the south,(in most of Andalusia) they use seseo, or pronounce the sounds with an 's'. They have a distinct dialect though. I learned Iberian Spanish also. If a Spanish person wants to correct me, feel free.
It annoys me, but i feel kind of bad about being annoyed by it, because it's something that can't really be helped.

I don't like hearing people who can't pronounce their R's properly. It's like they are taking the piss.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Philip_pepper

I thought that was only when there was a cedilla?

i.e. Marca is pronounced Marka and Barçalona is pronounced Barthelona
Quote by Trowzaa
I thought that was only when there was a cedilla?

i.e. Marca is pronounced Marka and Barçalona is pronounced Barthelona

Except Barcelona is spelt with an e, so it doesn't need a cedilla.

In Spanish, French and Portuguese, c is pronounced "k" before a, o and u (same as in English) but you can put the cedilla to make it have the "s" sound before those letters.

They put a cedilla in Barça because they change the e to an a, but the Spanish have that sort of lisp on any s-sounding c/ç, as well as z, I think.

Anyway, on lisps in general, I don't usually find them particularly annoying, but sometimes lead singers (usually women) have lisps that you don't notice in the songs, but then you see video footage of them singing and you can see they pronounce the "s" sounds with their tongue. That completely ruins everything for me, I don't know why
Last edited by sickman411 at Sep 21, 2013,
I know a couple of girls with slight lisps on whom it's adorable. Severe ones can make understanding someone while they're talking a little troublesome but it's not anything I can't deal with.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Oct 8, 2013,
Page 1 of 2