I am just curious to see what you all think.

Also, this is intended for sub-$1000?

I realize there is an infinite number of variables, for example shipping temperature change and handling, etc.

____

I really don't, for two main reasons, first reason being I set up every guitar i get, and secondly because in business nothing is free, and i would prefer to have something else upgraded.

However i DO expect it to be fully playable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I agree, playable yes, set up not really as it's really a waste in my opinion. Since every player likes his/her guitar set up differently and use multiple tunings and string gauges it's impossible to make everyone perfect anyway just wastes resources.
Quote by jaymz9350
I agree, playable yes, set up not really as it's really a waste in my opinion. Since every player likes his/her guitar set up differently and use multiple tunings and string gauges it's impossible to make everyone perfect anyway just wastes resources.

That is pretty much 100% where I am at.

the main reason for this thread is that over the last while I have been thinking about all these threads and reviews.

what I really don't like the setup to be seen as lower quality. It really isn't. IMO
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Everyone has a different idea of a proper set-up. They should all be playable when purchased new.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Playable? Yes. Properly set up? No, too many variables (change in humidity, taste...). If I buy new guitar I always take the guitar to a tech for a string change and setup.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I expect it set up to be playable, but not set up to the way I like. Pretty much going to be the consensus I think.
Quote by telemetal
I expect it set up to be playable, but not set up to the way I like. Pretty much going to be the consensus I think.

Certainly.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I think that is world record time for a consensus regarding anything subjective.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I think new guitars should be set up competently from the factory with standard measurements, but it's unreasonable to expect that they are going to be set up exactly the way you want them. They always use lighter gauges than i use, so i always have to set up every guitar i buy.

Guitar stores should offer to set up guitars the way the customers want when they buy them. If i owned a guitar store i would do that.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by telemetal

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
agree with basically playable. as mentioned what works for me isn't gonna work for a shredder who likes super low action. the other thing these days is tuning. with all the low tuning it would be tough to work that out as well. I usually can judge whether a guitar just plays like crap or just needs a setup to be good. that comes with experience which not everyone has. kind of a no win situation.
Quote by telemetal

yep
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Blompcube

... Guitar stores should offer to set up guitars the way the customers want when they buy them. If i owned a guitar store i would do that.

My GC sets up guitars over and equal $1000. But its a general setup, not to your specs. They won't even barter with a setup.

A small shop around here set up everything.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I do not believe that guitars should be set up.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I agree that guitar shops should set them up, but I've found many times that there is generally only one person in the store (mostly GC) that does it. If that person isn't there then I would much rather do it myself, as a lot of associates have no idea how to do a proper set up. So, falling in line with everyone else, should be playable but set up is always unique to the user.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Guitars should have a set-up from the factory absolutly , maybe call it a base line to avoid confusion ..... most likely its not what you want but it should have some kind of "standardized set up " before it hits the door ..... sure change string height and strings , balance the pickups to meet your needs , but they should for sure have some kind of standard factory set up for a good base line .... if its set up nice from the factory it should only take minor tweaking to get where you want it
Quote by Blompcube
I think new guitars should be set up competently from the factory with standard measurements, but it's unreasonable to expect that they are going to be set up exactly the way you want them. They always use lighter gauges than i use, so i always have to set up every guitar i buy.

Guitar stores should offer to set up guitars the way the customers want when they buy them. If i owned a guitar store i would do that.

Pretty much that.
Depends.

It's odd cause when guitars are hand made like PRS, t check them before they go out, as in they prolly set them up to check them out, then ship.

It's not like after the guitar is good they going to lower pups and random strings for no reason.

It would also be in their best interest to get a guitar set up right for a wall in a shop, so they sound at their best, and are uniform is potential more sale.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Funny story.....this is the method Gibson uses when setting up the bridge on their pricier models....I don´t know if this is the same with most models.

1. Put on strings, adjust to correct tension
2. Aline the strings for correct distance and position over neck and bridge
3. Give each saddle a good whack with a hammer, just where the string goes over it, to make a small groove in each saddle

this is OK with a nashville but on the older ABR model it´s not the greatest idea. I couldn´t figure out why I couldn´t intonate the damned thing until I took the screws out when changing saddles (another long gibson quality story) and found that all but 1 of them was arched....very much so!! I called my father , who at the time was working for gibson in their Chicago location (where they wind strings) compaining about the quality of the screws they used in the bridge and this is how I learned about their "whack-it-with-a-hammer" method.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
At the very least they should be playable with reasonable action an hold their tune. It also depends on the price point. I'd imagine a customer buying a $2000 guitar will get a better setup than someone buying low end.

The guitars boxed in starter kits w/an amp, etc... not so much.

GC setups suck anyway. You should learn to do it yourself but if not, establish a relationship with a legitimate luthier.
^ what if he/she's married, though?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd take a factory guitar that had horrible action, high nut, bad intonation and bad neck relief and good fret dress over moderately setup guitars with bad frets
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by Blompcube

I fully agree with this, esp if you're spending over $500 or so. Every guitar store should have a competent tech. I've demo'd hundreds of guitars, & there're sometimes
serious tolerance issues between identical models, which is why I rarely buy a guitar I haven't played. It differs between manufacturers...Ibanez, Schecter, & Jackson guitars almost always seem to be nicely set up, the MIA Strats also. I bought my Gibson Flying V sight unseen from MF many years ago, & it was perfect (for me) right out of the box. Non-USA Strats, Epiphones, some ESPs, etc seem to vary a lot in playability IMO, but as many have said, playability is very subjective. To me, a properly set up guitar strung with .011" gauge strings & higher action is virtually unplayable.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Blompcube

Quote by xxdarrenxx
Depends.

It's odd cause when guitars are hand made like PRS, t check them before they go out, as in they prolly set them up to check them out, then ship.

It's not like after the guitar is good they going to lower pups and random strings for no reason.

It would also be in their best interest to get a guitar set up right for a wall in a shop, so they sound at their best, and are uniform is potential more sale.

At the shop I work, all guitars are given a setup before they go on the wall, and we will set it up to your liking when you buy it if you want something more done, and if you don't have it done, but come back in a month with a setup complaint we'll still do that first free setup.

Incidentally, tomorrow I'll be starting a in depth setup guide that sprung out of me doing large amounts of work to one of my les pauls, watch this space
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I don't expect the guitar to be perfectly set-up, because I downtune often. Because of that, I automatically change strings, and I have to set up the guitar anyways.

But on the other hand, it's easier to re-set up a guitar which was set-up earlier, than downtune a guitar which was set up badly.
Proudly endorsed by Kamecki Guitars and WBgear!

My guitars:
-B.C Rich NJ Jr.V Deluxe (6 string guitar)
-Kamecki Custom V guitar
Last edited by Aggro at Sep 26, 2013,
Quote by GABarrie
At the shop I work, all guitars are given a setup before they go on the wall, and we will set it up to your liking when you buy it if you want something more done, and if you don't have it done, but come back in a month with a setup complaint we'll still do that first free setup.

Incidentally, tomorrow I'll be starting a in depth setup guide that sprung out of me doing large amounts of work to one of my les pauls, watch this space

THAT is a good shop. wish i had one like this around here. i set up all of my guitars, so that isn't a big deal to me, but IMO that is pride for a store. and much more likely to get and maintain my business.

half the stores around here have rusty strings and it makes it hard to enjoy trying a guitar.

everytime i go to GC, if i find something i like and the strings are shit, i bring it over to the tech guy and tell them it needs to be restrung. he is a nice guy, but i don't think he likes it, but in the end they are better off paying 10 minutes in labor and whatever a pack of strings costs at their price. i really don't care if it pisses any of them off, i would just call the general manager and complain.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I know you're being rhetorical trashedlostfdup, but this question pisses me off a bit...

I mean... what is "setup". We have established that setup is subjective. So it's already known that there is basically no such thing as "being set up", because that is something that's different for everyone.

So what's the alternative? If you put strings on a guitar and tune it, you can play it. The scale of how different the setup is from what you like seems pretty damn arbitrary to me. Super high action doesn't make the guitar "not set up", you can still play it even if you don't like it.

I mean... the only possible way a guitar could not be set up is if the action was so low that the strings were digging into the frets, and you physically could not play notes. Outside of that scenario, I think this entire argument is pointless and ridiculous.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Maybe I should have been more clear. I think but didn't address for a reason is that from online stores from the factory and extending to stores that throw them up on a wall. The question i was asking was derived from several bad reviews stating that the lacked 'quality' or something similar was bad because he just had fret buzz. I don't read reviews for the info, unless it is somebody i know, strictly for entertainment when i am bored and the forums are slow.

Setup i am referring to would be out of the box tune up and be enjoying to play with some comfort for a short while. i KNOW everybody likes their guitars set up in a certain way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by Offworld92
I know you're being rhetorical trashedlostfdup, but this question pisses me off a bit...

I mean... what is "setup". We have established that setup is subjective. So it's already known that there is basically no such thing as "being set up", because that is something that's different for everyone.

Shops usually have a setup menu...

For example... http://www.thirdcoastguitar.com/prices/2009-guitar-repair-pricing-guide/

"Set-ups include diagnostics, redressing and buffing frets, cleaning fret board, tightening hardware, restring, adjusting nut slots, truss rod adjustment, balancing tremolo, adjusting action, setting intonation, checking electronics, adjusting pick ups, detail and cleaning. Electro/acoustics get balance of output, and archtops have bridge located and taped."