There are a few companies that make or made acrylic guitars. Got any more info, like a band name? When the pix are from?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 21, 2013,
These guys have been around a while- it could be an older one of theirs: http://www.crystalguitars.com/index2.html

Quote by dannyalcatraz
There are a few companies that make or made acrylic guitars. Got any more info, like a band name? When the pix are from?

From music video of Gay Dad's Joy!. It was taken in 1999. Thnx for the reply.
It looks like a new Ampeg ADA6

Dillon has a few different acrylic guitars also if the Ampeg is to much

EDIT: if it is from 1999, it is an original Ampeg not the reissue
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 21, 2013,
Quote by kyuseok
Then which Gibson or Fender guitar sounds like ADA6?

none, those have a unique pickup in them. I don't think you can even buy the pickup separately
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's one of Ampeg's acrylic guitars (Dan Armstrong model. I believe is the correct name).

And it won't sound like a Gibson nor a Fender since the pickup that's in it is unique to the guitar.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by aerosmithfan95
It's one of Ampeg's acrylic guitars (Dan Armstrong model. I believe is the correct name).

And it won't sound like a Gibson nor a Fender since the pickup that's in it is unique to the guitar.

You are correct. They were first made early '70s. A few famous players like Keith Richards played them. They started building them again ten years or so ago. They are also making wood versions.

Aside from the acrylic body, the unique feature is quick-change interchangeable pickups... a single screw on the back side, and the pickup slides out. As far as which Gibson/Fender sounds closest, depends on which pickup is in the Dan Armstrong.

Last edited by stormin1155 at Sep 21, 2013,
It's a Dan Armstrong Plex (sold originally by Ampeg). Stormin1155 has the story on the money. The pickups are interchangeable and there used to be, I believe, about a half dozen different pickups, based on sound. The guitarist above likely has just the original pickup that came with the guitar.

Maybe more to the point, some stylist or art director brought in a selection of cool guitars that worked with the visual effect the director of the video was going for and they handed the singer the one they liked. Never count on the artist actually playing the flashy video guitar on the original recording.
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
Maybe more to the point, some stylist or art director brought in a selection of cool guitars that worked with the visual effect the director of the video was going for and they handed the singer the one they liked. Never count on the artist actually playing the flashy video guitar on the original recording.

+1

Cliff Jones used fender electric XII's a lot (12 strings) on stage. Doesn't sound like a 12-string on Joy! but then it's a very distorted and processed sound that probably retains very little of the original tone of the guitar, so it's almost impossible to tell what guitar he recorded it with by just listening.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by stormin1155
You are correct. They were first made early '70s. A few famous players like Keith Richards played them. They started building them again ten years or so ago. They are also making wood versions.

Aside from the acrylic body, the unique feature is quick-change interchangeable pickups... a single screw on the back side, and the pickup slides out. As far as which Gibson/Fender sounds closest, depends on which pickup is in the Dan Armstrong.

Yep, and the only reason I was able to recognize the guitar model and it was originally sold by Ampeg was the fact that Joe Perry played one on Draw the Line for most of their career. I was big on Aerosmith a couple years ago (hence my username), so I read quite a bit.

If I had teh spending money for a guitar, I'd definitely get one of these.
Skip the username, call me Billy
I loved ADA6's tone and sound, but too sad that it is too hard to buy and there's no guitar from Gibson or Fender which is similar to it...

Cliff used SG guitar once on live. I think I have to get a SG.
Quote by kyuseok
I loved ADA6's tone and sound, but too sad that it is too hard to buy and there's no guitar from Gibson or Fender which is similar to it...

Cliff used SG guitar once on live. I think I have to get a SG.

Dillion guitars makes a few different plexi models that are way cheaper than the Ampeg
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Dillion guitars makes a few different plexi models that are way cheaper than the Ampeg

Are they available now?
Heard about ADA6's pickup sounds like a P-90 from mylespaul forum... Maybe I can find the sound that I want to make soon...
Quote by kyuseok
Are they available now?

I'm pretty sure they have a few models left (they say they do on their website) you have to contact a dealer though they do not sell direct.

There is an Electra ADA6 clone on ebay for $499 right now if that would work for you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate