I want to buy this secondhand Gibson Les Paul but on the truss rod cover it doesn't say 'Standard' or 'Studio'. It only says the name of the previous owner( custom shop maybe?). Shopkeeper says everything on the guitar is stock. Oh yeah, and the color is sunburst-ish.
Need help! Every help is much appreciated. THX! Peace.
1 - get the serial number & check it to help determine if the guitar is genuine:
http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

2 - Play it & decide if you like it.

Nothing else matters.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If you need to know whether the guitar is fake or not, get out a decent camera and start taking photos. Then take those photos over to My Les Paul or the Les Paul Forums and ask.

Shopkeepers have different ideas of what's stock and what's not. For some, if it's got all the bits and pieces that make up a guitar and none of them are day-glo purple, they'll pass it as "stock." It might not be original in any particular at all, but to them it's got all the right number of fingers and toes, so it's good to go.
^^^Yes pics. Good ones and some of us will be able to help. GDP is a waste of time for validating any guitar. If you know the guitar is legit GDP can tell you more about when or where it was built but the premise is the guitar & S/N are real.
If you email Gibson customer service they will usually tell you what the guitar with the serial number should be. Then it's up to you check the description against the info Gibson provides.
Moving on.....
Quote by paruwi
Guitarundater never could - and never will be able to verify if a guitar is legit or not

I didn't say "verify", I said "help determine". There's a big difference in those two statements. You can verify that it's a genuine serial number, and therefore probably a genuine neck (assuming the serial number is properly imprinted etc), but it doesn't help you know if the rest of the guitar is genuine - the neck could have been attached to a cheaper LP copy.

Playing it is the most important part. If it feels good & plays well, then you can decide if you're willing to pay the asking price - after that, not much else matters.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
I didn't say "verify", I said "help determine". There's a big difference in those two statements. You can verify that it's a genuine serial number, and therefore probably a genuine neck (assuming the serial number is properly imprinted etc), but it doesn't help you know if the rest of the guitar is genuine - the neck could have been attached to a cheaper LP copy.

Playing it is the most important part. If it feels good & plays well, then you can decide if you're willing to pay the asking price - after that, not much else matters.

No, it doesn't even help....

probably is NO help
assuming is NO help
if is NO help
could have is NO help

you just don't get it
Last edited by paruwi at Sep 21, 2013,
...and that's why I only said it would help determine if it was genuine, I didn't say it was conclusive proof of anything.

Checking the serial number is one step along the way, it isn't the full answer. I really don't know where you saw me say anything different.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
1 - get the serial number & check it to help determine if the guitar is genuine:
http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

2 - Play it & decide if you like it.

Nothing else matters.

No, It can't even help determine if the guitar is genuine or not

The Guitardater Project cannot verify the authenticity of ANY Guitar, this site is simply meant as a tool to satisfy the curiosity of guitar enthusiasts. This website possesses NO DATABASE of guitars made by manufactures, instead simple serial code patterns that are available on this site and in the wider guitar community are used. It follows that potential scammers can use this knowledge to try to trick unsuspecting buyers. If you have any doubts as to a guitars’ authenticity please contact the guitar manufacturer before your purchase.
Regards,

JPW

From their own website, they finally 'got it' themselves.....
Last edited by paruwi at Oct 6, 2013,
OK, now you're just repeating yourself, I recommend going back & re-reading the conversation so far in a circular fashion as all my responses will be the same each time: Checking the serial number is a useful step along the way to determining if a guitar is genuine, but I have never said it was conclusive proof of anything.

Look, I was just trying to post some help, unfortunately you don't appear to understand that and have a need to make sure you have the last word on everything.

As it will obviously make you happy, I will now let you repost one of your arguments that disproves a statement I never made in the first place. I won't reply, therefore you can have the final word as it obviously matters to you a lot more than it matters to me.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
OK, now you're just repeating yourself, I recommend going back & re-reading the conversation so far in a circular fashion as all my responses will be the same each time: Checking the serial number is a useful step along the way to determining if a guitar is genuine, but I have never said it was conclusive proof of anything.

Look, I was just trying to post some help, unfortunately you don't appear to understand that and have a need to make sure you have the last word on everything.

As it will obviously make you happy, I will now let you repost one of your arguments that disproves a statement I never made in the first place. I won't reply, therefore you can have the final word as it obviously matters to you a lot more than it matters to me.

I think he's implying that the serial numbers are faked as well and will be correct for the guitar regardless of authenticity. So, it will not help at all.

Is the seller is respectable and are they knowledgeable? The copies are getting really close to the real thing now. If someone is asking a couple grand, you you either need to know the seller's reputation or have first hand experience with the real deal. IMO.

How much are they asking?
A serial number in itself, even if it's 100% valid, means nothing. I can make up a serial number that the Guitar Dater will say is valid without even having a guitar in front of me. In fact, I can make up serial numbers all day long, every one of which will be "valid".

So, knowing the serial number is only a HELPER in confirming other information the seller could be providing (i.e. if the seller says it's a 1969 and the serial number says its a 2009, you've got cause to worry).
Quote by KidGuitarer
I'll try to get photos ASAP. Btw I played it it sounds AWESOME!

Quote by Preacher403
A serial number in itself, even if it's 100% valid, means nothing. I can make up a serial number that the Guitar Dater will say is valid without even having a guitar in front of me. In fact, I can make up serial numbers all day long, every one of which will be "valid".

So, knowing the serial number is only a HELPER in confirming other information the seller could be providing (i.e. if the seller says it's a 1969 and the serial number says its a 2009, you've got cause to worry).

Exactly. At least someone gets the difference between 'help' and 'verify'.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud