Ok So basically I will be buying a Charvel Desolation Ds-2 very soon, Ive checked every spec of it and it seems very good to me.

Basically the last decision I have to make is which finish to go with.
There's Trans Black: http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/charvel_desolation_ds-2_st_transparent_black.asp

And flat black: http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/charvel_desolation_ds-2_st_flat_black.asp

May seem like a pointless question really, but which would you go for?
For me The Trans Black look killer, but flat black just looks a bit more Neutral/Professional

Cheers.
Flat black is a current trend/fad on guitars and cars. It's a carryover of the "Stealth" look of the F117 and B2 and has a sort of military appeal.

Think of wide disco collars, tie-dyed shirts, big hair, leopard-print pants, Prince's frilly Purple Rain shirts, guyliner, etc. All seemed like a good idea at the time, but it definitely identifies a specific era. The deeper you are into the trends and fashions of a given era, the further OUT of fashion you'll be when the era passes and the more giggle-worthy you'll be to the next generation of fashion.

I'm obviously not a fan of the flat black look. I don't think it looks neutral/professional at all, and I think it's got about as much staying power as day-glo orange spandex or green/yellow shag carpeting.

But, as they say in the fashion biz, "It's a look. "
We can't decide what you like. I can tell you that the trans black has a maple top, where the flat black is full mahogany. I'd bet 100% that won't hear the difference. It's the look of it that matters in this scenario. Choose what you like.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
^ That's I meant, yeah. Good correction.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by dspellman

Think of wide disco collars, tie-dyed shirts, big hair, leopard-print pants, Prince's frilly Purple Rain shirts, guyliner, etc. All seemed like a good idea at the time, but it definitely identifies a specific era. The deeper you are into the trends and fashions of a given era, the further OUT of fashion you'll be when the era passes and the more giggle-worthy you'll be to the next generation of fashion.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I Understand that the Flat Black may go out of fashion quick but wouldn't the trans black be more heavily criticized? Ive tried to get some pictures of it in real life, and it seems brown in some :L
Quote by Hogg111
I Understand that the Flat Black may go out of fashion quick but wouldn't the trans black be more heavily criticized? Ive tried to get some pictures of it in real life, and it seems brown in some :L

Criticized for what? Get the one you like! If you're worried about what other people think you're doing it wrong.

For the record, I like the trans black
Make sure to make a NGD!
Quote by Hogg111

yeah trans black can sometimes look more brown than black

as people have been saying just go for whichever one you like best.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've seen both finishes in the flesh and the flat black looks much better, it also requires less cleaning of fingerprints.

I own the flat black one.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
I say trans black, but I'm also one of those people who rightfully thinks that wood grain is always a plus to see, especially when its a high quality top (especially bubinga. I bubinga).
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
I wish one of these companies aiming guitars at the metal aesthetic would make a finish color "Nonemore Black"...

Anywho...

I have a matte black Malden Bad Karma that looks quite nice, but I also have guitars on my G.A.S. list that I feel look best in quilted Trans-black.

So buy whichever you feel looks best on that guitar, trends be damned.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 22, 2013,