Just wanted to ask what you guys recommend as a first effects pedal, ive got a cheap squire at the minuite and have only been learning for a couple of months and want to get more into it. also thinking about getting something like a gretsch at some point in the next few months.

I mainly play punk (not this modern crap, the proper stuff) but want to get into playing white stripes, queen of the stoneage bluesy rock stuff at some point.
Any recomendations for something not too expensive and good to get me started will be much appreciated. Also any other equipment thatll help will be good too.

Thanks
What effect do you want? Modulation? Delay? Reverb? Wah? Filter? Compression? Overdrive?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I'd be inclined to recommend a reasonably good multi effects at this stage. Gave me an excellent idea of what effects I did and didn't want and then I went on to learn more about those specific ones.
Quote by Eladamri
I'd be inclined to recommend a reasonably good multi effects at this stage. Gave me an excellent idea of what effects I did and didn't want and then I went on to learn more about those specific ones.

Sounds interesting, any particular ones?

Also on the point of what effects id want, i should probably mention i dont really know what they do.
Quote by Jr1000
Sounds interesting, any particular ones?

Also on the point of what effects id want, i should probably mention i dont really know what they do.

Then why do you want one? No point driving a manual car if you don't know what the clutch does and how to use it. Similar concept.

Edit: I should add that I'm not trying to put you off from effects pedals. Just that I think you should understand what you want and what they're for so you don't go wasting your money.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I mean i dont know what the different types do, i had a try of a few in couple of shops the other day and really liked some, although when they started talking about the technical bits my mind wondered and i got lost.
The best way to learn is to try them surely? although i could see if anyone i know has some i can borrow first.
I also listen to a lot of stuff that uses pedals (shoegazey stuff and what not) so it would be nice to find out how that all works.
For sure get a multi effects pedal then. Go to some online stores in your country (you haven't said where you are) and go to the multi effects section of guitar effects. Have a look at what's there and then go back to the guitar shop and try them. The only one I have any knowledge to is the Boss stuff, ME-70 and GT-100.
Multi Effects is always the best way to introduce yourself to all the different options & figure out what you do/don't like.

Not sure about the ME70 - although Boss will tell you it's an upgrade from the ME50 that preceded it, I've read the components inside aren't as good. I had the ME50 for several years though, and always thought it was a good pedal even if only a couple of the drives are usable. I'd certainly recommend it, especially as it can be had quite cheap on the used market.

Line 6 M series & Zoom G series are worth looking into as well.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud