so I read about it on the forum but I still don't understand it... I have no idea why my amp has a standby and power switch so how do you properly turn them on and off(simpler terms)?
If you turn the standby on before the power, the amp will blow up.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
TS: flip the power switch. Wait a minute. Flip the standby switch. Done.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
TS: flip the power switch. Wait a minute. Flip the standby switch. Done.

+1 and do the opposite to shut it off
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ +1, except there's no need to wait a minute when turning off. you normally just flip them both on turning off so that the switches are in the correct position for the correct turn-on procedure next time...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
turn on power switch, wait 30 seconds to a minute, turn on standby switch. kick out teh jamz. hit standby switch, wait a few seconds, turn off power.

there are parts in the amp that need to warm up before use, standby switch controls this
Quote by Lavatain
If you turn the standby on before the power, the amp will blow up.

does warranty cover it if it does blow up ;( this amp has a 5 year warranty.
Quote by mrbunny1725
does warranty cover it if it does blow up ;( this amp has a 5 year warranty.

he was joking, it wont blow up

if you do not do it the way that was described you can shorten the tube life though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I wasn't sure if you was going to fall for that

I was pulling your leg, others in the thread got it dead on
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Robbgnarly
he was joking, it wont blow up

if you do not do it the way that was described you can shorten the tube life though

+1

and even then it probably won't do the tubes *that* much harm

don't leave it on standby for too long, either. You can ironically do more harm than good (just to the tubes again, so don't worry overly) if you leave it on standby too long.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Some tube amps, including my own, do not have standby switches... What does that tell you about the negative implications of not using them.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Some tube amps, including my own, do not have standby switches... What does that tell you about the negative implications of not using them.

Yeah my 1980 only has a power, no standby. Turn it on and 30 seconds later.....sound
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah my 1980 only has a power, no standby. Turn it on and 30 seconds later.....sound

But what about the children? Isn't anyone thinking of the children?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I quit using my standby switch a couple weeks ago, all seems fine
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I quit using my standby switch a couple weeks ago, all seems fine

Have you been watching the news? The effects are obvious. When will we think of the children?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Is there a certain way to turn one off as well? I do the usual "turn power on, wait a few minutes, flick standby switch", but for turning it off I just do the reverse with only a few seconds in between.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by Woffelz
Is there a certain way to turn one off as well? I do the usual "turn power on, wait a few minutes, flick standby switch", but for turning it off I just do the reverse with only a few seconds in between.

I have accidentally turned it off without first flicking the standby switch and it made a popping noise and I didn't like it. I don't think it did any harm but it just feels safer to first flick the standby switch and then turn the power off.

It doesn't take that much effort to flick both switches. It's designed to work that way so why not just do it?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Sep 21, 2013,
Standby switches on any amp from the last 20 years (maybe 30) are bullshit, turn on both, play, turn off both.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Woffelz

that's fine
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911
Standby switches on any amp from the last 20 years (maybe 30) are bullshit, turn on both, play, turn off both.

Not just modern amps, you wouldn't cook the old one's trannies either. And the really old ones had tube rectifiers so they effectively had a timed switch on too (plus smaller filter caps). It's a bit of a myth really. Anybody that designed an amp that couldn't deal with inrush current shouldn't be designing amps.

Consider this. No other tube devices (radios, etc) had a standby switch. You just turned them on and waited until sound started to come out. The standby switch is a hangover from the days when people thought it was a good idea for muting the amp between sets so you didn't have to wait for it to warm up again. For short breaks it's not so bad to kill the HT, you just don't want to do it for too long.
Turning on the amp with the standby switch engaged does lessen the inrush current into the amp but it should never be a problem in a well designed amp and it certainly isn't why they were invented.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 21, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
Not just modern amps, you wouldn't cook the old one's trannies either. And the really old ones had tube rectifiers so they effectively had a timed switch on too (plus smaller filter caps). It's a bit of a myth really. Anybody that designed an amp that couldn't deal with inrush current shouldn't be designing amps.

Consider this. No other tube devices (radios, etc) had a standby switch. You just turned them on and waited until sound started to come out. The standby switch is a hangover from the days when people thought it was a good idea for muting the amp between sets so you didn't have to wait for it to warm up again. For short breaks it's not so bad to kill the HT, you just don't want to do it for too long.
Turning on the amp with the standby switch engaged does lessen the inrush current into the amp but it should never be a problem in a well designed amp and it certainly isn't why they were invented.

I know, I was being diplomatic...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Fcuk diplomacy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Arby911

I used to put my Mark IV on standby for 10-30 seconds before I turned it completely off because I thought... something. I don't even know what I thought because it doesn't make any sense until one day I understood what I was doing and realized I could just shut it off.