When I play guitar for a while, my guitar pick shaves some plastic off. 3 of my guitar picks that are the same are worn off on the part where it strums the strings. Is that normal?
I use Dunlop Tortex Black and they wore a little but it isn't bad at all. Just smoothed out a bit.
I've been using Gravity Picks for awhile to the point where i realized they were wearing off really fast!!

I then converted to Cactus Picks (delrin) and these things last LONG. even for me, I do a lot of alternate picking and aggressive music.

I'm actually endorsed by them but I'm not saying buy Cactus Picks (they're dirty cheap though) but at least give a try to the delrin material
I don't have this issue too much, but at the same time I don't practise for hours on end each day.

Above anything else I find pick scrapes cause damage to the picks, and then those little nicks keep catching :/

Try different plectrums perhaps?
Depends on the material, celluloid picks go really fast. Try nylon or, as the person above me suggested, delrin. Cactus picks are so strong that they actually chip away at my pickup covers (sadly I don't use them any more for that reason )

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Depends on the material, celluloid picks go really fast. Try nylon or, as the person above me suggested, delrin. Cactus picks are so strong that they actually chip away at my pickup covers (sadly I don't use them any more for that reason )

wait the picks break?
I use dunlop .73's and they wear like anything, have just started on the pointier version though, I do prefer them.
Silverburst
Jazz III - incredibly durable; the tip wears out after a while, but no pick shavings.
Quote by Vendetta V
wait the picks break?

No I meant that they eat away the plastic pickup covers. I'd rather replace picks than pickup covers so I try not to use them. Good picks other than that.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by FistOfFury
Jazz III - incredibly durable; the tip wears out after a while, but no pick shavings.

I use these too. Gotta love them
Wayne's World! Party Time! Excellent!
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth

Schecter Platinum C-1 Floyd Rose

Quote by Lord_Doku
Friendship and masturbation go a long way towards happiness. Until you have sex, then it's friendship and sex. And an empty wallet.
All picks wear out, you can kind of prolong their life by rubbing the worn point on a carpet, no joke it will actually help it out a bit, but picks fall under the consumable category like strings. I use thin celluloid picks and one pick scrape on the strings and the pick will have grooves on that edge and after a few hours of hard playing I can wear the tip right off and I only use 9s for strings!
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by jthm_guitarist
No I meant that they eat away the plastic pickup covers. I'd rather replace picks than pickup covers so I try not to use them. Good picks other than that.

oh

that's hella durable picks!

I actually love 'em. been playing for over a year with those and never been any happier with picks
Quote by Vendetta V
I've been using Gravity Picks for awhile to the point where i realized they were wearing off really fast!!

Geez, I've been using Gravity picks and have had just the opposite experience; mine last forever. Have you had the same results with V-Picks? The other picks I've been using are the Big Stubbies from Dunlop -- also good wear. My string gauges are mostly 9's and 10's, and I have a fairly light touch (I'm up on the point for the alternate picking and there's not a lot of extra motion in my strumming).

I've had a Pick Punch for a while, and will occasionally bang out a bunch of picks from various materials, especially for acoustic banging and kumbaya moments on the beach. If you play with a thinner or standard pick, you might consider getting one of these; I think they may even have some decent Delrin material available. I've also used it to crank out picks that I leave around when guests are in the house; they lose/steal the things in quantity. You can actually get a half-dozen picks out of an old credit card.

Quote by dspellman
Geez, I've been using Gravity picks and have had just the opposite experience; mine last forever. Have you had the same results with V-Picks? The other picks I've been using are the Big Stubbies from Dunlop -- also good wear. My string gauges are mostly 9's and 10's, and I have a fairly light touch (I'm up on the point for the alternate picking and there's not a lot of extra motion in my strumming).

I had the extra heavy I believe. Chris sent me a few sharp ones but after a week I had to file them back to sharp.
I'm at the tip for anything basically not jsut alternate, but the picks weren't really sufficing I guess.

With Cactus picks, I've been impressed by how long the sharp tip lasts with my extra heavy picks (not sure if that's available for sale, but I do get some for myself )

as for V-Picks, I only just got my first V-Pick and it's not a sharp tip pick. I am not actually using it on my electric but my classical and acoustic. Might last longer that way since I'm quite light on acoustic guitars as opposed to my heavy style of playing (although with light touch but I still do a lot of aggressive playing which needs excessive use of picking) on electric guitars

and yea I use 9ers myself
I use the ones that look like celluloid. 1mm or thicker. I pick on the flat side not the edge so wear is minimal and i usually loose a pick before it ever wears out.
You can choose your pick based on wear but I choose mine based on feel and sound. I just don't like nylon for either characteristic nor tortex or plain plastic.
Moving on.....