There's this guy who's selling a standard American Fender Telecaster at $500 and I think it's a good deal, they cost around $1,000.00 in my country. I'll be trying it out on Monday.

Where should I start looking at to make sure it's not defective? How do I make sure the neck isn't crooked or stuff like that? Somewhere I've read it's recommended to check the screwable back hollow part of the guitar, how is it called? to check make sure if it's legit or not.

He's also offering a small Marshall Amp and a Digitech RP70 for an extra $50, should I take it? I don't really need them but it looks like a good deal.

MOST importantly, here are some pictures.
Attachments:
2868857_89ef9f.jpg
2868857_971b95.jpg
2868857_c2e16e.jpg
That looks like a Mexican telecaster to me. 21 frets instead of 22, black insert on the truss rod nut, wrong string tree, and the decals look wrong for a recent MIA strat. Maybe it's an older model, I'm not super familiar with how the model has changed over the years, but the first thing I'd check is that it doesn't say "Made in Mexico" under the "Telecaster" logo on the headstock. I can't quite make it out from that picture, but it sure looks like a MIM decal to me.

If the neck is crooked there will likely be dead spots on the fretboard, where notes won't ring out properly or will buzz excessively. Other things to look for are very high action, or action that changes drastically over the board. There's no rear control cavity on this guitar, just plug it in and make sure it makes sound. I doubt the person you're buying from will let you take a screwdriver to the guitar just to poke around. Really the best way to check if it's legit is to get some better pictures and post them here, we've got a lot of people who can spot a fake.

I wouldn't bother with the extra stuff.
Quote by Roc8995
That looks like a Mexican telecaster to me. 21 frets instead of 22, black insert on the truss rod nut, wrong string tree, and the decals look wrong for a recent MIA strat. Maybe it's an older model, I'm not super familiar with how the model has changed over the years, but the first thing I'd check is that it doesn't say "Made in Mexico" under the "Telecaster" logo on the headstock. I can't quite make it out from that picture, but it sure looks like a MIM decal to me.

If the neck is crooked there will likely be dead spots on the fretboard, where notes won't ring out properly or will buzz excessively. Other things to look for are very high action, or action that changes drastically over the board. There's no rear control cavity on this guitar, just plug it in and make sure it makes sound. I doubt the person you're buying from will let you take a screwdriver to the guitar just to poke around. Really the best way to check if it's legit is to get some better pictures and post them here, we've got a lot of people who can spot a fake.

I wouldn't bother with the extra stuff.

What do you mean by "high action" and "action"?

If the decal says Made in Mexico then it's obviously Mexican, are Mexican Telecasters notably or slightly worse than American Telecasters?

If it says Made in America, from what you've been telling me, it could be a Chinise Knockoff, are they notably bad?

Thanks a lot for your help.
The string tree is definitely wrong for a MIA Tele. It should a round one. The type shown in the posted photos is typically used on the Strats - it's also used on the MIM Teles. Also, looks like your serial number is on the front of the headstock. As Roc mentioned, this pretty much indicates you're looking at an MIM Tele.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Sep 21, 2013,
Quote by TheClown
(a) What do you mean by "high action" and "action"?

(b) If the decal says Made in Mexico then it's obviously Mexican, are Mexican Telecasters notably or slightly worse than American Telecasters?

(a) the height of the strings above the fretboard.

(b) they're worth a fair bit less.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A Made in Mexico Telecaster is worth $300. A Made in America Telecaster is worth often in excess of $700. This is the difference. As for what is specifically different, almost everything.

So a Made in Mexico Telecaster for $500 is a huge ripoff IMO. Be wary of scams and bad deals with dealing locally. I don't know what stores you have near you that sell guitars, but a MIM Fender guitar purchased new shouldn't be more than $500.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-FSR-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar-105949283-i1559902.gc
^Example.