I love britpops and modern rock more than hard rock or metal. and I'm gonna use my guitar to play rhythm guitar. Which type of guitar will be better for me? like SG, LP, Strat, etc., Thnx.
Your tone will be defined from your amp moreso than your guitar. Other than that a strat or a tele is usually used on those genres.
Quote by Deledhel
Your tone will be defined from your amp moreso than your guitar. Other than that a strat or a tele is usually used on those genres.

thank you for advising
Your tone DOES depend a lot on the guitar you have. You start noticing how it changes once you start having more than one.

Britpop and (light) modern rock bands usually play Fender guitars, or brands with low-output pickups, because of the clean tones they can achieve. You could try some Gretsch guitars, as well as Rickenbackers, Danelectro, etc. But the scene standard will always be a strat/tele/jaguar/mustang. I highly suggest you should try those guitars first and maybe buy one before venturing yourself on a quest for tone. That way, even if you have multiple guitars in the future, you will always come back to play your Fender

Graham Coxon (Blur) uses a Telecaster, Johnny Marr (The Smiths) uses different Jaguar/Jazzmaster models, but then you have Noel Gallagher who uses a Gibson ES-335. It's all up to you. Try everything you can. I would avoid brands like Ibanez, PRS, ESP or Jackson, though. They are aimed towards a completely different market.

:EDIT: ALWAYS play a guitar before buying it. Don't convince yourself just by viewing some youtube videos, it's never enough.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Last edited by Svennz at Sep 22, 2013,
Quote by Svennz

I would avoid brands like Ibanez, PRS, ESP or Jackson, though. They are aimed towards a completely different market.

:EDIT: ALWAYS play a guitar before buying it. Don't convince yourself just by viewing some youtube videos, it's never enough.

Might be aimed to a different market (I don't think that PRS's are aimed at any market other than guitarists that love good sound), but PRS's are very versatile with coil-splitting options and the SE line is with no doubt one of the best lines to come out from South Korea. So, don't ignore PRS, play one and judge it.

However, I would recommend a Tele for you, TS. Absolutely fantastic guitars and they are pretty versatile too. You don't have to go for a Fender one, Squier Classic Vibe is absolutely fantastic (I've got a 50's strat from them) and then there's Tokai, whether or not available for you, it's a good brand.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I got me a brand new guitar, and she is the best guitar I ever played ever. You don't realize how much your guitar can disable your performance, at least I did going from a a non-brand name Start Amp Pack from RC Willys, to an Agile.
It's really up to you, any of the more "classic-style" guitar types (les paul, sg, strat, tele, etc.) should work, depending on exactly what type of britpop and modern rock you play, and also your own personal preference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by kyuseok
I love britpops and modern rock more than hard rock or metal. and I'm gonna use my guitar to play rhythm guitar. Which type of guitar will be better for me? like SG, LP, Strat, etc., Thnx.

You can work with almost anything, honestly. You might want to look for a versatile guitar rather than one aimed at a specific genre. One of my favorite guitars for that is an H-S-H guitar (two humbuckers with a single coil between them), and I'll make sure it's wired such that I can switch the humbuckers into a single coil mode. An additional switch might be available to add the bridge humbucker to the neck humbucker.

Here's an example of one of mine:

The controls are simpler than they look, but make the guitar extremely versatile. A single master volume and master tone and a five-way pickup selector. Two mini-switches select single or full humbucking mode on the two humbuckers (the cream coils are the ones left active when in single coil mode, and the guitar sounds very much like a strat at that point). The single miniswitch below those two selects "bridge pickup add-in" and that adds the bridge pickup to the forward two selections on the five-way. This allows you to have the Les Paul-ish middle-position sound from the humbuckers as well.

In this case the guitar has a 25" scale (about midway between a Les Paul and a Strat), 24 frets (more than either). It's a neck-through guitar with no neck heel, just an extremely smooth transition from neck to body, and it has a very standard 12" fretboard radius. You'll notice it's actually got a trem. But without the arm, the trem is very low profile and easy to palm mute, etc.
My take on it is that guitar matters, amp & effects matter at least as much, if not moreso. That said, Svennzz overall anaylsis of britpop is pretty much on target.

If I were in the market for a guitar for britpop, I'd probably start with a Reverend, G&L, Fret-King or Godin, mainly because I PERSONALLY don't do well with Fenders. They're great guitars, but they don't feel right in my hands.

Reverend has several guitars that might work well for you; here are a few:

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/manta-ray-290/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/sensei-rt/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/flatroc/
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/reverend.htm
http://reverb.com/item/13371-reverend-club-king-rt-rock-orange
http://reverb.com/item/13352-reverend-buckshot-black
http://reverb.com/item/13368-reverend-six-gun-with-wilkinson-tremolo-chronic-blue
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 22, 2013,
Quote by Svennz
I would avoid brands like Ibanez, PRS, ESP or Jackson, though.

I don't know man, PRS is pretty ridiculous when it comes to versatility. The only reason I don't have one is the price on them. Plus, I like my CT7 too much and PRS would have to come out with a carved top 7 (or 8) string. At that point, I'd probably own two by the end of the first week of release.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by dspellman
You can work with almost anything, honestly. You might want to look for a versatile guitar rather than one aimed at a specific genre. One of my favorite guitars for that is an H-S-H guitar (two humbuckers with a single coil between them), and I'll make sure it's wired such that I can switch the humbuckers into a single coil mode. An additional switch might be available to add the bridge humbucker to the neck humbucker.

Here's an example of one of mine:

The controls are simpler than they look, but make the guitar extremely versatile. A single master volume and master tone and a five-way pickup selector. Two mini-switches select single or full humbucking mode on the two humbuckers (the cream coils are the ones left active when in single coil mode, and the guitar sounds very much like a strat at that point). The single miniswitch below those two selects "bridge pickup add-in" and that adds the bridge pickup to the forward two selections on the five-way. This allows you to have the Les Paul-ish middle-position sound from the humbuckers as well.

In this case the guitar has a 25" scale (about midway between a Les Paul and a Strat), 24 frets (more than either). It's a neck-through guitar with no neck heel, just an extremely smooth transition from neck to body, and it has a very standard 12" fretboard radius. You'll notice it's actually got a trem. But without the arm, the trem is very low profile and easy to palm mute, etc.

the only problem with that (and bear in mind i'm mainly playing devil's advocate here, i personally love superstrats and agree that they're awesome and versatile) is that you rarely ever see any indie/britpop bands using superstrats. It's silly to care too much about being cool and the cosmetics, but at the same time if all your heroes use different types of guitar from the one you use, you mightn't be too pleased...

worth bearing in mind, at least.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the only problem with that (and bear in mind i'm mainly playing devil's advocate here, i personally love superstrats and agree that they're awesome and versatile) is that you rarely ever see any indie/britpop bands using superstrats. It's silly to care too much about being cool and the cosmetics, but at the same time if all your heroes use different types of guitar from the one you use, you mightn't be too pleased...

Nothing deeply wrong about that...and actually, it's one of the reasons I often suggest Reverends for things like britpop, Indie, and other "alternative" music genres.

No, not that Revs are commonly used, but what is more "Indie" than using gear that cuts its own groove? Something that isn't seen everywhere else?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

^^that's not how it works. indie means not conforming in a prescribed way.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by kyuseok

What's the budget? Do you have an amp already? Where are you?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^that's not how it works. indie means not conforming in a prescribed way.

I know, but I reiterate- what is more indie than finding gear that does what you want without aping those who went before? After all, that kind of mentality shaped the gear choices of the founding guitarists of punk and other non-mainstream/underground genres. They weren't just setting themselves apart musically, but visually as well. Anybody could have picked up a Strat or Tele, but a Jaguar, Jazzmaster or Mustang would have been a much tougher guitar to find. Ditto certain models of Gretsch. And so forth.

Put differently: buying a Jazzmaster ONLY because all your favorite indie guitarists use Jazzmasters would be conformist.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 22, 2013,
My first guitar was a SG copy from some company named Hondo. But it was given to me from my Dad's friend who worked at Digitech here locally in Utah.

That guitar wasn't that great, at all. But the floorboard and rack mount guitar processor that he gave me, allowed for almost any sound I want. So I could mimic any sound but I sucked for so long cause I couldn't learn with that guitar. Like the difference of trying to play a Chopin song on a Walmart brand piano, instead of a Steinway.

My theory/opinion is, your style of play comes from your guitar, but your sound comes from the equipment. In the sense that all the equipment in world won't help you play better with a very crappy guitar, but the best guitar in world will help you play better, however with crap equipment you won't get a good sound.

I guess the point is, get a guitar that enables you to do what you want, and not to fit a style of sound.
Last edited by RyanStorm13 at Sep 22, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I know, but I reiterate- what is more indie than finding gear that does what you want without aping those who went before? After all, that kind of mentality shaped the gear choices of the founding guitarists of punk and other non-mainstream/underground genres. They weren't just setting themselves apart musically, but visually as well. Anybody could have picked up a Strat or Tele, but a Jaguar, Jazzmaster or Mustang would have been a much tougher guitar to find. Ditto certain models of Gretsch. And so forth.

Put differently: buying a Jazzmaster ONLY because all your favorite indie guitarists use Jazzmasters would be conformist.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RyanStorm13
My first guitar was a SG copy from some company named Hondo. But it was given to me from my Dad's friend who worked at Digitech here locally in Utah.

I'M NOT ALONE!
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by dannyalcatraz

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
pickups are most important for genre, the rest is feel unless you really require a tremolo.

but really its preference. i mean, john 5 and that dude from splitknot play telecasters....

dude from blind 182 and dave grohl play hollow bodies and they use a decent amount of gain.

there are a lot of factors.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Ippon
What's the budget? Do you have an amp already? Where are you?

I have 500$ and I have South Korean 15W amp which is very cheap. And I live in South Korea.