Long story short, son plays guitar. Into rock/hard rock/metal, power chord type stuff (A7x, Volbeat, Asking Alexandria to name a few).

He has a Schecter Syn Custom-S which is kept in drop d as his primary and a few cheap $100 guitars that he uses to change tunings to play other stuff.

He has a Roland Cube 30, but I would like to get him something better, and ideally move up to a tube amp, although $ is somewhat of a concern (as always)

A local luthier that does work on his Syn guitar has a Line 6 valve 212 mk1 with the short board and wants $475 for. It is pristine condition but I dont know if thats worth the $ or should I look elsewhere for something else.

Have looked through a ton of threads here and seen many recommendations. Id say $500 is my top end. Id be ok with a combo amp at that price, or a head and I could add a cab to that later.

Thanks.
I personally have a distaste for Line 6 Amps..

Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold uses a Marshall JCM800 head I believe going into a Krank cab.

To get an acceptable metal/A7X type sound though all you need is an OK amp and an overdrive pedal to suffice.
you could do worse than the tube spider, but at the same time if he plays fairly similar stuff, he mightn't need that versatility.

not too sure on prices in the US (ironically in europe they're excellent value), but jet city, maybe? i think zacky vengeance maybe uses them? regardless, they're pretty nice high gain amps for pretty cheap. peavey 6505+ 112 combo might be worth a look too, if it's under budget.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

not too sure on prices in the US (ironically in europe they're excellent value), but jet city, maybe? i think zacky vengeance maybe uses them? regardless, they're pretty nice high gain amps for pretty cheap. peavey 6505+ 112 combo might be worth a look too, if it's under budget.

Seen a number of people suggest jet city, think I will look into that if I can find one locally.

Looked at Blackstar, but seen both ends of the specturm here. Some ppl love em, some hate em.
yeah. a lot of people here don't like them because of the dodgy marketing (myself included). The ht-series, as far as i'm aware, is hybrid rather than all-tube. Now, to a certain extent, if it sounds the way you want and nothing else at its price does, then it's probably a little silly to bite off your nose to spite your face, but at the same time it's worth bearing in mind, too, so that you go in with your eyes open.

EDIT: regarding the jet cities, some of them are higher gain than others. The 100 and 50 watt heads are high gain; so is the jca22H head and the jca2212 and jca5012 combos. Just the model codes are all very similar and you could end up with the wrong thing if you're not careful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 22, 2013,
From a Line 6 Spider Valve MK1 past owner that is a little high for what the amp is. It is not a bad amp at all, but $400 would be my top for it if it is in great shape.

+1 to the Jet City recommendation.
www.hellomusic.com has a special for the Jet City JCA 2212 combo. $398 new with a tube care/maintenance dvd.

You can also check here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think this guy is up for father of the year.

A few amp that when bought used would be in budget:
Peavey 6505
Marshall DSL401
Laney Iron heart

You have to be careful on the Jet City models as some are more hard rock than metal and won't have to gain level he would need.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.