A while back I thought I finally found the amp I was looking for. I really liked the Peavey JSX, it pretty much ticked all the boxes on my list, a great high gain amp with a very good clean channel. I couldn't find many used ones near my area and the used ones I've found on Ebay are collection only. Then I thought about getting a Bugera 333xl. Sounds like the JSX at a fraction of the price. It even had a line out port which was another thing I was looking for.

But I thought to myself, do I need a 120 watt amp? I'm just a bedroom player and 120 Watts is overkill even for someone who plays gigs. Is this just a misconpection? Is there really a difference in volume between a 50, 60 or 120 watt amp, can you still get a good sound out of these amps at low bedroom levels? Should I just get a JSX or 333xl or should I opt for a smaller 50 or 60 watt amp?

If your answer is yes to the last question, what 50/60w amps would you recommend that sounds like the JSX and 333xl? I'm looking for a high gain amp that has a good clean channel. I'm not really looking for a 'tight metal br00tz' high gain tone, but more like something that's midway between a marshall and a mesa like the jsx. I generally favour more middy tones. If I need modern tight metal tones in the future I could just stick an OD infront of the amp right?

Budget: £350-£500
Used/New: I'd prefer a new amp, but if it's an absolute steal then I don't mind used.
Current amp/guitars: Peavy Vypyr 15 watt, Epiphone Les Paul, Godin Velocity.
Genres: Varies, from hard rock and metal to other low gain jangly stuff like britpop and some funk rock like RHCP.

These threads always turn out to be walls of text, I can't help it, but thanks in advance
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
how badly do you need those cleans? jet cities are excellent value in europe (either on thomann or on jet city's new UK online store), but they don't really have a clean channel, more a crunch channel that can be dialled back to get sorta-clean.

if you really liked the jsx, though, and can stretch, that might be the way to go.

i wouldn't worry too much about the wattage, anything much over a watt (even over like a fraction of a watt) will be too loud to crank for most home situations, and those high gain amps rely a lot of the preamp for their tone and distortion anyway... i wouldn't discount something which is otherwise perfect just because it's a high wattage, in other words, as long as you like how it sounds when it's turned down to home volumes, of course.

EDIT: if you can't stretch and need the cleans, the traynor ycv50b on thomann might be worth a try. Not as high gain as the jet cities, though. More sorta mid gain.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 22, 2013,
I wouldn't go for the Bugera ever, my 333 blew up in a day.
For that price you should look into the Laney Ironheart, the 15 watt version has a built in attenuator to <1 Watt and it has a headphone out and a emulated DI out, which has some form of speaker modelling built in
I have the 60 watt version and it's absolutely brilliant and has so much versitility, and it's at the bottom of your price range so win win and another win!
http://www.laney.co.uk/products/product_details/157
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_amps_detail.asp?stock=13031512382658
Well, the bugera's got a master volume and it doesn't rely on power amp distortion too much, so it can sound good a low volumes. I've got a 6262 which is 120 watts, and I used it exclusively while I was living in my bachelor flat, and never got a word of complaint from my neighbours.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by The^Unforgiven
Well, the bugera's got a master volume and it doesn't rely on power amp distortion too much,

unfortunately it kinda relies on the fire brigade a little too much...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No idea. From what (little) I've heard, the catastrophic going-on-fire thing has probably been fixed, but whether they're actually reliable, I dunno.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?