So of late I've noticed something that is holding me back big time.
While speed training any technical riff, it usually takes a bit of time before my fingers get warmed up and I can start to play accurately enough to warrant a speed bump.
I usually do the speed bumps in 2's- start at 100, practice, increase to 102, practice, 104 etc.

The main problem is, after about 30-45 minutes of such practice (done in 2-3 minute burts- 2 mins of practice, break for 2 mins, 2 mins practice again, break for 2 mins again, each time increasing by 2 bpm) my fingers feel fatigued and my accuracy decreases. Attempting to forcibly play through the fatigue usually results in me un learning whatever I managed to learn.

Even if I dont speed train, regular practice, say playing through a song, results in fatigue after maximum an hour or so, again taking a 2-3 minute break between each playthrough.

How can I reduce such finger fatigue, and increase finger "stamina" for want of a better word?

EDIT: I also noticed one more thing- practicing everyday seems to slow down the pace at which I learn rather than speed it up.
Something like this happens:
Day 1: I start learning a riff. I only memorize the notes, play it at 1/5th speed or so
Day 2: Start increasing speed
Day 3-7, repeat above step, increasing speed.
At about this point, I seem to hit a ceiling. If I keep practicing everyday, I see zero improvement, or if at all then temporary improvement that disappears the next day.

However, if I drop regular everyday practice and only practice every alternate day or so, sometimes with even longer gaps, then eventually I do reach the target speed. However, this takes a tedious amount of time, as much as a month.

So it becomes a choice of either taking huge amounts of time, or not reaching at all, and I honestly do not get how or why this happens.

Specifically, it happens when I try learning a nonsensical shred solo with weird, illogical note patterns- happened with Enter Sandman, happened with Hail To The King, and pretty much any song of that sort.
However, it didnt happen with In The Presence of Enemies, on any of the solos in spite of them being much more technical than the afore mentioned songs, doesnt happen with any solos I write myself.

Anyone has a solution to this?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 22, 2013,
Quote by GS LEAD 5

The main problem is, after about 30-45 minutes of such practice (done in 2-3 minute burts- 2 mins of practice, break for 2 mins, 2 mins practice again, break for 2 mins again, each time increasing by 2 bpm) my fingers feel fatigued and my accuracy decreases. Attempting to forcibly play through the fatigue usually results in me un learning whatever I managed to learn.

If your accuracy decreases you have to stop.
Practicing almost being able to play something correctly, will get you good at playing something almost correctly...which is a really bad thing.
You should push yourself slightly beyond what you can play, but not to the point where you're making mistakes, because that'll be counter productive.

However, if I drop regular everyday practice and only practice every alternate day or so, sometimes with even longer gaps, then eventually I do reach the target speed. However, this takes a tedious amount of time, as much as a month.

So it becomes a choice of either taking huge amounts of time, or not reaching at all, and I honestly do not get how or why this happens.

There are no shortcuts... it will take a huge amount of time to be good at something.
Just stick with it and you will get there. The reason your progress is slowing down once you come up in tempo is that it'll get harder and harder to improve the closer you get to the final product.
I can assure you that you are progressing, it's just that the improvements are so small that you have a hard time noticing them.
You should try recording yourself and listening to how you sounded last week, and if you stick with practicing you will most likely hear your progress.

Lastly reason you don't get tired playing your own stuff compared to things you're learning from other songs is most likely due to you not being able to play the other songs properly...which may or may not result in you tensing up to play them...
If you play with good technique (small efficient movements, no tension etc.) you will be able to play for a loooong time without getting fatigued.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass