So, I've just brought a new amp today, a Peavey 6505+ 112! (NGD coming soon)
Also with it, the person I brought it off threw in a boss NS-2.

I've found that it has a lot of feedback and starts to feedback quite quickly, at about 3-4 on the lead volume and the gain at 4. I've tried to use the NS-2 to prevent the feedback but it doesn't seem to do anything.
It's set up so I have my guitar running through a tuner pedal, then into the input. The NS-2 goes from the FX send and comes out into the FX return. The cables between the input and tuner are both 10ft cables, could that be a problem?

The amp is totally stock, and as far as I know, in perfect condition (no microphonic tubes etc.)

Aside from replacing tubes and speaker (I plan to do so in the future), what could I do to? thanks
Last edited by ambler3 at Sep 22, 2013,
Stand further away, Sound treat your room, lower gain, lower volume, replace some gain with sustain, new pups, roll off treble, etc etc.

It's a bit confusing using numbers for volume, use the 'o'clock' representation for dials like everyone else on the forum. If you are using o'clock then you really shouldn't be surprised your amp is feed backing when every things turned up nearly full.
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
What sort of feedback is it? Is it from the strings or microphonically through the pickups. ie. does it do it if you mute the strings?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah I can mute it with the strings.

In reply to gay, It's at about 10-11 o'clock. I would guess that its not at overkill yet, but then again I'm new to it.
Also I haven't played it for long, only an hour or so so I haven't done much EQing yet.

I mainly went on here because I was wondering if I could use the NS-2 to sort it. Also have I set it up correctly?
It's the acoustics of the room. There is no fault. The sound is making the strings vibrate. Some of us use a wall of speakers to achieve that on stage. If I hold a note for any length of time in front of my stack it breaks into feedback. Means you have to be careful muting strings you aren't playing but it's a technique and worth doing.

That is why the NS-2 isn't working. It isn't noise doing it, it's just good old fashioned string feedback. Try standing in different spots in the room, maybe hang a blanket on one or two walls, don't face the amp, that sort of shit. Take it into a big and/or acoustically dampened room and see what it does. Try it in the bathroom Experiment, you'll get the idea.

Welcome to the world of loud guitar amps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Noise gates do help with string feedback, starts off as a small noise input that gets amplified over and over by the strings/amp. A noise gate will interrupt that initiation at the start meaning if its set right your amp won't auto feedback after muting the strings with your palm but will ring into a feedback loop from sustained notes.
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
yeah probably what cath is saying

nice score

are you using the x-pattern thing with the ns2? i always found it worked (far) better like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?