What do you 'learn' about other cultures through television and media sources?

I was watching Inbetweeners and learned that people in the UK use the word "fit" in the same way that people in the US use "hot" referring to attractiveness. I also learned that the word "fanny" is used much more often.

Tell me the things television and the like has made you aware of in other cultures, even things you may have 'learned' but aren't necessarily true.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Japan likes ^_^

Brits like
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I've learned a lot about Americans from using UG. I've also learned that one can't learn of or examine cultural differences without it descending into a shit-storm.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Trowzaa
Fanny also means vagina here, not arse like over the pond.

Now that I did not know
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by captainsnazz
I watch British TV so I've learned that everywhere else is grim, and Britain is even worse.

Perfect.
I was so confused when they kept saying "fit" in the Inbetweeners.

Also, I remember reading Harry Potter and J.K. Rowling would always put in stuff like them yelling "OY!" when they were panicking or whatever. I thought she was just using it as a random loud yelling noise, but then watching a bunch of British shows, (Inbetweeners, Doctor Who, Top Gear, Broadchurch, Sherlock) they say it a lot. I was shocked

Also, going off what I read on UG, British people ****ing hate driving.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Sep 22, 2013,
People from other places in general seem to appreciate cooking more than eating and day drinking is frowned upon except in aus

No idea if these are actually true, it's just the impression I get
cat
UG showed me how much contempt other developed countries have for the US, which I would rarely pick up from our media. Likewise, I assume this animosity comes from the false media portrayal of the US in other countries.

#never forget
#support our troops
#USA USA USA
#jealous of our freedom
#typical American, amirite?

Quote by WCPhils
Harry Potter

And snogging.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Sep 22, 2013,
Quote by guitarxo
People from other places in general seem to appreciate cooking more than eating and day drinking is frowned upon except in aus

No idea if these are actually true, it's just the impression I get

Wut, day drinking is the best kind of drinking.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by AeroRocker
UG showed me how much contempt other developed countries have for the US, which I would rarely pick up from our media. Likewise, I assume this animosity comes from the false media portrayal of the US in other countries.

#never forget
#support our troops
#USA USA USA
#jealous of our freedom
#typical American, amirite?

And snogging.

Yeah, UG has taught me that non-Americans really have no idea what American life is like haha
My God, it's full of stars!
I learnt that in the US you can be fined for crossing the road incorrectly.

I also learnt from UG that the word 'learnt' isn't very common in the US to the extent that some people don't even know the word.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Dreadnought
Yeah, UG has taught me that non-Americans really have no idea what American life is like haha

Definitely

It's kind of hysterical really.
Quote by AeroRocker

And snogging.

Yea, it took a while for 11 year old me to figure that one out.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
American politicians sometimes have to go on TV and convince the electorate that they're not practicioners of black magic.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
I was watching Inbetweeners and learned that people in the UK use the word "fit" in the same way that people in the US use "hot" referring to attractiveness. /QUOTE]

Not quite, in Belfast anyway "hot" is used to describe a nice face, whereas "fit" is used to describe a nice body. So therefore girls can be both, one or the other, or neither. e.g fat girls with pretty faces or fit girls with butterfaces etc etc
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by c3powil
I was watching Inbetweeners and learned that people in the UK use the word "fit" in the same way that people in the US use "hot" referring to attractiveness. /QUOTE]

Not quite, in Belfast anyway "hot" is used to describe a nice face, whereas "fit" is used to describe a nice body. So therefore girls can be both, one or the other, or neither. e.g fat girls with pretty faces or fit girls with butterfaces etc etc

Everything has to be split into two in Belfast, doesn't it?
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by WCPhils

Also, going off what I read on UG, British people ****ing hate driving.

cause they drive on the wrong freaking side of the road
Quote by Nelshizzle
Japan likes ^_^

That's the katakana symbol for 8 year old cartoon girls being penetrated by the tentacles of... some off screen thing with tentacles, right?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
For some reason Dutch people are just pricks. Americans think their lives aren't how we think they are but then they totally are. And anywhere Phil Pepper finds himself is probably fine he's just a ****
When I met my first british friend we went out clubbing that night. The (approximate) conversation we had the next day:
Me: Hey I saw you with that girl the whole night. Anything happen?
Him: Not really. I didn't even get her number. I probably could have but I was pissed.
Really? what happened?
Well I just kept slamming beers and talking to that girl
And... what happened?
I told you, I didn't even remember to get her number.
But you said that was because you were pissed.
Yeah, I was proper pissed!
About what?
What?
Why were you pissed?
I probably had like 8 or 9 beers.
And...?

Goes on for a few more minutes before we both realize that we pissed has different meaning in the UK and USA and neither of us had known. Pissed in the UK means DRUNK. I swear I would never guessed. And the thing is I had watched plenty of English comedies and stuff... I dunno how it took me so long to figure it out.

Back on topic: I don't think I've learned anything about foreign culture from TV. If anything I'd say that TV portrayals of Europeans make them seem more Americanized than they actually are. Possibly to appeal to an American market? I dunno.

And the only thing I've learned from Japanese TV is that they really are really unabashed about their brands of racism.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Sep 22, 2013,
Apparently in Japan after high school your life just sucks.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Apparently in Japan after high school your life just sucks.

That would probably explain 80% of anime
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by theogonia777
That's the katakana symbol for 8 year old cartoon girls being penetrated by the tentacles of... some off screen thing with tentacles, right?

No, that's the kanji character for being an underaged girl getting molested in the train by a horny businessman
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Guy Ritchie taught me we don't speak English in the States.

Also in America we don't call it the States.

Quote by Dreadnought
Wut, day drinking is the best kind of drinking.

Yes, I was day drinking today, I had to go to the pub for the NFL ticket and all. What the hell else was I supposed to do? Have some Oktoberfest on the patio.

Quote by Sampy
I learnt that in the US you can be fined for crossing the road incorrectly.

I also learnt from UG that the word 'learnt' isn't very common in the US to the extent that some people don't even know the word.

I'm sure the Southerners use 'learnt' quite liberally.

and yeah pissed, that's a good un.

Being abroad I found 'cheers' means thanks I guess, where here it means "enjoy your drink."

Australia was not how pictured it from viewing Crocodile Dundee, Quigley Down Under, and Rescuers Down Under.

America might be the only country in the world that chews tobacco. My Irish roommate was floored. He thought it only existed in western films. I gave him a dip after day drinking, and he couldn't walk. He later compared it to heroin.

Also my Irish roommate confirmed every Irish stereotype I previously had, except he didn't drink whisky. I haven't visited there yet, but I feel it's safe to say that you lot are all the same.

A Russian friend told me the winters here are harsher, because of the wind. I was shocked.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."