i have always been a lead guitarist coming in to an already formed band. and to this day, i cant seem to get along with the other guitarists. all other band members always like me and we come up with solid tunes. my style is technical and melodic, which is what i was told they wanted when i joined my current band. i fit in just fine but the other guitarist who only plays rhythm, tends to get frustrated with some of the more complex stuff i write. its gotten to the point where he is missing our jam sessions quite often. i love the sound of 2 guitars, but i always have this problem when i join a band. i have tried jamming alone with him to try to come up with riffs together but he just doesnt show any interest, i dont know what to do!
Learn how to play rhythm. It's a lot more useful. If you do all melodic stuff all the time there's no room for anyone else.
Talk to him. Frame it in terms of doing what is best for the band and that you're in it together.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
If he's getting frustrated then maybe your stuff is too difficult for him, or he just plain and simple dislikes it, but doesn't have the heart to tell you so.
When I talk to other guitar players I make it my goal to cooperate not compete. I never think of it as lead and rhythm. If I were to do this then the other guitarist would automatically assume that I think of my playing as superior to his own. Rather you should identify each others strengths and weaknesses and use those to determine who plays which part.

Sometimes the other guitar player is just envious. In this case it makes working with them very hard. I had a friend who would never want to jam with me because every time I would play he would take it as if I was showing off my superiority which obviously wasnt the case. If things don't work though and your friend just doesn't have the character to be in the band the. It is best to find another guitar player altogether. Whenever I make a band I think of it as a business with everyone in it being employees. Aside from competence on the instrument obviously. It's a lot more about you're social skills, image, and your personality that determines whether a member is the right one for the band. Besides, no record company is gonna want to invest in a band with members who aren't absolutely committed. Even if that isn't what you're aiming for then you should really try talking to him about it instead of us. He could just have different interests than you compositionally and in that case you need to allow him to have more creative input.
TS if this is an issue in every band its most likely that you're doing something wrong.

Describe your one on one jam sessions. Why do you think the other guitarist wouldn't like them?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Maybe you're over complicating the songs your writing so that the rhythm parts have become more complicated than they need be... You need to start of with getting him to play some power5 chords or something over the top and maybe some harmonisation, nothing overly complicated... and you need a change in attitude, the way you seem to me is that you are too arrogant, let your other guitarist play some of the lead stuff, see what he's capable of... Even if you are better than him you don't want to brag about it, thats not what being in a band is about, you need to work together to write the best music you can!
I agree with CDGraves -- get away from the melodic stuff if you can.

Just because you have two guitar players doesn't mean you always have to be playing lead. Try some chord swells, some subtle background stuff, or even just layering the rhythm riffs.
Paul Reed Smith CE-24 2005 and Santana SE with Seymour Duncan pickups.
Line 6 Amplifiers
Boss Effects and Steve Vai's Wah Pedal
Dunlop Picks and Elixir Strings .48

WEBSITE
https://www.guitarchalk.com